The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign Michael Carcone

9 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Just want to point out that it's a majority opinion that this is either a decent signing or nothing to get worked up over so the posts about how CDC hates everything plusbait are hardly necessary 

A cacophony of Carcone posts

Really hard to see any downside to this signing. We have lots of contract slots open. And Carcone is basically equivalent to a mid-to-late round pick.

We spent some of our 2016 and 2017 picks on acquisitions and JB couldn't recover picks at the last deadline/draft (the trades just weren't available--at least at value JB felt would be fair).

These types of signings are how you compensate (in terms of maintaining the strength of the overall prospect pool) for those lost picks.

It's solid "asset management" and hopefully we see more of these "free prospects" added before summer's end.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Really hard to see any downside to this signing. We have lots of contract slots open. And Carcone is basically equivalent to a mid-to-late round pick.

We spent some of our 2016 and 2017 picks on acquisitions and JB couldn't recover picks at the last deadline/draft (the trades just weren't available--at least at value JB felt would be fair).

These types of signings are how you compensate (in terms of maintaining the strength of the overall prospect pool) for those lost picks.

It's solid "asset management" and hopefully we see more of these "free prospects" added before summer's end.

Well said SID.

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yet, we'll still have people whining that we traded away picks for Gudbranson, etc.

I just don't get why people have to think so negatively at times.

Just console yourself TL, as I do, with the thought that half of them don't actually watch the Canucks games in full. Someone told me on here a few days ago that we would see an improved "Jensen and Shink" this coming season under Green. :)

On 7/9/2016 at 3:16 PM, KFBR392 said:

We need to call whoever organizes parades and get this s***t started.

I used to be that guy but than I started respecting the work ethic, Even to make it as far as he has a pretty big deal and to make a name for yourself you gotta start somewhere...I'm happy for the guy, probably doing a lot better than the most of us.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Just console yourself TL, as I do, with the thought that half of them don't actually watch the Canucks games in full. Someone told me on here a few days ago that we would see an improved "Jensen and Shink" this coming season under Green. :)

Please quote that member so me can publicly shame him/her :P

17 minutes ago, smokes said:

Benning says "We need to aquire a big scoring winger"..........What is a big scoring winger?

A winger who scores BIG goals?

A winger who is good with the BBW ladies?

A winger who rocks at XBox?

C'mon, JB explain yourself!

20 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think JD Burke might be wearing this one. 

Would be funny if that happens. But Canucks Army doesn't tend to break stories and I'd be surprised if Burke posted what he did without having the sources locked down.

As far as the Panthers' dev. camp roster, I can recall a couple times when a player didn't show up to a team's camp (because of signings, injuries, etc) who was listed on a similar press release or guys who came to camps but weren't on the official roster (like late additions or simply got missed by whoever made the roster). It happens.

And Florida being Florida, I'm not sure it would be a huge priority for them to update that roster release. That's assuming the people running their website even know (about the potential signing). It's a pretty small move and it could be that the information hasn't really gotten to their website/press people yet.

Or maybe news has gotten to them and they just aren't gonna bother changing that roster. It's not like their fanbase will be following this stuff quite the way we do or they'll have the same kind of numbers of fans attending the camps. 

It's also not strange for this type of signing to be delayed as far as any official press release. We've seen that regularly with the Canucks. Often they plan to release a couple small items at once and will wait until the other stuff is ready. It's not really a big enough signing to deserve it's own press release. Especially if Benning has another camp invitee that he's planning to sign soon. They would usually wait until they can report both names in such a case.

So the Carcone signing could still be very real.

Or it could be that CA jumped the gun and Burke's sources weren't as solid as he thought. 

But for now, I'm still thinking the former is more likely than the latter. That will change if there's nothing officially released by around the end of this week (or if a contradictory report, more specific than just that Panthers camp roster, comes out from a reputable source).

Not sure if posted already but here's a Pass it to Bulis article on the (possible) Carcone signing: http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/report-canucks-may-have-signed-invitee-michael-carcone-1.2298591

Some good information in that article.

Interesting stuff on the Q's "dangerous shots" stats (which Wagner says are basically scoring chances) and how high Carcone rated (8th overall). I hadn't looked at those stats before (didn't realize the Q actually kept them to be honest).

Had a look earlier this morning and was intrigued by D'Aoust placing 2nd, behind only Garland, in dangerous shots (and he's only three back, at 197 versus 200).

I'm still hoping a D'Aoust signing is in the works. And maybe the delay (for confirmation on signing Carcone) is that the Canucks plan to announce Carcone and D'Aoust (and/or any other invitee signings) on the same day.

Also noticed that Jan-Pavel Laplante ranked 10th in dangerous shots, just behind Timo Meier (they actually tied but Meier did it in less games).

Link for Q stats:

http://theqmjhl.ca/statistics/seasons/182/?type=standings&subType=1

Re: the uncertainly around the signing and Carcone being listed on Florida's development camp roster

Probably time to call it a done deal IMO.

J.D. Burke doubled down this morning with another post about the Carcone signing. And given that Canucks Army alums @Moneypuck and @JoshWeissbock are Florida Panthers employees, they'd probably have given Burke the heads up if Carcone was still coming to their camp (and unsigned).

EDIT: Also Carcone's name has now been removed from Florida's camp roster: 

http://panthers.nhl.com/v2/ext/DevelopmentCamp_2016Roster.pdf

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Re: the uncertainly around the signing and Carcone being listed on Florida's development camp roster

Probably time to call it a done deal IMO.

J.D. Burke doubled down this morning with another post about the Carcone signing. And given that Canucks Army alums @Moneypuck and @JoshWeissbock are Florida Panthers employees, they'd probably have given Burke the heads up if Carcone was still coming to their camp (and unsigned).

When asked about the Gudbranson trade in light of the Larsson trade:

"Well, frankly, I don't like it anymore now than I did at the time. How does the saying go? If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it? I'd say that accurately reflects this situation. Both trades are terrible. Though the Oilers got the better of the two players, they had to surrender one of the league's best two-way wingers to do it.

At the end of the day, the Oilers overpaid for a second pair defender. They massively overpaid, really. The Canucks overpaid for a player that's probably closer to a third pair defender."

So because two of his statnerd buddies got jobs in the Florida analytics cult, he figures he's got street cred to answer questions like an expert when it comes to player evaluation.  Well yeah -- he's getting rightly roasted in the comments.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

When asked about the Gudbranson trade in light of the Larsson trade:

"Well, frankly, I don't like it anymore now than I did at the time. How does the saying go? If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it? I'd say that accurately reflects this situation. Both trades are terrible. Though the Oilers got the better of the two players, they had to surrender one of the league's best two-way wingers to do it.

At the end of the day, the Oilers overpaid for a second pair defender. They massively overpaid, really. The Canucks overpaid for a player that's probably closer to a third pair defender."

So because two of his statnerd buddies got jobs in the Florida analytics cult, he figures he's got street cred to answer questions like an expert when it comes to player evaluation.  Well yeah -- he's getting rightly roasted in the comments.

Third pairing guys don't get top minutes in the playoffs, unless it's Aaron Rome.

I don't know why anyone would keep making that argument. There's no formula in analytics that equates stats to what pairing a player is or should be. How a player can handle minutes is the only thing that determines that.

Archived