The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign Michael Carcone

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

When asked about the Gudbranson trade in light of the Larsson trade:

"Well, frankly, I don't like it anymore now than I did at the time. How does the saying go? If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it? I'd say that accurately reflects this situation. Both trades are terrible. Though the Oilers got the better of the two players, they had to surrender one of the league's best two-way wingers to do it.

At the end of the day, the Oilers overpaid for a second pair defender. They massively overpaid, really. The Canucks overpaid for a player that's probably closer to a third pair defender."

So because two of his statnerd buddies got jobs in the Florida analytics cult, he figures he's got street cred to answer questions like an expert when it comes to player evaluation.  Well yeah -- he's getting rightly roasted in the comments.

These weasels are just useless mouthpieces who have zero clue.

On July 10, 2016 at 11:23 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Really hard to see any downside to this signing. We have lots of contract slots open. And Carcone is basically equivalent to a mid-to-late round pick.

We spent some of our 2016 and 2017 picks on acquisitions and JB couldn't recover picks at the last deadline/draft (the trades just weren't available--at least at value JB felt would be fair).

These types of signings are how you compensate (in terms of maintaining the strength of the overall prospect pool) for those lost picks.

It's solid "asset management" and hopefully we see more of these "free prospects" added before summer's end.

Good explanation 

Free prospect who impressed at the development camp and had impressive numbers ( 47 goals 89 points in 66 games) in Drummondville. He seems well worth signing and deserves a chance at an NHL future, plus we need more goal scorers in the pipeline. Here's hoping he has a future with the Canucks one day. 

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 3:31 PM, Hutton Wink said:

When asked about the Gudbranson trade in light of the Larsson trade:

"Well, frankly, I don't like it anymore now than I did at the time. How does the saying go? If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it? I'd say that accurately reflects this situation. Both trades are terrible. Though the Oilers got the better of the two players, they had to surrender one of the league's best two-way wingers to do it.

At the end of the day, the Oilers overpaid for a second pair defender. They massively overpaid, really. The Canucks overpaid for a player that's probably closer to a third pair defender."

So because two of his statnerd buddies got jobs in the Florida analytics cult, he figures he's got street cred to answer questions like an expert when it comes to player evaluation.  Well yeah -- he's getting rightly roasted in the comments.

terrible for who?

Consider the source.  The man is trying to justify the Gudbranson deal.  Florida got much less than New Jersey got for a similar player so of course he's saying that Larsson is the better player. 

Truth is, the Oilers overpaid because they were more motivated.  Happens all the time.  Nobody's factoring in the intangibles though.  Except maybe Chirelli.

It remains to be seen who wins on the Gudbranson deal.  Time will tell.  The Canucks were pretty motivated too.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 0:19 PM, The Lock said:

Yet, we'll still have people whining that we traded away picks for Gudbranson, etc.

I just don't get why people have to think so negatively at times.

Because it's much easier than thinking about it for a while, weighing the pro's and con's and coming up with a valid opinion.

Archived