The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Summer Update from Trevor Linden (Season Ticket Holder Email)

AriGold

17 hours ago, AriGold said:

Honestly, thought it was a dog and pony show.. Blah Blah Blah..

Well, I do like dogs

And who shouldn't like  a lovely new pony (read in Kate Middleton's voice)

I'm not fond of blah blah

What does, young, fast, high character group, mean ? It means stay out of trouble but be fast and young. That is an unreal proposition in todays NHL. Does Trevor think, they don't need to be tough, and if soft, the refs will treat them better? Does he think the NHL has had it in for the Canucks ? Though he will never admit that, I think he does.

Hopefully they will add some big mean guys to protect the rest, and not leave everything up to Virtanen.

11 minutes ago, snucks said:

What does, young, fast, high character group, mean ? It means stay out of trouble but be fast and young. That is an unreal proposition in todays NHL. Does Trevor think, they don't need to be tough, and if soft, the refs will treat them better? Does he think the NHL has had it in for the Canucks ? =

How did you get that from "young, fast, high character"? :blink:

High character doesn't mean be soft. It means be good people and leaders on and off the ice. Help each other succeed. Team players. Stick up for each other.
Not sure how you took "high character" to mean be soft on the ice.

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎08 at 11:23 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I've literally never heard any of those comparisons...

Really?  You must not come onto CDC very often.  Horvat and Tryamkin have been penciled in as the next Bergeron and Chara. 

18 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Where does it say that?  Linden's comment is pretty general, as plans are.

Quote, "Jim and his team have worked tirelessly to transition the Canucks to a young, fast, high-character group. His focus has been on drafting and developing our next core while also adding young players and veteran leaders who can help us compete both now and also in a few years when the next core is ready." TL

If you're wondering why guys like Sutter and Gudbranson have been added, there's your answer. 

If you're wondering why guys like Eriksson have been added, there's your answer.

If you're wondering where the long term growth and improvement for the Canucks is coming from, it's drafting and developing.

If you're wondering what kind of players in all of the above categories who they are looking for it's younger, fast and high character.

Sounds good to me.

Something tells me that you could never be pleased. 

Compete for what?  A playoff spot?  Yeah, losing in the 1st round and having no hope for the Cup doesn't please me.  You never know how players will develop, so we can only go off what we know now and... Even the biggest homer in here can't be serious about our future core competing for the Stanley Cup.  Not against teams like Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg.  Management is acting like we have a McDavid or Ekblad sitting in the minors and we just need to add some vets to complete the team. 

Drafting and developing.. having good character guys.  Those are empty words, every team in the league is trying to do that. 

28 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Compete for what?  A playoff spot?  Yeah, losing in the 1st round and having no hope for the Cup doesn't please me.  You never know how players will develop, so we can only go off what we know now and... Even the biggest homer in here can't be serious about our future core competing for the Stanley Cup.  Not against teams like Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg.  Management is acting like we have a McDavid or Ekblad sitting in the minors and we just need to add some vets to complete the team. 

Drafting and developing.. having good character guys.  Those are empty words, every team in the league is trying to do that. 

So your philosophy is different from Bennings.  I get that having high picks is good. 

Benning would rather develop all the players he has in the best way possible.  I'm convinced he thinks that the best way to develop a team is by facing the most difficult competition possible and facing it as much as possible.  Players develop both individually and as a team (culture) through high level competition.  When a team has been eliminated from the playoff race, that competition has ended.  Also, very good competition is to be had even in the 1st round of the playoffs.  It is the most entertaining round for that reason.

Also, high level competition is the best place to evaluate players.  The ones who do the best are obviously the keepers.  Constant evaluation is a big part of team building.

I can see the value of Bennings approach but I would also like to know how they are going to replace the top line.  We just have to wait and see.  Lots of high picks bust and lots of lower picks become first liners so development is really important.  Of course it's better to start with the raw skill AND develop optimally but having both depends a lot on luck and the draft lottery.

I honestly don't see the Canucks pulling off a run like the San Jose Sharks did last year to give Thornton and Marlowe 1 last kick at the cup.  I really don't think that is Bennings plan anyways.  When Henrik said that he thought that they might have a shot in the final year of their contract, I think that was wishful thinking on his part.  Maybe they will but in reality, I think that we're going to have to wait for Horvat to be in his prime (25-30) before the Canucks have a realistic shot at the Cup. 

Btw, that'll be at least 10 years after their most recent SCF appearance.

After seeing 15 some odd letters like this from various GM's, I actually miss the phone calls from Burke and Gillis though, this is my take;

Dear ?,

Mr. Money Bags, expensive tickets

I hope you are enjoying these early days of July. A lot has happened with your Canucks recently and I wanted to update you as we begin looking ahead to summer and the start of the 2016.17 season.

