The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Summer Update from Trevor Linden (Season Ticket Holder Email)

AriGold

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

Honestly, thought it was a dog and pony show.. Blah Blah Blah..

It's cut off and I can't read it in its entirety but I pretty much got the same impression. I'm a salesman. 

1 hour ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Yes, I got the impression from your "for those we care" introduction that you were less than pleased with the email. I'm curious, what would you have preferred? 

A less political assessment, more raw and emotion into it.

This is the same copy and paste letter that every team sends to their Season Ticket holders.

Just cut out the key names and add your own.

12 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

See the Mike Gillis email above. It had far more hope. If this e-mail gets you excited you're a sucker. I'm not saying there's nothing to be excited about but... a "hype" e-mail isn't the reason I am excited. Prospects always generally sound better than they are. Right now people are comparing Boesner to Toews and Demko to freaking Brodeur it's ridiculous. We'll be lucky if either of them play any type of meaningful role in the NHL.

To be clear, I was already excited for the future. But I wasn't thinking about hockey when I got the email and it made me think about how exciting for the future I am.

3 hours ago, Solinar said:

10)  And my last one, we haven't even gotten to the start of the regular season, and I am already intrigued about how we'll do.  Will Gudbranson prove the analytical community wrong?  Will Tryamkin be a force?  Can Sbisa put it all together?  Is Hutton going to avoid the sophmore jinx?  Baertschi and Horvat continue the chemistry that seemed to click at the end of last year?  Will Sutter actually be a difference maker and stay healthy?  Will the Sedins and Eriksson have an epic season?  Who knows, but if it all goes well, we can make some noise.   If it doesn't...new coach, high pick, and we start the roller coaster all over again.

This sounds like the outro to a Pokemon episode lol

I couldn't agree more though, and I'm excited about how this team transitions with the Sedins passing on the torch 

42 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

See the Mike Gillis email above. It had far more hope. If this e-mail gets you excited you're a sucker. I'm not saying there's nothing to be excited about but... a "hype" e-mail isn't the reason I am excited. Prospects always generally sound better than they are. Right now people are comparing Boesner to Toews and Demko to freaking Brodeur it's ridiculous. We'll be lucky if either of them play any type of meaningful role in the NHL.

I've literally never heard any of those comparisons...

Oh, I get it!!!! Because Boeser is wearing the 'A' in his sophomore season at UND like Toews did! Narrow-mindedness!!!! Direct associations!!!!! Rabble rabble rabble rabble.

4 hours ago, Solinar said:

Hmm, after reading all that, I'm still at where I was before the letter, which is a die hard fan.  Although there have been moves I haven't agreed with, there have been many that have been good.  Can't win them all.  But as for a list of things I have agreed with during recent managements tenure....

1)  You brought back the flaming skate, even as an alternate jersey...hell's yeah!

2)  Substantial change to the old core that wasn't getting it done.....check.

3)  Didn't tire fire our franchise and try to do what Edmonton did....check.

4)  Give us playoff hockey after we were sure that we were done after Tort's....check.  (okay, it was a one and done, but it was way better than anyone expected)

5)  Finally draft a top rated defensive prospect and restock the cupboards after years of gutting our future to no effect...check.

6)  Do the opposite of what TSN tells us we should do, because F' them! ....check.

7)  Have meaningful radio interviews which result in us getting 50k fine for saying what every other GM was thinking...check!

8)  Who here wouldn't rather listen to Trevor Linden over Mike Gillis? Really, say what you will, I know you all agree with 

me..check

9)  Drafting up a defense that actually looks like it can throw its weight around and clear the gosh darned crease...check.

10)  And my last one, we haven't even gotten to the start of the regular season, and I am already intrigued about how we'll do.  Will Gudbranson prove the analytical community wrong?  Will Tryamkin be a force?  Can Sbisa put it all together?  Is Hutton going to avoid the sophmore jinx?  Baertschi and Horvat continue the chemistry that seemed to click at the end of last year?  Will Sutter actually be a difference maker and stay healthy?  Will the Sedins and Eriksson have an epic season?  Who knows, but if it all goes well, we can make some noise.   If it doesn't...new coach, high pick, and we start the roller coaster all over again.

