The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Canucks be able to deal with California teams?

Adarsh Sant

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

not sure why some of you think we'll do better against the cali team than before.. LA other than losing Lucic not much changed.. and they were pushing us around well before Lucic.. Anaheim lost Andersen, but it's not like Gibson is a downgrade.. other than they got a year older.. so pray their core all of a sudden on a mass decline and suck don't see any change.. SJ? their new core look as strong as ever.. 

with the addition of Gudbranson the other team might crash the net a little less... don't see how it stop the big speedy teams from pushing us around.. Virtanen? we had virtanen last year.. didn't make any difference.. and for all we know he'll likely start in the AHL due to roster spot anyways unless he massively out plays other for the spot. Overall our defense got a little bigger.. but the forwards are pretty much the same..

The times are a changin friend. Size doesn't trump skill. Ask the penguins.  

1 hour ago, davydgoliath said:

Yes, yes everyone is bringing up Pittsburg.

When the Canuck's have a Crosby, Malkin and Kessel in their top 6, then we can also not have to worry about size/toughness/grit.

Until we have 3 of those, we can forget about using the Penguins model as an example to compare to. 

5 hours ago, davydgoliath said:

In fact, size, in every contact or combat sport, has always "trumped" skill.  That's why there are weight classes in boxing and that's why you don't see many NFL linemen under 250 pounds (i.e. size is an extra advantage even though in both boxing and football skill is important too).  It works like this: skill will always beat size but for equal skill, size is the tie-breaker.  Speed is important too.  It's fighting ability that is overrated in hockey (though that can be useful at times too).  If our big guys can skate and keep up with the play then that is what is going to be an advantage.  Big slow guys with no skills aren't all that valuable in today's NHL but that doesn't mean that size isn't still valuable in contact sports.  Always has been always will be.

6 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

California?

I'd be more worried about dealing with Edmonton at this point.

Lucic

Kassian

Maroon

Hendricks

Nurse

Khaira

Moroz

Fraser

What seems to escape a lot of fans is how quickly the size of other teams are leaving the Canucks behind. Oilers yes but look at Winnipeg as well. Other than Virtanen, Horvat, Etem and Guance if he makes the team who do you have up front. Not only do the other teams have size but their prospect depth is superior as it is more fully developed.  

The Canucks will be just fine. They played the Cali teams surprisingly well last season considering the gap in the final standings. I'm more worried about the Flames and Oilers anyway. I can handle losing to California teams but I can't handle losing to the Alberta teams. 

6 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Yes, yes everyone is bringing up Pittsburg.

When the Canuck's have a Crosby, Malkin and Kessel in their top 6, then we can also not have to worry about size/toughness/grit.

Until we have 3 of those, we can forget about using the Penguins model as an example to compare to. 

Agreed, I'm only saying that the winds of change are blowing through the league and we have to pick up on that or we will be left behind again.

For sure you have work with what you've got, but you also need to look ahead and make some personnel decisions with that in mind.

14 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I wonder if people even WATCH the games who start these threads??

Oct. 12/15 - Vancouver beat Anaheim 2-1

Oct. 13/15 - Vancouver beat LA 3-0

Nov. 30/15 - 4-0 Anaheim

Dec. 1/15 - We picked up a point in a 2-1 OT loss to the Kings

Dec. 28/15 - LA whopped us 5-0 (I was at that lackluster game)

Jan. 1/16 - We beat Anaheim 2-0

Feb 18/16 - Anaheim beat us 5-2

Feb. 28/16 - SJS beat us 4-1

Mar. 3//16 - SJS beat us 3-2

Mar. 5/16 - We beat SJS 4-2

Mar. 7/16 - LA beat us 5-1`

Mar. 29/16 - SJS beat us 4-1

Mar. 31/16 - We beat the Sharks 4-2

April 1/16 - 3-2 Van over Anaheim

Apr. 4/16 - 3-2 Van over LA

We've dealt with them just fine.

This, plus 1

1 minute ago, S.Mouse! said:

They will get destroyed by all 3 California teams, this year.

But who cares?

Not a contender, so we might as well get a decent pick next June.

Hey why bother getting out of bed this morning :lol:

15 minutes ago, S.Mouse! said:

They will get destroyed by all 3 California teams, this year.

But who cares?

Not a contender, so we might as well get a decent pick next June.

Will you be here to discuss later?  I'm counting on it.  :)

15 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Canucks are I believe 6-0 in their last 6 in SJ…they swept the Cali teams to (finally) build a three-game win streak towards the end of the season…I'm not too worried about the road trips. I am a little worried to see how they'll battle back at home. I'm the most worried about SJ; ANA and LAK are starting their declines.

:wub:

;)

Sad that the only hope this team has a chance is that they have to wait for the other teams to start their declines and hope they don't start trading and hope those team's GM suddenly get stupid too.

Is it the Alberta team's that closed the gap, or Vancouver did?

Archived