We did nothing special, drafted a safe draft pick, no real news so I tell what to think.

We have just finished one of the most important few weeks of the year – drafting new players and signing key free agents. These new Canucks will play important roles in the future sustained success of the team and our goal of ultimately competing for a Cup in Vancouver.

Let the chips fall and drafted safely, signed and over paid the only FA we could get, got older for another 6 years. No time frame for cup attempt here, decades, no information. 

Jim and his team have worked tirelessly to transition the Canucks to a young, fast, high-character group. His focus has been on drafting and developing our next core while also adding young players and veteran leaders who can help us compete both now and also in a few years when the next core is ready.

Jim and his team, got the handicap down to single digits, drafted with the few draft picks left, BPA, added more old players and compete for what? Few years? Like 2, 3 or a lot more?

Let me share some of the highlights:

I have to tell you highlights because there really aren't any or they were overshadowed by the moves of other teams.

• We signed Loui Eriksson. He's a strong all-around player with great offensive instincts and character. He's going to help us compete immediately. And he will also help us create a winning culture for our young players to grow in. I think you'll really enjoy watching him play.

Signed @ 31 yrs old for 6 years, heavily bonus laden contract, almost untradeable, buy out guy, NMC, NTC. Linden didn't think this is a winning environment after their two years of work, mind you same letter with regards to Vrbata signing. I think, should be, please buy tickets. Can a team have a winning environment if they are finishing at the bottom of the standings?

• We drafted a new crop of exciting young prospects, led by defenceman Olli Juolevi. He was our top rated defenceman going into the Draft after winning the Memorial Cup and World Junior gold. We just watched him at our Development Camp and I came away extremely impressed. Our other prospects, including Brock Boeser and Thatcher Demko looked great too. I think you'll feel the same when you see them play in person.

Drafted 2 in the first 4 04 5 rounds? Scouting guru, riiiiight, can't go wrong if there are no picks. Led by a safe pick, a defenceman OJ, can't critique the good or bad of this for years, you might see him play in two years, if he signs and there was no addressing the team's real need, scoring. They are impressed with development camp, duh. Boser and Demko, when you see them play? Until then just keep buying tickets, close your eyes and imagine them on the ice in a few years,

• We signed Jacob Markstrom for three more years. Jacob is a talented goalie with size and an ultra-competitive mindset. He was excellent last year and we're looking for big things from him in the future.

Looking for big things if he can figure out the new equipment, no this is a good signing, no work necessary.

We are just getting started. We are continuously looking for ways to improve the team and I know Willie and his coaching staff are eager to work with this group in the fall.

Just getting started? Year three coming up and JUST getting started? What, the holiday is ended? And just where are Willie and his wingnuts? According to Willie he has a different idea of running the team than management, less ice time for prospects this year.

I am excited about our journey ahead and will keep you up-to-date as we build the next great Canucks team.

He is paid to be positive, even when at the end of the season he will admit management didn't really believe they were a playoff team. How far into this journey is the team? Oh yeah, they are just getting started, 3 years in.

Thank you for all of your continued support.

Please keep buying tickets and imagine what Boeser, Demko, Oj will play like in a few years, even though two of them are not signed yet, Please keep buying the over priced tickets and please ignore the standings, just think game to game.

Trevor
8eaf2f01-fc88-4bb0-9907-2fa21973c881.jpg

Trevor Linden
President, Hockey Operations Vancouver Canucks
Alternate Governor, NHL

This is not the first or the last time this letter will be sent out, I look forward to the next "town hall" meeting.

On 7/9/2016 at 8:49 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Myth busted. Benning has traded his own players, Clendenning, Bonino, let Prust and Bartkowski walk. He won't trade Gaunce just because he was drafted by Gillis. He does like any good GM does, makes trades to improve his team. Gaunce fits the big two way player mould as well. Just as Grenier does. In fact only the Shinkaruk trade has me scratching my head. But clearly in discussions with Travis Green and Benning his scoring prowess, did not offset his defensive responsibilities. However it seems that Lockwood might fill that gap, and Brock Boeser is far more dynamic. We will just have to wait. Besides if he was trading Sbisa, that was once again one of his own picks. Kind of blows the theory up he moves Gillis picks first. Maybe Benning shows players the door when they don't produce?

Where does Guance fit with Grandlund,Cassels, and Lockwood, Gaudette etc waiting in the wings also for that bottom six role?

I might start Guance with Virtanen on a line in the minors. Utica has a good squad this year on paper. 

Guance still seems most comfortable at center instead of wing though. He does have size going for him.

