The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign Michael Carcone

2 hours ago, ilovemycanucks20 said:

seems like a career Jeff Tambellini type of player. What is his possible upside if he does manage to make the NHL in 3 years? At most a 3rd or 4th liner with similarities to Jeff Tambellini. Not a fan of this move. 

On average, players like Carcone don't have great odds of making the NHL, but the ones that do succeed tend to perform pretty well. The numbers tell us that it's basically a 1-in-7 shot he succeeds, but if he makes it, players with his type of stats generally become middle-six or second line scoring forwards (basically 40 points/season types). 

According to some of the management types and fans who were at the prospect camp, he really turned heads with his skating, and his ability to take instruction.  As an over-ager, we get a free asset, a body for Utica (we really need them down on the farm team), and a guy who can finish.  Let Travis Green work his magic and see what we can get.  Worst case scenario, we show the other kids that if you can put in the effort, you get rewarded, no matter who you are and where you were drafted (or not drafted). Best case scenario, we get a skill forward with a work ethic that might get us 100 + games at a 0.3 ppg clip.

I don't get the cynicism over UFA signings such as Carcone either.  In spite of being small, kid posted good numbers in the Q...not saying he's about to become a Tyler Johnson or a Martin St. Louis, but what is there not to like about a free prospect who has the potential to provide some offence for a Canucks/Comets/Aces team that sorely lack goal scorers?

As been stated by another poster, who knows...maybe the hockey gods are ready to give us long suffering Canucks fans with a super skilled goal producer in Carcone?

It seems that everyone wants us to only sign top 6 wingers and number 1 defencemen.  Our farm team is about developing kids, and finding out what they are going to be, not what we wish them to be.  You need the right mix, and so far it is about getting a good core group at both levels, and giving them the tools to succeed.  One poster in another topic talked about bringing in Prust, Dorsett, Sbisa, and others.  Our foundational players.  Not necessarily the guys who'll be putting up 100 points, but the ones that protect them, give them something to work with, and instill work ethic and a good level of compete.  If we develop properly, our team will finally have players that won't go quietly into that good night, won't take a shift off, and will swing above their weight class no matter the odds.

By the way, if you want to look over to Edmonton, you'll see what happens when you get a bunch of top 6 guys together with no jam to do anything more than live out their glory days from junior....  Oh wait, Chiarelli is getting rid of them at a discount :)

5 hours ago, KFBR392 said:

We need to call whoever organizes parades and get this s***t started.

POST OF THE YEAR THUS FAR!!!

I LOVE the sarcasm...even my wife laughed at this one...brilliant!

14 hours ago, Solinar said:

According to some of the management types and fans who were at the prospect camp, he really turned heads with his skating, and his ability to take instruction.  As an over-ager, we get a free asset, a body for Utica (we really need them down on the farm team), and a guy who can finish.  Let Travis Green work his magic and see what we can get.  Worst case scenario, we show the other kids that if you can put in the effort, you get rewarded, no matter who you are and where you were drafted (or not drafted). Best case scenario, we get a skill forward with a work ethic that might get us 100 + games at a 0.3 ppg clip.

I think your projection is more conservatively optimistic than a truly "best case" scenario. Most likely Carcone simply doesn't pan out. But if he shows enough to earn "100 + games" in the NHL, I think 0.3 PPG is probably closer to his floor.

Teams won't bother using a player of his size if he doesn't provide more offense than that, so he'll need a pretty strong scoring rate to stick in the NHL. I see him as middle-six or bust, with a high chance he doesn't make it, but a very solid scoring payoff if he beats the odds.

So if he does succeed, he probably projects somewhere in the 0.3 to 0.7 PPG range (with a mean of about 0.5 PPG).

"Success" can also equate to becoming valuable enough to be part of a bigger trade.  Not every long range hopeful has to make it to the NHL.

People complained about drafting (in the 5th round, I think) a small defenseman (Forsling), and then complained that JB traded him for a serviceable AHL/NHL-Call-Up defenseman (Clendening), who helped out when we were terribly short on D and who was valuable enough to help close the Sutter trade, and then they complained that we gave him up for nothing.

When smaller prospects have a boatload of skill and can put up points, other teams will take a flyer on them, hoping their skill can override their physiques, hence they become valuable chips in The Grand Game of NHL General Managing.

I grow weary of all the negative comments whenever we sign or draft anybody that is not likely to make the big club.  These are still excellent young players who have a huge uphill battle to fight (even if they never do make the NHL).

Cut them some slack, focus on the positives, and enjoy watching management develop all of our prospects regardless of where they might actually fit onto the current NHL or AHL squads.  Not every prospect is going to play for the Vancouver Canucks.

I spotted this kid in the video on the Official Web Site of the Vancouver Canucks and later came to this thread to see where he came from et cetera.  Pretty neat stuff, except for the negative Nellies that think they know more than everyone else, including people who are actually paid to acquire and develop prospects.

Archived