The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Caps re-sign F Marcus Johansson [3 year x $4.58M AAV]

http://www.tsn.ca/caps-johansson-settle-before-arbitration-1.529559

The Washington Capitals and forward Marcus Johansson waited until the last moment, but got a deal done and won’t have to go to arbitration. 

They had an arbitration hearing slated for Wednesday morning, but agreed on a three-year, $13.75 million deal minutes before the deadline.

He will make $4.25 million next season and $4.75 million in both 2017-18 and 2018-19.

Johansson, 25, scored 17 goals and 29 assists over 74 games with the Caps in 2015-16, his sixth year with the club. He added seven points over 12 playoff games as well.

The native of Sweden has 78 goals and 154 assists for 232 points over 419 career games in the NHL. He was selected in the first round, 24th overall, of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. He won a silver medal for Team Sweden at the 2014 Olympics.

Isabelle KhurshudyanVerified account @ikhurshudyan 21m21 minutes ago

By the way, Johansson's arbitration hearing was scheduled for 9 a.m. The two sides officially settled at 8:57 a.m.

Isabelle Khurshudyan @ikhurshudyan Jul 18

Marcus Johansson asks for $5.25 million in arbitration, Caps offer $3.85 million

Isabelle Khurshudyan @ikhurshudyan 29m29 minutes ago

Johansson has a five-team no-trade clause in the last two years of his deal, per source.

As expected. 

Caps are serious contenders,  they aren't going to make moves to dump cap and get weaker as some suggest.  After their window sure,  they might shed some salary,  but not while their a president trophy team. 

3 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Caps are serious contenders,  they aren't going to make moves to dump cap and get weaker as some suggest.  After their window sure,  they might shed some salary,  but not while their a president trophy team. 

They were always going to be a max cap team while their window is open. 

Only asset not signed for this season is Orlov who just needs to be qualified I believe. 

This just means that if they want to tweak their roster during the season it has to be salary in - salary out more or less.

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Only asset not signed for this season is Orlov who just needs to be qualified I believe. 

This just means that if they want to tweak their roster during the season it has to be salary in - salary out more or less.

which gets easier as you move towards the Trade Deadline if they are looking to add a piece or two for another run.

27 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

They must be trading someone, no?   They only have 3.4M left to add 2 players including Orlov who was paid 2.25M last year (2M cap hit). 

11 minutes ago, mll said:

They must be trading someone, no?   They only have 3.4M left to add 2 players including Orlov who was paid 2.25M last year (2M cap hit). 

Once Orlov is signed all they'll need is an 8th defenseman. That's a good spot to insert one of their AHL guys on a very reasonable salary I would believe.  

Doesn't create much competition in camp,  but then again contenders don't generally have a lot of roster spots up for grabs.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Term seems a bit odd.

Bought one year of free agency.

To me, the contract seems perfect for trade value. Long enough to be considered a long-term asset, but not so long that it's an anchor if he flops or gets injury trouble.

Caps definitely need to make a trade. Orlov alone will eat up all of their remaining cap room, and they will need some wiggle-room during the season for call-ups/etc. With a >$4.5 million salary, and no form of trade protection, Johansson is the obvious candidate. He's a very good player, but that is a steep price for what he brings. They sort of already lined up a replacement for cheap by grabbing Brett Connolly in free agency.

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

To me, the contract seems perfect for trade value. Long enough to be considered a long-term asset, but not so long that it's an anchor if he flops or gets injury trouble.

Caps definitely need to make a trade. Orlov alone will eat up all of their remaining cap room, and they will need some wiggle-room during the season for call-ups/etc. With a >$4.5 million salary, and no form of trade protection, Johansson is the obvious candidate. He's a very good player, but that is a steep price for what he brings. They sort of already lined up a replacement for cheap by grabbing Brett Connolly in free agency.

That's a great point that makes complete sense.

31 minutes ago, D-Money said:

You're right, this deal was just to by them more time to finding a good trade.  It wont surprise me if a trade happens after the season has started, but I see no way he's still a member of the caps by next year. 

As for replacements Burakovsky had already taken over the 2nd line LW spot.  They've brought in Eller for the versatility down the middle and they also have high expectations for Vrana to make the NHL jump and possible take the 3rd line LW. 

What this also does (along with other recent signings) is begin to establish a market value for Horvat when he re-signs. Johansson and Killorn, although a few years older, produced similar point totals to Horvat (who has only had the one 40 point season, but can be expected to continue at that pace or higher). Killorn got $4.45m, Johansson gets ~$4.58m. Victor Rask was signed a week ago to $4m. On the other end of the spectrum, Reilly Smith and JT Miller both got less than their value suggests.

None of these are exact comparables to Horvat but it gives you something to think about. Johansson has shown good consistency with 5 straight 40 point seasons (if you rate the lockout year over a full 82) so Horvat would have to do something special next year to approach $4.5m, but I think he's in the ballpark of $4m depending on how he performs next season.

• b3. changed the title to [Signing] Caps re-sign F Marcus Johansson [3 year x $4.58M AAV]

Archived