The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Carcone | LW/RW

Ichiban604

On 8/1/2016 at 0:21 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pretty surprised D'Aoust hasn't been scooped up by any team yet. On paper, he's a no brainer. His odds of success (based on the various new school "cohort" models) are very high for a guy that won't cost a draft pick. And he did pretty well by most accounts at the development camp. I'd still like to see us use a contract slot on him.

I know this is the Carcone thread, but am curious what CDCers think of Marc-Olivier Roy?  

IMO, the kid's got game...and some pedigree (2nd round pick/56th overall in 2013 by the Oilers)...looking at his stats, he seems to be a kid who shows up and plays well in the playoffs...and seems to have had injury issues in his last couple seasons of his junior career which may have been the reason why the Oilers didn't sign him to an ELC.

Roy put up decent numbers in the AHL as a 20 yo last season and he's looked good in the two games he's played in the Young Stars Tourney.  Looks like he's fully healthy again...maybe a similar story to Cole Cassels (albeit to a lesser degree)?  I wouldn't mind seeing the Canucks brass sign him to an ELC (if he's still eligible for one), and if he isn't, maybe to a league minimum deal...or offer him an AHL contract.  

MO Roy played pretty well in the Winnipeg game from what I could see on the Youtube feed.  I thought that line was pretty tenacious and forechecked pretty well...

WRT Carconne:  The Good: Fast, shifty, good offensive instincts, IMO the most dangerous Canuck forward, reasonable back checker.  The Bad: stood around in his own end, stayed out too long a number of times and was gassed, didn't seem super excited to play defensively.

The Shinkaruk fanboys will get angry by this next comment but i saw just as much offensive potential from Carconne.  It's one game and its at the Youngstars tourney but I believe the Canucks have found the replacement AHL fast, offensively minded, pseudo-scoring prospect.

I was impressed with Michael Carcone, mostly in the game vs. Winnipeg, but also against Calgary. I thought he, Cole Cassels and Troy Stetcher were the best of the Canucks' young stars. But I think Carcone was the best of the three: his poise, skating, and offensive instincts. From what I've read here he's older than some of the others, so perhaps that helps explain it. But he definitely stood out to me. I wonder if he won't get a shot at the regular training camp? I'm not sure how that works. 

3 hours ago, pavel berezin said:

I was impressed with Michael Carcone, mostly in the game vs. Winnipeg, but also against Calgary. I thought he, Cole Cassels and Troy Stetcher were the best of the Canucks' young stars. But I think Carcone was the best of the three: his poise, skating, and offensive instincts. From what I've read here he's older than some of the others, so perhaps that helps explain it. But he definitely stood out to me. I wonder if he won't get a shot at the regular training camp? I'm not sure how that works. 

And I'm not sure how a typewriter is able to access the Internet.  But here we are lol.

2 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Laplante is quickly going to become a fan favourite , I hope he makes Utica. This kid is a Rypien clone with a bit more size. He can throw with both hands. I hope hes the replacement for DD in a few years.

I don't think he got an invite to the main camp? Only saw him in the one game. Tkachuk was running around making physical plays and Laplante played him hard. Cassels did as well.  

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't think he got an invite to the main camp? Only saw him in the one game. Tkachuk was running around making physical plays and Laplante played him hard. Cassels did as well.  

Accidentally tapped the neg button but I've evened you out with a plus.

Laplante is at main camp. He's under contract. Pretty much all the eligible guys that have contracts are there (plus the invitees, PTOs, and a number of Utica signings on AHL only deals).

On September 21, 2016 at 0:12 AM, pavel berezin said:

He's younger than the two you compared him with, and played in the Q last season.  He's only 20, and could be a real find if he can play with that energy level we saw in Penticton every shift.  

Archived