The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Canucks be able to deal with California teams?

Adarsh Sant

We are not scaring anyone if that's what anyone thinks. No team is penciling the dates they face the Nucks on the calendar like it's the reincarnation of the broad street bullies coming to town. Every team has guys that are tough in the quantities we do. 

I do think we'll be a bit harder to bully but those teams can still outscore us so I doubt very much changes. 

15 hours ago, literaphile said:

Except you didn't list all of the games. Canucks played 15 games against those three teams, not just the 10 you listed, and had a 7-7-1 record over those 15. While I agree that it's not a terrible record, .500 hockey isn't something to brag about.

A few points here:

1- I am tired of people only looking at regulation time losses when calculating winning percentages. 7-7-1 is 7 wins (overtime AND regulation) and 8 losses (overtime AND regulation). That is not .500 hockey. It's just the result of the way the NHL scores games which designed to make fans of bad teams beleive that their team is not as bad as it is.

2- The impact of adding a big slow defenceman on the games against California teams: SJS was the best of those 3 teams and Pittsburgh was clearly better than SJS but not at all because of size.

3- LA  and Anahiem in decline? Doughty in decline? Kopitar in decline? Toffoli in decline? Quick in decline? The entire defence group of Anaheim in decline? The goaltending of Anaheim in decline? Oh maybe people mean the fourth line is getting old?? Where is the idea that LA and Anaheim are in decline from. Lucic is too slow for today's games, he was completely useless in the playoffs (zero goals). Replace him with a fast young forward and LA is ahead of last year. You want proof that Lucic is not suited to today's game anymore: Edmonton signed him to a big contract. Watch out for the Larrson-Lucic combo!

Shall we check off the boxes? The current "buzzword" that is in vogue?

Talent--- improving, but still, perhaps , 2 years needed to restock the cupboard, which was barren.

Size, toughness, and aggression -- Lilliputions on ice. Too small, too passive, still too soft a team. Other Pacific teams have " loaded up" on larger, more aggressive players. The Canucks??? (Canuck fans are still waiting,  still vigilant, but hopeful.)

Rate the coaching staff--- the jury is still out on this.

Overall assessment: "Cloudy", with the hope of "sunshine," in the not-to-distant future!

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Will you be here to discuss later?  I'm counting on it.  :)

I will always be around for you Deb.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Canucks. This year is going to be a tough one. The 3 Cali teams are stacked, and we are in transition... That's just keeping it real.

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Here bud. 

This is a clinic dealing with depression. Call them.

http://www.vancouvercbt.ca/

Stop depressing others.

The depressing thing would be spending another 5 years in purgatory... missing the playoffs, but drafting 15th overall.

This year will be another step forward. Drafting top 10 isn't a bad thing, when you're in a division with 3 teams who are loading up for a cup run.

Pick your battles... In 2 years, we will be back on top. This year, not so much... How is that depressing?

Here's a link for anyone who thinks we will be contenders this year, since we're dishing out psychological support... http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/05/12/delusions-of-grandeur-causes-symptoms-treatment/

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Sad that the only hope this team has a chance is that they have to wait for the other teams to start their declines and hope they don't start trading and hope those team's GM suddenly get stupid too.

Is it the Alberta team's that closed the gap, or Vancouver did?

Well it's not just them being on the decline, but we're getting a second wind as well. 

3 hours ago, davydgoliath said:

Agreed, I'm only saying that the winds of change are blowing through the league and we have to pick up on that or we will be left behind again.

For sure you have work with what you've got, but you also need to look ahead and make some personnel decisions with that in mind.

I thought the same thing in 2011 until I saw what the league did in the Boston series. Rewatch games 3 and 4 and compare that to the 2016 series. The reality for me is the Sharks/Pens series was officiated differenty and it played to Pitsburg's advantage. Perhaps Pitsburg has more leverage in Crosby and Lemieux etc. to keep the league in check, than what the Nucks had in 2011. We only had Gillis and Burrows and we know how it turned out when they previously vocalized their disgust. The Nucks had and continue to have a bad rep. in the eyes of other fans and as such, remains more vulnerable to the whim of Bettman and the league. The words I get all the time in the Ottawa area are "whiners and pussies with an ignorant fan base". Who knows how any play-offs series will be officiated, I think it's decided upon by the league on an ad-hoc basis and each team has a different reality. Please forget the Pitsburg model until you have the same level of "Pitsburg-love" accross the NHL fan base--a sickening reality to me. I'd rather swing opposite and become bullies for a while while stocking high level prospects as a longer term strategy to get beyond the current rep. 

