The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Payback is a Bitch

27 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Probably enjoying life and teaching. Has he had offers from other teams since he was fired? nobody knows or maybe he just likes what he is doing now. Will he get a job again in the NHL in the future? nobody knows that either.

Mike Gillis is on the board of directors for Geneve-Servette HC in the Swiss league (and probably still collecting salary/severance from the Canucks).

Edit: I guess I should give a source: http://canucksarmy.com/2016/6/14/mike-gillis-joining-geneve-servette-board-of-directors

2 hours ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

Anyone think that GMJB is going to claim a player off waivers from the Leafs or the Oilers?  Both teams took one of our players last year. I'm thinking he may take a forward since we aren't as deep in that area compared to defense. 

I havent had a chance to look at their rosters to see if there is someone who may be exposed, but every team has those fringe players that they try to sneak through waivers at the beginning of the year. 

I think you need some quiet time

32 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Probably enjoying life and teaching. Has he had offers from other teams since he was fired? nobody knows or maybe he just likes what he is doing now. Will he get a job again in the NHL in the future? nobody knows that either.

He's the gm of some bush league team... his gm OTY is pretty unearned. 

Higgins

Torres

Hamhuis

Tanev

Erhoff

That's what he contributed to the 2011 Canucks. Everyone else was acquired by someone else. Hamhuis shouldnt even count. Gillis had nothing to do with where hamhuis grew up.

44 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

I feel for you if you think someone with a Harvard education can look down upon you. 

Not so much that at all. In fact, it's only you looking down on Weisbrod. Nothing else is happening. 

I just get tired of reading people call other people they've never met 'idiots.' Especially when the other person has greater experience and education in the subject at hand. I think it is quite easily argued that anyone who has finished four years at an Ivy League school, though not guaranteed to be Mensa, is statistically likely to be in the top 50% of intelligence in the population. 

You know you can disagree with a person without insulting them, right?  Even if you don't respect them or their actions, it is possible to say to "I wouldn't have done that" without completely maligning their character when they can't defend themselves. 

What always happens in that case, in my experience, is that it is the person saying so who comes out looking the worst for it. 

38 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

He's the gm of some bush league team... his gm OTY is pretty unearned. 

Higgins

Torres

Hamhuis

Tanev

Erhoff

That's what he contributed to the 2011 Canucks. Everyone else was acquired by someone else. Hamhuis shouldnt even count. Gillis had nothing to do with where hamhuis grew up.

The Mats Sundin signing elevated Ryan Kesler's game. He also added Malhotra and Lapierre who solidified the bottom 6 center depth. Even though other players were brought in by other GMs, he helped retain key players that led us to the finals. He was very well deserving of the recognition. He just became very arrogant afterwards and no one wanted to deal with that.

20 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The Mats Sundin signing elevated Ryan Kesler's game. He also added Malhotra and Lapierre who solidified the bottom 6 center depth. Even though other players were brought in by other GMs, he helped retain key players that led us to the finals. He was very well deserving of the recognition. He just became very arrogant afterwards and no one wanted to deal with that.

An underappreciated feat around here.

regards,  G.

Archived