The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Islanders considering move from Brooklyn to Queens

The New York Islanders are reportedly in talks with Major League Baseball's New York Mets about building a new arena across from Citi Field, according to sources of Bloomberg's Scott Soshnick.

The discussions are focused on a new rink at Willets Point in Queens that would serve as the new home for the hockey club if Islanders owners can't get Barclays Center officials to agree on hockey-specific upgrades to the venue, reports Soshnick.

In the Islanders' indecisive debut season in Brooklyn last year, fans were dissatisfied with obstructed views at the 15,700-seat arena, while players were believed to be unhappy with the commute from Long Island as well as substandard ice quality in a venue designed for basketball.

The Islanders and officials from Barclays Center declined to comment when approached by Soshnick.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1062840

They are getting paid quite handsomely to use that building but the fact is that the fit from the fans perspective has been very poor. The views from the obstructed seats are rather awful and there are far too many of those seats. Hope they are able to solve the issue in Brooklyn.

5 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

The arena is a terrible hockey venue. I always hated seeing that car along the boards.

LOL. They should play in old stadiums of the team they are playing against. For example: Vancouver Canucks @ New York Islanders in Pacific Coliseum with the Islander as the home team.

So move the team twice in less than a decade? How doe that keep season ticket holders? There are about 4 teams in that vicinity. Rangers, Islanders, Buffalo and New Jersey. To me, that is over saturation. I say send the Islanders to Quebec and draw in some new and easy to win over fanbase. Why fight for the same fans of so many teams when you can generate a rivalry between Montreal and Quebec City then sit back relax and watch the seats fill.

14 minutes ago, smokes said:

So move the team twice in less than a decade? How doe that keep season ticket holders? There are about 4 teams in that vicinity. Rangers, Islanders, Buffalo and New Jersey. To me, that is over saturation. I say send the Islanders to Quebec and draw in some new and easy to win over fanbase. Why fight for the same fans of so many teams when you can generate a rivalry between Montreal and Quebec City then sit back relax and watch the seats fill.

No way, the Isles are a historic franchise. Moving them is disastrous from a PR standpoint.

A move to Queens would have made sense before they moved to Brooklyn.. it's a bit late now. Wouldn't show well on the franchise if it's moved yet again in such a short period of time.

It could all be salvaged if they build one of the better venues in the NHL in Queens though, the only way to justify such a move. Even then, to keep moving the team around is a bit silly from any point of view. 

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Not saying this is the reason but the Islanders have so much history that it'd be a shame to move the franchise from New York and make it a relocated team.

Archived