11 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

California?

I'd be more worried about dealing with Edmonton at this point.

Lucic

Kassian

Maroon

Hendricks

Nurse

Khaira

Moroz

Fraser

Are we talking goals & assists, wins & losses?

Or UFC...  -_-

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Sad that the only hope this team has a chance is that they have to wait for the other teams to start their declines and hope they don't start trading and hope those team's GM suddenly get stupid too.

Is it the Alberta team's that closed the gap, or Vancouver did?

Decline is a strong word. 

Neither Getzlaf / Perry, nor Koptar / Doughty / Quick are anywhere near over the hill.  Its just about the cyclical nature of the game?  LA, not to the same extent but still, has been reasonably consistent the last 5 years.  In talent anyways, sense of cockiness has let them down. But like Chicago have stayed fairly dangerous for 5 plus years. They have circled on the chart who their core is & taken care of them, shed the balance. And were able to do that & stay relevant because they have routinely produced good young talent.

Anaheim will be going with Theodore & Nick Ritchie to improve their team. LA Adrian Kempe.  I'm not saying they will pull it off again. But they have thrived by routinely adding wicked young players.

The real contest is now we may finally be equal or better in introducing good young talent?  Hence the suggestion we may also be catching up on ice...

No. Shut down vans top line and that's the game. La sjs Ana cgy edm all have far better forward skill and defensive depth that can score. 

Vancouvers No offense d and three  top 6 forwards = a top pick next summer a new coach and most likely a new gm.

12 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Yes, yes everyone is bringing up Pittsburg.

When the Canuck's have a Crosby, Malkin and Kessel in their top 6, then we can also not have to worry about size/toughness/grit.

Until we have 3 of those, we can forget about using the Penguins model as an example to compare to. 

A team game always beats skill as you need players playing a team game so there are no holes in your game.they played a team game only reason they won,but other teams can beat them as any team making the playoffs can win it all!!

On 7/9/2016 at 9:22 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

The past few years, the Canucks have been getting pushed around by the Bay Area teams. They haven't been able to keep up in speed or size or goaltending or scoring or defense. With the additions of Gudbranson and Eriksson, the return of Sutter, and the help of Virtanen's size, do you think the Canucks will be able to keep up this year? Or are we in for another year of 0-3 road trips against the California teams. Thoughts?

Yes I think they are going to have a harder time dealing with us, especially in our own zone.  LA is finished IMO, they were the luckiest cup winner of all time, and then they did it again UGH.   We won't have a problem with them, and neither will most other teams.  ANA and SAN JOSE are two of the top teams in the NHL right now, if we play them 50%, which I think we can, we will do just fine.  Also San Jose may get caught up in the cup hangover which affects some teams.  ANA worries me the most....

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes I think they are going to have a harder time dealing with us, especially in our own zone.  LA is finished IMO, they were the luckiest cup winner of all time, and then they did it again UGH.   We won't have a problem with them, and neither will most other teams.  ANA and SAN JOSE are two of the top teams in the NHL right now, if we play them 50%, which I think we can, we will do just fine.  Also San Jose may get caught up in the cup hangover which affects some teams.  ANA worries me the most....

That year LA became the 2nd team in NHL history to beat the 1st, 2nd and 3rd seed in the same playoffs.  That's the exact opposite of lucky.  And they're finished how exactly?  Doughty, Kopitar and Quick are still all in their prime. 

On 2016-07-10 at 11:24 AM, S.Mouse! said:

I will always be around for you Deb.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Canucks. This year is going to be a tough one. The 3 Cali teams are stacked, and we are in transition... That's just keeping it real.

Lemme guess, we're "not in the same galaxy"?

Heard that same hand-wringing two years ago and we took it to them.  "Fo' realz."

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

That year LA became the 2nd team in NHL history to beat the 1st, 2nd and 3rd seed in the same playoffs.  That's the exact opposite of lucky.  And they're finished how exactly?  Doughty, Kopitar and Quick are still all in their prime. 

Because I hate them mostly, and Doughty is the most overhyped defenseman of all time too...Karlsson the third guy to ever be in the top ten in scoring ever, the team is way better with him on the ice than not, and yet all the media guys that had a hard on because Doughty scored some lucky goals in the Olympics a few years back and is well just so totally awesome.  Kopitar is past his prime and LA will come to rue that monster contract, and Quick isn't that same as he was the year he won the playoffs for them (as the seventh seed?)....yes they were very, incredibly lucky, and the snorefest that was the final (Devils) was one of the worst finals ever (one of the five the Hockey News recently chose as the worst finals of all time).  

Archived