The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burrows - Where does he fit in 2016/17?

Jamie Huscroft

8 hours ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

Injuries kept them out of the playoffs, right? And one could argue that the injuries to certain players stopped the Canucks from being able to score goals and inevitably win games. Right? 

Here's what some players, "core" players goal totals may have been had they stayed healthy all year. I used goals scored divided by total games played and multiplied it by 82 games.

For example: Baertschi - 69 games played 15 goals - at an 82 game pace (15/69*82) it brings his regular season total to 17.8 goals (rounding up) it puts him at 18 goals in 82 GP. 

Baertschi - 17.8 - 18 goals (+3)

Vrbata - 16.9 - 17 goals (+4)

H. Sedin - 12.1 - 12 goals (+1)

Burrows - 9.3 - 9 goals (+0)

Edler - 9.46 - 10 goals (+4)

Sutter ** - 20.5 - 21 goals (+16)

That's an additional 28 goals for the Canucks, putting them in a tie with Columbus for GF at 219 putting their average GPG at 2.67 and leaving them with a -24 goal diff and allowing 2.96 GPG - Of the teams that qualified for the playoffs last year there were only 2 who had a negative goal diff. Detroit at -13 and the Flyers at - 4. 

I'm sorry, but adding an additional 28 goals from core players does not get you a spot in the playoffs. 

Edit: Double posted original post. My bad. 

How does having rookie prospects on the ice from keeping the other teams from scoring?  Miller and Markstrom can only do so much...  28 additional goals at the right time in games, wins games...  shoot out goals, over time goals, momentum changing goals, go ahead goals...  you make it sound like 28 goals is just a total without taking the others into account at all...  yeah okkkkkkkkk

On July 29, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Jamie Huscroft said:

Injuries kept them out of the playoffs, right? And one could argue that the injuries to certain players stopped the Canucks from being able to score goals and inevitably win games. Right? 

Here's what some players, "core" players goal totals may have been had they stayed healthy all year. I used goals scored divided by total games played and multiplied it by 82 games.

For example: Baertschi - 69 games played 15 goals - at an 82 game pace (15/69*82) it brings his regular season total to 17.8 goals (rounding up) it puts him at 18 goals in 82 GP. 

Baertschi - 17.8 - 18 goals (+3)

Vrbata - 16.9 - 17 goals (+4)

H. Sedin - 12.1 - 12 goals (+1)

Burrows - 9.3 - 9 goals (+0)

Edler - 9.46 - 10 goals (+4)

Sutter ** - 20.5 - 21 goals (+16)

That's an additional 28 goals for the Canucks, putting them in a tie with Columbus for GF at 219 putting their average GPG at 2.67 and leaving them with a -24 goal diff and allowing 2.96 GPG - Of the teams that qualified for the playoffs last year there were only 2 who had a negative goal diff. Detroit at -13 and the Flyers at - 4. 

I'm sorry, but adding an additional 28 goals from core players does not get you a spot in the playoffs. 

Edit: Double posted original post. My bad. 

I agree that adding 28 goals likely doesn't make the difference. Plus, there's  a problem with your +28 goal arguement. When those players were out with injury, other players stepped in and played those games/minutes. Presumably the replacement players scored some goals.  So that additional 28 goal number is likely far lower.   

Burrows is here to give it his all to show our younger players what it takes to make it in the NHL. Points do not matter with this. It's the work ethic that matters. I think many people read too much into points and do not consider how one player can improve the rest of the team with intangibles. If Horvat and Baertschi had no mentors on this team, would they really be playing the way they did the last half of last year?

He will likely bounce from line to line depending on where he's needed and how the team is doing. ;)

On 30 July 2016 at 7:45 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Anywhere the coaches ask him to play......because that's the kind of guy Burrows is.

Personally I can't wait to see Burr this coming season. 

It was obvious he just longed to stay with this team and it looks like that's what has happened. Now comes the "ol' Burr fireworks"

I think he might perform well with Gaunce and Dorsett on the 4th.

MVP 

-

Can't stress how much I want him to prove naysayers wrong this year. Even more so than when I wanted luongo to do it... 

If the hockey God's give me a Burrows SCF GWG I'll never ask them for anything else. 

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Might be on another team, that ok? :P

I'd be extremely happy for him but my deal with the hockey God's, in order to stop asking for anything else would be that he has to do it in a canucks jersey :P

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:58 PM, Slegr said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he came back with a vengeance this season and popped in 20 on a second / third line. 

Last season he seemed off, coming back from a year with serious injuries including a broken / bruised ribs in the 2015/16 off season, which probably messed up his training schedule. 

This year, after the controversy about whether he should be bought out, I think he'll be very hungry to prove himself. He has always thrived at being an underdog and I think he'll demonstrate his worth this season.

The older you get, the longer you need to heal.  (Lol, I know.) 

He has a lot to offer even if he doesn't pot 20... and we have the cap space for at least one of these venerable vets -- I liked Higgins, but if you are keeping one vet for the sake of character and mentoring, Burr is the guy.  I hope they retire his number some day.  (And to buy him out, when he only has 1 year left?  Hardly necessary.)

Archived