The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Canucks be able to deal with California teams?

Adarsh Sant

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I wonder if people even WATCH the games who start these threads??

Oct. 12/15 - Vancouver beat Anaheim 2-1

Oct. 13/15 - Vancouver beat LA 3-0

Nov. 30/15 - 4-0 Anaheim

Dec. 1/15 - We picked up a point in a 2-1 OT loss to the Kings

Dec. 28/15 - LA whopped us 5-0 (I was at that lackluster game)

Jan. 1/16 - We beat Anaheim 2-0

Feb 18/16 - Anaheim beat us 5-2

Feb. 28/16 - SJS beat us 4-1

Mar. 28/16 - SJS beat us 4-1

Mar. 31/16 - We beat the Sharks 4-2

April 1/16 - 3-2 Van over Anaheim

Apr. 4/16 - 3-2 Van over LA

We've dealt with them just fine.

We went 500. I agree thats not horrible but thats not dealing with them. 500 wont get us into playoffs. Do you notice that whenever we win its mostly by 1 or 2 goals? They are beating us by 3 and 4. So not exactly "dealing" with them.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yes I see that...fixed it.

They are tough teams and we had injuries and a bunch of young kids in the line up.  And we still picked up 16 out of 30 possible points.  So it's not like they've got our number and we can't beat them, which is what this thread hints at.

I like the cut of your Jib! 

3 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

We went 500. I agree thats not horrible but thats not dealing with them. 500 wont get us into playoffs. Do you notice that whenever we win its mostly by 1 or 2 goals? They are beating us by 3 and 4. So not exactly "dealing" with them.

Nope, sorry.  I disagree.   A win is a win is a win.  

They went 500 against us.  So does the same apply?

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Nope, sorry.

A win is a win is a win. 

They went 500 against us.  So does the same apply?

Not when they outscore us 41-29 in 15 games. Doesn't help our goal differential plus if we can't even score 2 goals per game against them, how can we begin to deal with them in playoffs?

7 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Not when they outscore us 41-29 in 15 games. Doesn't help our goal differential plus if we can't even score 2 goals per game against them, how can we begin to deal with them in playoffs?

The score matters little in the end...

POINTS, that's what matters. 

And are you going to address the injury/young line up part or simply overlook that?  Because I don't believe in the big bad California myth.

29 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

not sure why some of you think we'll do better against the cali team than before.. LA other than losing Lucic not much changed.. and they were pushing us around well before Lucic.. Anaheim lost Andersen, but it's not like Gibson is a downgrade.. other than they got a year older.. so pray their core all of a sudden on a mass decline and suck don't see any change.. SJ? their new core look as strong as ever.. 

with the addition of Gudbranson the other team might crash the net a little less... don't see how it stop the big speedy teams from pushing us around.. Virtanen? we had virtanen last year.. didn't make any difference.. and for all we know he'll likely start in the AHL due to roster spot anyways unless he massively out plays other for the spot. Overall our defense got a little bigger.. but the forwards are pretty much the same..

Guess you didn't get the memo of the signing of Tryamkin last spring...Gudbrandson, Edler, Tryamkin all over 215 lbs.; a healthy Sbisa is much bigger than the 198 lbs. that he's listed at (I'd be surprised that he's gained only 8 lbs. since his draft year when he was 18 yo).  The Canucks defense is plenty big enough to compete with the big forwards in the Western Conference.

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The score matters little in the end...

POINTS, that's what matters. 

And are you going to address the injury/young line up part or simply overlook that?  Because I don't believe in the big bad California myth.

But it sounds so scary, and perpetuates the pity party...

:wacko:

With the few games at the end of last season with the cali teams they looked better with Tryamkin in the lineup.  With the off season and if Tryamkin learns some English and the system better  with him and Gudbranson , yes I think they will be able to compete with the cali  teams.

47 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Well if we go 500 with them in the playoffs, that's going to game 7.

Unless the NHL introduced a "goals for wins" scheme, all you've told me is that we went toe to toe with some of the best teams in the league and split points with them.  Not bad for a team that was decimated by injuries.

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Not really worried about the Ducks or Kings. Both those teams got worse. 

San Jose is the only one I'd be weary of.

Same here.

Anaheim is due for falling off a cliff soon.  All their top players are getting older and play the type of game that doesn't translate into your mid 30's.

LA just keeps losing depth and getting worse.  If we have a really solid physical shut down guy (Gudbranson) to shut down Kopitar, that takes away a good chunk of their offence.  Their defence is also in pretty sad shape.

San Jose can keep trucking a while longer.  I don't count out Thornton and Marleau the same way I don't count out the Sedins.

Our improvement against these guys is going to be somewhat offset by the fact it would be too much to ask for Edmonton and Calgary to be as bad as they have in recent years.  

4 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

There's no difference if it's 9-0 or 2-1, it's still just 2 points.

Archived