The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Carcone | LW/RW

Ichiban604

• 1 month later...

Carcone has 5 goals and 3 assists in his last 9 games playing with Cassels in Utica.  Always liked this guy since he first played with the Youngstars in Penticton.  He and D’Aoust were high scoring, undrafted forwards in junior signed by the Canucks as free agents. These boys have paid some dues and it’s great to see them doing well.

12 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Carcone has 5 goals and 3 assists in his last 9 games playing with Cassels in Utica.  Always liked this guy since he first played with the Youngstars in Penticton.  He and D’Aoust were high scoring, undrafted forwards in junior signed by the Canucks as free agents. These boys have paid some dues and it’s great to see them doing well.

I like his undersized scrapiness, or at least what I saw in preseason. haven't seen him play since. 

I would like a bottom 6 featuring both him and lockwood. they'd add an energy element this team is sorely lacking. 

• 10 months later...

Not a lot of praise and recognition for Carcone, but looks like he is building off from his solid season last year with 15 goals.  Wasn't even in the opening night roster for the Comets, and sat out a handful of games at the beginning of the year because there were so many "higher pedigree" names.

Since the injury bug, he has stepped up and is now top 5 points and scoring for the Comets.

Wondering if he is a more skilled version of Tyler Motte....kid has some wheels and agitating game to boot.

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not a lot of praise and recognition for Carcone, but looks like he is building off from his solid season last year with 15 goals.  Wasn't even in the opening night roster for the Comets, and sat out a handful of games at the beginning of the year because there were so many "higher pedigree" names.

Since the injury bug, he has stepped up and is now top 5 points and scoring for the Comets.

Wondering if he is a more skilled version of Tyler Motte....kid has some wheels and agitating game to boot.

Think more Dorsett than Motte.  Burrows type player.  He is a pest.  I think maybe best comparison might be Roussel.

11 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With two more assists so far tonight, Michael Carcone has moved into tying MacEwen on the team with 3rd most in points for the Comets with 14 points.

Kid is heating it up

Intriguing guys, especially when both he and McEwan were undrafted prospects.  Carcone really made it out of a young stars tourney - talented and hard as nails.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Pound for pound, he is one heck of a scrapper, too.

Pretty sure you have the wrong guy (maybe you were thinking of Laplante who is a good scrapper for his size), as Carcone has only been in 5 fights, and hasn't exactly shown too much in most of them. 

2 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

For the Burrows comparison I haven't seen nearly the hockey IQ from Carcone (albeit in preseason/prospect games) that Burrows had. Still, nice that he's heating up. If he can be a solid player for the team, by all means that'd be great.

With Carcone you have to take the good with the bad.  The good is he has terrific speed and a decent shot.  The bad is his hockey IQ is lacking and is a puck hog.

Case in point....The game against Hartford a little over a week ago with the Comets trailing by a goal with about 3 minutes left Carcone never looks at a teammate as he rushes the puck end to end until he loses the puck after crossing the blue line trying to stick handle through two defenders and a forward collapsing on him.  Rinse and repeat he does the exact same thing seconds later after Hartford dumped the puck back into the Comets zone and he rushes it back up the ice.   When he returned to the bench Cull chewed his ass out like I have never seen him do before and stapled him to the bench the rest of regulation.

Now the Comets ended up tying the game which eventually went to a SO with Carcone getting the game winner.  The bad and then the good....  He does score his share of highlight type goals on the rush by using his speed to go around the defender but he lacks the puck handling skills to go through defenders.  And he has a reputation for being a puck hog.  I do have to say however in the games since he got a public ass chewing he has made some nice passes and has been seeing the ice better.  Maybe that is what he needed to wake up.  Time will tell.

6 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

With Carcone you have to take the good with the bad.  The good is he has terrific speed and a decent shot.  The bad is his hockey IQ is lacking and is a puck hog.

Case in point....The game against Hartford a little over a week ago with the Comets trailing by a goal with about 3 minutes left Carcone never looks at a teammate as he rushes the puck end to end until he loses the puck after crossing the blue line trying to stick handle through two defenders and a forward collapsing on him.  Rinse and repeat he does the exact same thing seconds later after Hartford dumped the puck back into the Comets zone and he rushes it back up the ice.   When he returned to the bench Cull chewed his ass out like I have never seen him do before and stapled him to the bench the rest of regulation.

Now the Comets ended up tying the game which eventually went to a SO with Carcone getting the game winner.  The bad and then the good....  He does score his share of highlight type goals on the rush by using his speed to go around the defender but he lacks the puck handling skills to go through defenders.  And he has a reputation for being a puck hog.  I do have to say however in the games since he got a public ass chewing he has made some nice passes and has been seeing the ice better.  Maybe that is what he needed to wake up.  Time will tell. 

I believe he's on the last year of his ELC. If he wants to get re-signed he's got to show that he's growing as a player. I really like him and feel like he could be a future NHL call up/fill in guy. But you're right, he's a puck hog with low Hockey IQ. But if he could fashion his fiesty game to the likes of a Maxim Lapierre, Antonie Roussel, or Rick Rypien -- he could carve out an NHL career as well as get re-signed.

Hopefully getting his ass chewed by his coach + being one of the first cuts at training camp woke him up to be a less selfish player. He's only 21 so there's still time but I like what I've seen. He has stepped up since the callups/injuries which is a good sign for him going forward.

from the first prospect camp he went to I thought he looked like an inevitable feisty piece for the bottom 6. a jannik hansen type role -- skate hard, forecheck hard, hound the puck, agitate, be responsible and chip in once in awhile. 

18 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

So basically, pre-'getting it' Virtanen :P

Archived