Great stuff.  +1 for point number 6 alone. 

3 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Brings back memories. Just 27 months ago, Mike Gillis sent out a similar e-mail. Let's see what that one said shall we?

From Gillis:

With the trade deadline a week behind us, I wanted to communicate directly with our Season Ticket Members. You are a very important part of the Canucks family, and I’d like to give you more insight into last week’s developments and our plan for the team going forward.

In addition, I will be inviting you to participate in a webcast after I get home from the GM meetings and upcoming road trip. I want to articulate our plans with you openly and want to give you an opportunity to ask questions so that you have a greater understanding of the vision.

Our mission remains the same: to win the Stanley Cup. Last summer we said we had to make some changes to our team. We need to get younger, faster and stronger to succeed. That process is happening now, as we look to retool by surrounding our veteran stars with new, young talent. You can look at Anaheim as a recent example of a team that has retooled successfully.

Trading Roberto was not an easy decision. We are grateful for his tremendous contribution to our team and city, and we wish him much success. But the moves we've made go beyond goaltending. We are now younger and we are getting deeper. We've added a big, strong 6'4" centre in Shawn Matthias, who is excited to be here and will help this team now. And we believe in our talented group of prospects, including Bo Horvat, Nicklas Jensen, Frank Corrado, Dane Fox, Brendan Gaunce and Hunter Shinkaruk, who will be part of our short and long-term success. We are also well positioned financially, having created over $5 million in cap room to make the right deals for this team. That's in addition to the $7 million we expect the salary cap to increase next season.

We approached the deadline with long-term success in mind. We were prepared to make a hockey deal on trade deadline day, not a short-term fix. The players offered at the deadline did not fit our vision of where we want our team to go. We need to get younger and more balanced to be more competitive, and we didn’t see the right players to accomplish that goal. We are not willing to compromise our long-term vision for the sake of change.

We are committed to putting a winning team on the ice for you. Our ownership is supportive and will invest whatever it takes to bring the Cup to Vancouver. As we move towards this goal we will continue to invest in your arena and Canucks fan experience.

Thank you again for your continued support. We are enduring a challenging period, but your passion makes it possible for us to put our team in a position to compete. Our organization is committed to doing whatever it takes to win, and we want you to be here with us when we achieve our goal.

Sincerely,

Michael D. Gillis
President and General Manager
Vancouver Canucks

Gillis might have been overrating Fox a bit. ::D

The pipeline then was much weaker than it is now. But the spin was pretty similar. I think that this year we should begin to see if that spin is now realistic.

1 hour ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Anyone who's comparing Boeser to Toews is a moron...Bo is our Toews, Boeser is our Kane :P

7 hours ago, Solinar said:

Hmm, after reading all that, I'm still at where I was before the letter, which is a die hard fan.  Although there have been moves I haven't agreed with, there have been many that have been good.  Can't win them all.  But as for a list of things I have agreed with during recent managements tenure....

1)  You brought back the flaming skate, even as an alternate jersey...hell's yeah!

2)  Substantial change to the old core that wasn't getting it done.....check.

3)  Didn't tire fire our franchise and try to do what Edmonton did....check.

4)  Give us playoff hockey after we were sure that we were done after Tort's....check.  (okay, it was a one and done, but it was way better than anyone expected)

5)  Finally draft a top rated defensive prospect and restock the cupboards after years of gutting our future to no effect...check.

6)  Do the opposite of what TSN tells us we should do, because F' them! ....check.

7)  Have meaningful radio interviews which result in us getting 50k fine for saying what every other GM was thinking...check!

8)  Who here wouldn't rather listen to Trevor Linden over Mike Gillis? Really, say what you will, I know you all agree with 

me..check

9)  Drafting up a defense that actually looks like it can throw its weight around and clear the gosh darned crease...check.

