The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Carcone | LW/RW

Ichiban604

The Vancouver Canucks signed forward Michael Carcone to a three-year, entry-level contract on Friday.Carcone appeared in 66 games for the Drummondville Voltigeurs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in 2015-16, where he tied for the team lead in points (89) and finished first in goals (47) and second in assists (42).Carcone’s goal total tied him for second among all QMJHL skaters while his 16 power-play goals ranked third in the League.The 20-year-old forward has appeared in 116 regular-season games over two seasons for Drummondville, registering 130 points (59-71-130) and 112 penalty minutes.

Michael Carcone

Right Wing -- shoots L
Born May 19 1996 -- Ajax, ONT
[20 yrs. ago]
Height 5.10 -- Weight 170 [178 cm/77 kg]

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013-14  Stouffville Spirit          OJHL   49   12   25   37   44  --  --  --  --  --
2014-15  Drummondville Voltigeurs    QMJHL  50   12   29   41   32  --  --  --  --  --
2015-16  Drummondville Voltigeurs    QMJHL  66   47   42   89   80   3   0   0   0  12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's 20 already, so not sure what date the cutoff is for the age limit (which is 20). He'll turn 21 in the season, which could be the rule, or it could be the age at a certain date in the year.

I'd bet he goes to the AHL (or ECHL) instead of back to the QMJHL even if he'd qualify.

Queue in the people who think the QMJHL is nothing more than a beer league? lol

In all seriousness though, I'm curious to see what kind of player he is and how well he plays next year (seems to be the theme that Benning's picks tend to surprise a bit lately).

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

He's 20 already, so not sure what date the cutoff is for the age limit (which is 20). He'll turn 21 in the season, which could be the rule, or it could be the age at a certain date in the year.

I'd bet he goes to the AHL (or ECHL) instead of back to the QMJHL even if he'd qualify.

Agreed that Carcone likely plays pro (AHL/ECHL) versus an overage year in the QMJHL.

But Carcone is CHL eligible for 2016-17.

CHL players need to be 20 (or younger) on December 31st of the year the season starts.

Put another way, they have to be 20 (or younger) during the calendar year the season starts in (ie: calendar 2016 for the 2016-17 season).

Or put even simpler: 1996 born players are eligible for the 2016-17 CHL season. 1995 born players are ineligible.

So Carcone (born 1996-05-19) is eligible for an overage season in 2016-17, as he doesn't turn 21 until May of next year.

Similarly, Abols (born 1996-01-05) can also go back for another year. But if he'd been born only a week earlier, he'd be ineligible.

Also, while 1996 born players are eligible for the 2016-17 season, there are roster limitations. Each CHL team is only allowed a maximum of three overage players per season. 

Gotta love free prospects. Excited to see a player with offensive upside added to the pool in Utica, no telling how Carcone will translate to the AHL (or even the ECHL, depending on where he starts) but I like the idea of bolstering our prospect pool through other avenues besides the draft. It'd be nice if they took a look at D'Aoust as well and bring him to Youngstars at least.

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Agreed that Carcone likely plays pro (AHL/ECHL) versus an overage year in the QMJHL.

But Carcone is CHL eligible for 2016-17.

CHL players need to be 20 (or younger) on December 31st of the year the season starts.

Put another way, they have to be 20 (or younger) during the calendar year the season starts in (ie: calendar 2016 for the 2016-17 season).

Or put even simpler: 1996 born players are eligible for the 2016-17 CHL season. 1995 born players are ineligible.

So Carcone (born 1996-05-19) is eligible for an overage season in 2016-17, as he doesn't turn 21 until May of next year.

Similarly, Abols (born 1996-01-05) can also go back for another year. But if he'd been born only a week earlier, he'd be ineligible.

Also, while 1996 born players are eligible for the 2016-17 season, there are roster limitations. Each CHL team is only allowed a maximum of three overage players per season. 

That's what I figured, since it's usually linked to a date in the fall (like with the CHL/NHL agreement age limitation). The next question that could rule out his return to junior is what other overagers does his team have returning?

But we agree, it's not as likely he goes back so we'll see him in the pro ranks at some level in the fall.

37 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That's what I figured, since it's usually linked to a date in the fall (like with the CHL/NHL agreement age limitation). The next question that could rule out his return to junior is what other overagers does his team have returning?

But we agree, it's not as likely he goes back so we'll see him in the pro ranks at some level in the fall.

Yeah, I'm thinking ECHL for a year, barring a standout camp with Utica.

One other option (was discussing this in the Cederholm thread) would be a loan to one of the European leagues. I doubt they actually consider it, but at least theoretically, it could be a great option for Carcone.

Undersized players tend to do better in European style play and on the bigger ice. This would provide high level competition and good coaching, while protecting Carcone a bit from the harsher physical playstyle.

Depends a lot of how much they project Carcone might grow and fill out. If he's not gonna get much bigger or stronger, then you kind of need to "throw him to the wolves" and see if he's shifty enough to deal with his size limitations. But if he's a guy with the genetics for growth through his 20s, or the frame to add bulk, then it could be worth "protecting" him while he grows, and then starting NA pro when his body catches up.

From the one highlight they posted...2 things that stuck out was that neither D. even got a hand on him...how did that happen?...

The other was that he was not the smallest of his team mates, one was for sure smaller and another might have been.

Maybe he is 5'10 and 3/4" and pushing 180 lbs. now.

let's hope he can keep squeezing through holes like that right up to the Comets first line!

Just noticed his penalty minutes went up almost as exponentially as his goal totals from 2014/15 too 2015/16.

32 pim's up to 80 in 2016 and 12 goals in 2015 up to 47 goals in 2016.

It seems he's found his grit with his goal scoring talent emerging....hmmm...might just have something here.

The trajectory looks kinda good...

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/07/2016 at 1:28 AM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Gotta love free prospects. Excited to see a player with offensive upside added to the pool in Utica, no telling how Carcone will translate to the AHL (or even the ECHL, depending on where he starts) but I like the idea of bolstering our prospect pool through other avenues besides the draft. It'd be nice if they took a look at D'Aoust as well and bring him to Youngstars at least.

There are some clips from training camp that show Carcone and D'Aoust making some very sweet moves.  I'd love them to sign D'aoust as well.  Both were big scorers in the Q, and D'Aoust has the advantage of having good size, and he playes centre - a position we are thin at in Utica.  Very intriguing guy.  Good call.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There are some clips from training camp that show Carcone and D'Aoust making some very sweet moves.  I'd love them to sign D'aoust as well.  Both were big scorers in the Q, and D'Aoust has the advantage of having good size, and he playes centre - a position we are thin at in Utica.  Very intriguing guy.  Good call.

Pretty surprised D'Aoust hasn't been scooped up by any team yet. On paper, he's a no brainer. His odds of success (based on the various new school "cohort" models) are very high for a guy that won't cost a draft pick. And he did pretty well by most accounts at the development camp. I'd still like to see us use a contract slot on him.

Archived