The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign Michael Carcone

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

terrible for who?

Consider the source.  The man is trying to justify the Gudbranson deal.  Florida got much less than New Jersey got for a similar player so of course he's saying that Larsson is the better player. 

Truth is, the Oilers overpaid because they were more motivated.  Happens all the time.  Nobody's factoring in the intangibles though.  Except maybe Chirelli.

It remains to be seen who wins on the Gudbranson deal.  Time will tell.  The Canucks were pretty motivated too.

I hate that that too much is made about who wins in a trade, it should be about wether the player coming back makes the team better for the present and future. Gudbranson fills a greater need than Mcann does and as of now is the better player. Mcann will likely be the better player in the future but Gudbranson will still be fulfilling his duty which will leave more room to replace Mcann.

3 minutes ago, JC2 said:

I  hate that that too much is made about who wins in a trade, it should be about wether the player coming back makes the team better for the present and future. Gudbranson fills a greater need than Mcann does and as of now is the better player. Mcann will likely be the better player in the future but Gudbranson will still be fulfilling his duty which will leave more room to replace Mcann.

This is fair comment on both deals. 

Both the Canucks and the Oilers were in greater need of defensive help that what they gave up.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

terrible for who?

Consider the source.  The man is trying to justify the Gudbranson deal.  Florida got much less than New Jersey got for a similar player so of course he's saying that Larsson is the better player. 

Truth is, the Oilers overpaid because they were more motivated.  Happens all the time.  Nobody's factoring in the intangibles though.  Except maybe Chirelli.

It remains to be seen who wins on the Gudbranson deal.  Time will tell.  The Canucks were pretty motivated too.

Even if McCann becomes a top 6 C I consider this a win. We got a very good big physical Dman. He is only 24 and he's mature beyond his years. Dale Tallon thought that guy was a future captain. From what I have been reading he is like Horvat, very mature high character guys. The media is trying to sell fans on the fact he's a bottom 6 Dman because their beloved McDavids Oilers just traded 1 of their #1 picks for a Dman who has struggled a bit since making the NHL (from what I've read). They paid HALL FOR POTENTIAL. Benning paid a potential for a sure thing in Gudbranson. Gudbranson is already a top 4 Dman capable of 20+ mins a night and guess what? He has a lot of time to get better, he's is only 24!!!

Anyone who thinks we lost that trade is insane. Unless McCann becomes a 100pt player we win this trade. Some articles I read are so stupid its funny. Canucks will be a bottom feeder again? HA! SEE YAS IN THE PLAYOFFS HATERS!!!

8 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

LOL, only at CDC can you jump to the most recent page of a Michael Carcone signing and see discussion about Gudbranson and McCann.  Gotta love it!

Haha I thought I was in the Gudbranson trade thread when I was reading the comments. Wasn't until I read this I realised what thread I went to

Looks like a good signing.  Undrafted late bloomer.  Put up really good numbers on a poor team (Drummondville).  Free agent so no loss of a pick.  If nothing else, he may help Utica.  Every NHL team needs depth and and a strong farm team to be a successful franchise.

On 7/9/2016 at 6:10 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

His name always reminds me of Carcosa and the "King in Yellow" (which should mean something to True Detective fans or, most obscurely, fans of the writings of Ambrose Bierce).

Yeam me as well the only problem is that he could fit in Carcosa's armpit.

On 10/07/2016 at 0:43 AM, terrible.dee said:

I like it, it's a worthy long-shot gamble

The point is that guys who can score at will are passed over in the draft every year, for whatever reason.

every couple of years one of those guys makes it into the NHL and despite what the scouts say, keep on scoring

I'm all for trying to find one of those guys, much better than signing the usual pilons

Marty St Louis anyone?! 

17 hours ago, iBlueGreen said:

This guy will be our Tyler Johnson!! ... Hopefully.

It's a long shot but comparing their stat lines, at Carcone's age Johnson scored 36 goals and 71 points compared to Carcone's 47 goals and 89 points.

I think if he goes back to Drummondville he could definitely match or top Johnson's 53 goals and 115 points he had the following season.

How he adapts to the AHL will obviously be alot more telling though.

Archived