The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann has Gained 25lb since last season

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Should have fipped one of our other prospects for Gudbranson instead of McCann. This kid has so much swagger and determination he'll go far in the NHL, even on a stacked Florida forward group.

You are correct,

People forget that they HAD to move Gudbranson, they were the motivated party, it's not like they targeted McCann

This was a classic case of one GM out negotiating the other. Looking at this deal from the outside FLA was the more desperate of the two. And it's not like anyone was beating down FLA's door demanding Gudbranson, I suspect that if we hadn't overpaid the way we did we would have seen him moved for much less, perhaps to us!

Warning: Gratuitous use of quotations.

I still like the trade, and I like both players.  I certainly don't feel the need to "hate on" McCann to justify the trade.  Florida is so far off my radar that I genuinely hope McCann does well.  People "move on" at different speeds, I still hear people who haven't "moved on" from the Neely trade...people who weren't alive when it happened still haven't "moved on" from it.  I'll reserve judgement and "move on" when I'm good and damn ready to "move on".  I still believe we got the "better player"

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

I don't know if you've seen Ilya Kovalchuk recently, but he has the speed of Zenon Konopka right now.

Ovie and Kessel both work exceptionally hard, and have kept their weight the same for more than 10 years. McCann has gone from skinny dweeb to hulked up behemoth in the course of two months - he's not used to it, and it will affect his game. I'm surprised Florida has allowed him to put that much weight on that quickly.

He is the opposite of Virtanen who can't keep his weight down. Kyle Turris also eats a ton but struggles to keep weight on during the season with his high metabolism.

Kovalchuk I meant the guy 6 years ago in his prime.

9 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

You are correct,

People forget that they HAD to move Gudbranson, they were the motivated party, it's not like they targeted McCann

This was a classic case of one GM out negotiating the other. Looking at this deal from the outside FLA was the more desperate of the two. And it's not like anyone was beating down FLA's door demanding Gudbranson, I suspect that if we hadn't overpaid the way we did we would have seen him moved for much less, perhaps to us!

umm actually Florida called inquiring about McCann lol.. seriously doubt a trade wouldve happened with a lesser prospect. 

also JB admitted that he probably could've haggled about that 2nd pick and given up less; but he decided to settle there due to risk of another team swooping in and starting a bidding war (pretty much his words). not sure why you think Florida would have moved him for "much less" had we denied their initial offer seeing that the hall trade happened afterwards..

Benning said McCann was up to 194 when he traded him, he was working his ass off apparently after the season was over. He was one of the guys working out with the Sedin's. With his skill level, shot, iq, speed at around 200lbs he is going to be a good player along with his tenacity and in your face attitude. This trade is going to take a couple of years to really see who schooled who and i like Gudbranson.

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 8:46 PM, ken kaniff said:

An average human Gaines 10-15lbs of muscle A YEAR. Working out and eating right. He's gained 25lbs over a summer. That must be mostly fat

Average human. 

This is a pro athlete in his testosterone peak

On 2016-07-12 at 4:11 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Kovalchuk,Ovechkin, and Kessel all weigh close to 230 pounds and still have great speed thanks to a powerful stride which added bulk helped.

Kessel 230 ?  nope lol    Bulk slows you down and makes you slower out of the gate. The only way it helps is in momentum. It is hard to stop with more weight behind you. It really depends on how much and how fast you gain it. It takes time for twitch muscle to compensate for the added weight. Even then most of it is all genetics.  Ovie and kovy are just genetic beasts, really hard to compare them to the likes of McCann.

It's not hard to gain weight. But in 2 months how much of that weight gain is muscle? Maybe best case scenario 4-6 pounds. He'll definetly be a bit slower.

I'm still a fan of the guy. You need some swagger and arrogance sometimes. Kid seems driven. The locker room thing is overblown. 

7 hours ago, apollo said:

Average human. 

This is a pro athlete in his testosterone peak

Testosterone can also be added externally. Or steroids. Or other stuff the accelerates physical development.

For the record: I'm not saying McCann did it. But I'm also not ruling anything out in professional sports.

Would you rather have Larsson or Gudbranson for what our team needs at the moment? 

We need someone of his size and intensity, so that the likes of Granlund, Baer, Rodin, etc can have the time and space and not have that worry of being steam rolled every shift. 

Having Gudbranson is a little more insurance people don't take stupid runs at our guys. 

I loved McCann, maybe he will pan out. But is he Taylor Hall at this time? Hall's ranked 46th for fantasy players next season. He's cracked 80 points once, over 60 numerous times. 

He was traded straight up for Larsson, who I get  is considered more skilled than Guddy. But we have those shut down role Dmen already. 

If McCann turns out to score 30 goals in a couple years, sure I'll be choked. I'm more optimistic of having Boeser and a power play quarterback though. And someone to smash people through the boards like Edler used to do... before he was clipped by Torts. 

5 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Kessel 230 ?  nope lol    Bulk slows you down and makes you slower out of the gate. The only way it helps is in momentum. It is hard to stop with more weight behind you. It really depends on how much and how fast you gain it. It takes time for twitch muscle to compensate for the added weight. Even then most of it is all genetics.  Ovie and kovy are just genetic beasts, really hard to compare them to the likes of McCann.

Kessel does look to still have some baby fat on him...

image.jpeg

Archived