The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign Michael Carcone

Good to hear. Carcone was on my short list of the camp invitees potentially worth signing.

And for what it's worth, the Canucks Army models suggest a 15% chance players like Carcone (as in the cohort of statistically similar players) will become NHLers, and those guys average about a half point per NHL game played.

Hopefully we see a few more "free prospect" signings like this. :) 

Apparently Carcone was slated to go to the Florida Panthers development camp... it looks like the Canucks may have signed him over fears that the Panthers would sign him after their camp. Good pre-emptive move by the Canucks. I like Carcone -- he's a goal scorer (which is something the Canucks lack) and he can jump over to Utica immediately. He seems to be a late bloomer but that's not bad. Free prospects are always good. Best case scenario you get a Burrows, mid case scenario he's thrown into a trade as a piece to a bigger deal, worst case scenario he goes unsigned after 3 years.

I'm hoping the Canucks also sign Alexis D'Aoust. Kid was great at this past development camp and was another good QMJHL goal scorer.

42 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Am I the only one who gets neither angry or sad, but rather disappointed when we make a depth signing but people get frustrated that we didn't trade Sbisa for Landeskog? 

You are not alone.

I like it, it's a worthy long-shot gamble

The point is that guys who can score at will are passed over in the draft every year, for whatever reason.

every couple of years one of those guys makes it into the NHL and despite what the scouts say, keep on scoring

I'm all for trying to find one of those guys, much better than signing the usual pilons

1 hour ago, theminister said:

You guys are total right...

We should only use around 30-35 of our 50 contracts. 

I mean, if they aren't all 50 top line, top pairing players what's the point? 

...and all the moaning about JB trading away picks...

Archived