I don't see Grenier fitting in. He is a big guy who doesn't always use his size effectively.

On 7/9/2016 at 2:37 PM, DonaldBrashear said:

See the Mike Gillis email above. It had far more hope. If this e-mail gets you excited you're a sucker. I'm not saying there's nothing to be excited about but... a "hype" e-mail isn't the reason I am excited. Prospects always generally sound better than they are. Right now people are comparing Boesner to Toews and Demko to freaking Brodeur it's ridiculous. We'll be lucky if either of them play any type of meaningful role in the NHL.

If you are more excited about  Shawn Mathias, Bo Horvat, Nicklas Jensen, Frank Corrado, Dane Fox, Brendan Gaunce and Hunter Shinkaruk over Loui Eriksson, Boeser, Demko, Juolevi, Gud, Tryamkin, Virtanen, I don't know what to tell ya buddy.

41 minutes ago, blackpluto96 said:

If you are more excited about  Shawn Mathias, Bo Horvat, Nicklas Jensen, Frank Corrado, Dane Fox, Brendan Gaunce and Hunter Shinkaruk over Loui Eriksson, Boeser, Demko, Juolevi, Gud, Tryamkin, Virtanen, I don't know what to tell ya buddy.

Not defending anyone, but that's the exact reason that there's no reason to get too hyped up. Look what so many of those prospects turned out to become, and if it happened before, it can happen again. 

11 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Where does Guance fit with Grandlund,Cassels, and Lockwood, Gaudette etc waiting in the wings also for that bottom six role?

I might start Guance with Virtanen on a line in the minors. Utica has a good squad this year on paper. 

Guance still seems most comfortable at center instead of wing though. He does have size going for him.

I don't see Grenier fitting in. He is a big guy who doesn't always use his size effectively.

I would really like to see Gaunce make the team this year.  He's good enough. 

Burrows may be standing in his way but I see Burrows more as a player who can play up and down the line up and on either side.  So, Burr is a utility guy and Gaunce will have a spot when there is injury.  He may slot in if there is an injury at centre as well.

22 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

So your philosophy is different from Bennings.  I get that having high picks is good. 

Benning would rather develop all the players he has in the best way possible.  I'm convinced he thinks that the best way to develop a team is by facing the most difficult competition possible and facing it as much as possible.  Players develop both individually and as a team (culture) through high level competition.  When a team has been eliminated from the playoff race, that competition has ended.  Also, very good competition is to be had even in the 1st round of the playoffs.  It is the most entertaining round for that reason.

Yeah for sure to be the best you have to compete against and beat the best.  But you have to have players capable of doing great things.  The part I don't like, is Benning is skipping the step that is most likely going to get you those type of players. 

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:13 AM, Crabcakes said:

I can see the value of Bennings approach but I would also like to know how they are going to replace the top line.  We just have to wait and see.  Lots of high picks bust and lots of lower picks become first liners so development is really important.  Of course it's better to start with the raw skill AND develop optimally but having both depends a lot on luck and the draft lottery

I think you summed it up in this paragraph perfectly.

I can see and agree with Benning's plan, but replacements from the top line once the Sedins retire or move down in ice time may be a challenge.... depending on how our guys work out.  I think we're set for our right side, at least.  Obviously, we have Eriksson.  Then there is Virtanen and Boeser, and *maybe* Rodin.  It is too early to say how good any of these three players will be, though I believe Boeser has the best chance, followed by Virtanen and then Rodin as the long shot.  After that, our high-end prospect pool is pretty lacking on the right side, but I think we're going to be just fine between Eriksson and our prospects.

On the left side, we're really lacking.  The only potential top 6 winger is Baertschi, and while we've seen great things from him in spurts, he is far to inconsistent to lead me to believe he will end up a first line player.  This next season should be a good indication if it looks like he will even be able to hold down a 2nd line spot permanently.  Even if he did end up a first line player, then we're still then lacking a 2nd line LW so we certainly need work on that side no matter what.

For Center, Horvat *might* end up a 1st liner, though it is possible his ceiling is just a top-end 2nd line center.  He's shown some truly talented moves in the past, so I'm hopeful he will end up good enough to center the 1st line.  However, we really don't know and extra insurance would be nice.  That insurance certainly isn't going to come from Sutter or Granlund, and I'm not whatsoever sold on Cassels even making it in the NHL.  So we really do need at least one very good prospect in this position to either be a 1st line or 2nd line center.  That allows Sutter to be bumped down to the third line where he belongs.

In short, we should be reasonably OK while the Sedins are still playing, but Benning is going to have to find a way to get at least a couple higher end LW prospects, and one or two higher end center prospects.  How he's going to do that, I'm 100% uncertain. 

Archived