The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Carcone | LW/RW

Ichiban604

7 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Carcone was very prominent again tonight. He doesn't shy away from the physical play even being a little undersized, and his offensive instincts and speed were apparent. I think he could be a dark horse difference maker for the Comets this year.

JB said if the young guys earn spots, he will make spots for them.  Etem did nothing tonight, and Granlund was just okay.  Maybe this Carcone deserves a spot, and those guys are just on waivers?  

Carcone is a lock for the Comets, in my eyes. He was a Development Camp standout, a Youngstars standout, and a standout again tonight.

A darkhorse for a Canucks role too. Hard to ignore him but, I know, he's a longshot but I was getting Rypien vibes from him.

Carcone has some scoring prowess, hits like a maniac, and seemed to always be where the puck was without losing his check.

I'll be keeping an eye out on him this season, that's for sure.

27 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Carcone was very prominent again tonight. He doesn't shy away from the physical play even being a little undersized, and his offensive instincts and speed were apparent. I think he could be a dark horse difference maker for the Comets this year.

Yeah, I knew the kid had offensive game but his physical play has been a real revelation. Eight hits tonight according to a poster in the GDT (EDIT: and just confirmed on the game sheet). And it's not so much the volume of hits that surprised me as the power he manages to generate. He rocked some much bigger guys tonight. 

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB said if the young guys earn spots, he will make spots for them.  Etem did nothing tonight, and Granlund was just okay.  Maybe this Carcone deserves a spot, and those guys are just on waivers?  

everytime I heard granlund faced mcdavid in the face off he won.  radio can be deceiving but sounded like he had some good moments.

Carcone being a boss like all camp.  our ahl team could be very good this year.

Been really impressed with his physical game as he doesn't get knocked over the puck very easily for a smaller guy, and he uses his speed to chase down opponents for the puck. 

But what's even more impressive is how his slick plays with the puck still seems to be quite effective at the NHL preseason level. Saw very limited ice time tonight, but was very impressive in the short span. Of course, lots of players showed up tonight, but had Carcone had more ice time I think he'd be more talked about.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Granlund didn't have an overly flashy game but he was in the right spots and doing good things all over the ice damn near every shift.

12 hours ago, Quantum said:

Carcone is a lock for the Comets, in my eyes. He was a Development Camp standout, a Youngstars standout, and a standout again tonight.

A darkhorse for a Canucks role too. Hard to ignore him but, I know, he's a longshot but I was getting Rypien vibes from him.

Carcone has some scoring prowess, hits like a maniac, and seemed to always be where the puck was without losing his check.

I'll be keeping an eye out on him this season, that's for sure.

Does he have Rypiens' fight game?

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Does he have Rypiens' fight game?

With fighting on the down slope, Carcone doesn't really need to fight his way into a lineup. I'm sure he can drop the gloves if needed. I was more referring to the fact that Carcone, like Rypien, is a smaller sized player who plays big and isn't afraid to be physical when needed.

I'm disappointed that Carcone got sent down this morning. Thought he showed well enough to get into one more game at least. But, the Canucks did assign Carcone to the AHL and thus he won't be back in junior for his 20 year old year... so that's good news.

Thanks for your response. I like his contact game, he does finish his checks, and doesn't seem to get out of position in doing that. I'm a bit disappointed but, I think they like Labate, Skille, and the other bigger guy on the bubble to finish out the preseason. Let Travis Green work with this kid, I think he's a keeper.

41 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I looked at his highlights and this is a guy who WILL make the NHL  Haven't watched him enough to form an opinion on his ceiling, but that kind of energy is exactly what a team needs on its 3rd or 4th, and in the locker room as well 

This guy plays similar to Lockwood. I think the nucks would be happy to have Lockwood play at a similar level when he's 20

40 minutes ago, ibesawesomey said:

Poor man's Gallagher? Or is the scoring not there... yet?

This is a good question. I see Carcone being a bottom six player most likely. At his prime, probably a middle six forward, but I really don't see him becoming a top six forward in the NHL. 

6 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

People acting outraged because this guy needed another game? Give me a break. 

What difference does it make if he plays one more game and then gets cut? He is still getting cut.

He has to prove with consistency that he can play well to earn a call up. Can't just walk on to the big club without racking up points. 

I was watching the Sabres and Leafs game last night and the announcers made a good point.  With 40 to 50 players still in camp it becomes a real problem running special teams and systems drills in practice because there are just too many players.  It makes sense to trim down the roster early and send the guys that are not competing for an opening day roster spot to the Comets camp. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Not a hockey expert but here are my observations:

- Very "high profile" goal celebrations borderline "cocky" (more so than even Shinkaruk). Will drive opposing team nuts but loved by teammates

- Great shot, can snipe corners quite quickly and accurately (not Boeser level but still very good)

- Scored quite a few garbage goals or better put score a lot of goals right in front of the crease

- Quite good with deflections or quick shots in close, a lot of shots beat goalies before they have a chance to get back in position

- Surprisingly good passing, set up quite a few beautiful goals for his line mates, not a selfish and always snipe player

- Love to use his speed to drive defenders back and draw goalies attention and do a drop pass for teammate to score. Use it a lot in the highlights

I project his absolute ceiling to be a middle 6 winger in his prime similar to Burrows. Pest, fast, forechecks well, drives opponents nuts and can score maybe 15-20 goals. Don't know his defensive capabilities since video only show goals and assists. Looks like we have a decent prospect.

Thanks for the video!

Archived