Nice summary, thought i would add to # 10

10. Will Larson and Rodin make the team and be impact players.

Interesting Gillis mentions Guance lol. He is the only one left in the organization who he mentioned while Subban and Cassels and Grenkef are still grinding in the minors.

I feel like Guance will be moved in a trade with Sbisa and or hopefully Dorsett. The only Gillis pick Benning liked from the get go was Bo Horvat because he has size,speed,scoring, 2 way game and most important high character.

The rest should be on notice if not already at the pattern of the last few Gillis picks being shown the door. Only exceptions so far are Hutton and Horvat.

Dear Canucks Fans,

Aaahhhhm I wanted to say more but I'm hungover as F, We won the Stanley Cup!!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Thank You Canucks fans for your support, See you at the parade!

Jim Benning

GM

Vancouver Canucks

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Interesting Gillis mentions Guance lol. He is the only one left in the organization who he mentioned while Subban and Cassels and Grenkef are still grinding in the minors.

I feel like Guance will be moved in a trade with Sbisa and or hopefully Dorsett. The only Gillis pick Benning liked from the get go was Bo Horvat because he has size,speed,scoring, 2 way game and most important high character.

The rest should be on notice if not already at the pattern of the last few Gillis picks being shown the door. Only exceptions so far are Hutton and Horvat.

Myth busted. Benning has traded his own players, Clendenning, Bonino, let Prust and Bartkowski walk. He won't trade Gaunce just because he was drafted by Gillis. He does like any good GM does, makes trades to improve his team. Gaunce fits the big two way player mould as well. Just as Grenier does. In fact only the Shinkaruk trade has me scratching my head. But clearly in discussions with Travis Green and Benning his scoring prowess, did not offset his defensive responsibilities. However it seems that Lockwood might fill that gap, and Brock Boeser is far more dynamic. We will just have to wait. Besides if he was trading Sbisa, that was once again one of his own picks. Kind of blows the theory up he moves Gillis picks first. Maybe Benning shows players the door when they don't produce?

15 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Excellent post Tyler :bigblush:

Worthy of note to all those who don't get what the plan is.......I've bolded it above.  Straight from the President.

So the plan is for guys like Horvat to be better than guys like Laine and McDavid.  OK got it. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Myth busted. Benning has traded his own players, Clendenning, Bonino, let Prust and Bartkowski walk. He won't trade Gaunce just because he was drafted by Gillis. He does like any good GM does, makes trades to improve his team. Gaunce fits the big two way player mould as well. Just as Grenier does. In fact only the Shinkaruk trade has me scratching my head. But clearly in discussions with Travis Green and Benning his scoring prowess, did not offset his defensive responsibilities. However it seems that Lockwood might fill that gap, and Brock Boeser is far more dynamic. We will just have to wait. Besides if he was trading Sbisa, that was once again one of his own picks. Kind of blows the theory up he moves Gillis picks first. Maybe Benning shows players the door when they don't produce?

What myth?  Hutton is the best young player on the team and he was a Gillis draft pick.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

So the plan is for guys like Horvat to be better than guys like Laine and McDavid.  OK got it. 

Where does it say that?  Linden's comment is pretty general, as plans are.

Quote, "Jim and his team have worked tirelessly to transition the Canucks to a young, fast, high-character group. His focus has been on drafting and developing our next core while also adding young players and veteran leaders who can help us compete both now and also in a few years when the next core is ready." TL

If you're wondering why guys like Sutter and Gudbranson have been added, there's your answer. 

If you're wondering why guys like Eriksson have been added, there's your answer.

If you're wondering where the long term growth and improvement for the Canucks is coming from, it's drafting and developing.

If you're wondering what kind of players in all of the above categories who they are looking for it's younger, fast and high character.

Sounds good to me.

Something tells me that you could never be pleased. 

You have no control over what draft pick you're going to get (unless you overpay to get it) if that's what you're driving at.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

What myth?  Hutton is the best young player on the team and he was a Gillis draft pick.

You could argue if you throw enough darts blind folded you will eventually hit the bullseye.  

I'll give them credit though. There last draft was pretty impressive. :D

Archived