The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - Tampa Bay

1 hour ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

I wouldn't think so either, which is why you may have to sweeten the deal a little more.

I guess what I mean is that I don't see him moving Palat unless it is a ridiculous homerun that he can't ignore.  I said the same about Killorn.  These are the gems that make them good.  If they absolutely have to do a cap deal I would think that it'd be Garrison, Filpula, or Callahan.

I think that the value you suggested is close, maybe needing some picks, but I just don't think he's for sale, unless someone wants to do something just dumb.

3 hours ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

I wanted to avoid the 1st round pick, mostly because as much as Vancouver has gotten better, or attempted to, I don't see them as a playoff team this year, so that 1st is a very valuable pick. 

As for a prospect, I think you're right, Subban is more of a thrown in, so maybe we'd have to include someone else - hopefully not a Grade A. 

First of all, valiant effort on this proposal, def. closer in value than some other posts floating around CDC.  Also a smart idea to try and poach value from a cap-constrained team like Tampa.

That being said, as you've noted I would also think the value would be slightly below what would be considered a palatable return for him.  He's of course part of a young core including Hedman, Stamkos, Tyler Johnson, Nikita Kucherov and possibly Drouin and Stevie's one of the Y's-est GM's in the league so I doubt he would give up an established foundation for the foreseeable future without first shedding salary baggage (e.g. Bishop given Vasilievskiy's emergence, probably also Filppula).  That being said, if we give up a 2nd on top I could see it potentially happening if the other kids are eating up all the cap space and Stevie's in a cap bind.      

Palat even if he had a down year was on pace for 52 points. He is talked about as one of the best defensive wingers in the league. I believe he has even earned Selke votes over the years.

This isn't a player that's coming cheap. He is undoubtedly a top line talent and I simply can't see the conversation starting with Hansen. Don't think the Canucks are willing to give up the pieces to even get into the conversation.

2 hours ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

Palat may not be the most physically imposing player out there, but I think as a team if you're capable of putting up 4 goals a night, it forces teams to play hockey and not run around after skilled guys. 

Sorry,  but even in their heyday of 2009-11 the Canucks weren't even close to averaging 4 goals per game,  and adding one 25 goal guy like Palat isn't going to get them to that imo. 

For the way the team is assembled right now,  I'd value some size/grit over smaller/skilled guy. 

5 hours ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

Now, before you get your pitchforks out and get the CDC gallows out of storage, give me a chance. 

The Canucks are looking for a second line winger who can contribute offensively, who skates well, has a good two-way game and has some size. The player that fits that bill to me, that no one really mentions is Ondrej Palat. 

I've liked Palat for a while now and think he could be a guy the Canucks target in a trade. 

Tampa Bay

Ondrej Palat

Vancouver 

Jannik Hansen

Jordan Subban

In Hansen Tampa gets a versatile winger who can play up and down the line up, has speed, a bit of size and a great two way game. They get a defensive prospect in Subban, who, in my opinion, probably won't play an NHL game in Vancouver. Tampa also gets a little cap relief in the deal, but they're getting a player who is 5 years older than Palat. 

Tampa is in "win now" mode, and adding a guy with a few more years experience in the league, a player like Hansen, could help them in that "win now" mode. 

Pitch forks ready? Gallows good to go? Alright. Let me have it. 

With Tampa's cap concerns and Hansen's cap friendly hit this just might work.  

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I think for a player like that they would want Boeser or a 1st added,to me I'd try and go in with those two plus a 2nd this up coming draft and 3rd year after!!!Or add a D man like a Sbisa and 3rd as we have one to many D men!!!

Way too much,  and not a chance I give up boeser in that deal.  At least he plays a harder nosed game.

We need a scoring winger,  but not for possibly more rounded 1st liner,  PLUS our first,  plus extras. 

I think a sweeting of the above proposed deals could be happen,  but you gotta supply a deep package if you don't want to give up the assets we must keep. 

Fact is,  many teams are better stocked with bigger talent they can afford to lose,  so our deals look broad,  but ultimately weak. 

6 hours ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

Now, before you get your pitchforks out and get the CDC gallows out of storage, give me a chance. 

The Canucks are looking for a second line winger who can contribute offensively, who skates well, has a good two-way game and has some size. The player that fits that bill to me, that no one really mentions is Ondrej Palat. 

I've liked Palat for a while now and think he could be a guy the Canucks target in a trade. 

Tampa Bay

Ondrej Palat

Vancouver 

Jannik Hansen

Jordan Subban

In Hansen Tampa gets a versatile winger who can play up and down the line up, has speed, a bit of size and a great two way game. They get a defensive prospect in Subban, who, in my opinion, probably won't play an NHL game in Vancouver. Tampa also gets a little cap relief in the deal, but they're getting a player who is 5 years older than Palat. 

Tampa is in "win now" mode, and adding a guy with a few more years experience in the league, a player like Hansen, could help them in that "win now" mode. 

Pitch forks ready? Gallows good to go? Alright. Let me have it. 

I was actually thinking about making a very similar proposal, I was hoping they would go after Killorn but that is no longer an option, so Palat is plan B. 

Good deal but you probably have to add a little more like a pick or two, the only problem I have is I doubt this deal gets done til next year when Palat is an RFA. But I can wait.

I think at the end of the day, regardless of who we pick up in a trade, we will have to add. A decent prospect anda pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Sorry,  but even in their heyday of 2009-11 the Canucks weren't even close to averaging 4 goals per game,  and adding one 25 goal guy like Palat isn't going to get them to that imo. 

You're probably right. I should have scaled that number back a bit. Overall, a 25 goal guy, or 60 point guy does help the cause, but not to the limits I was saying.

If the Canucks really are going for it, presuming "it" is a playoff birth (and additional revenue) then they need to add, and will likely over pay by doing so.

It's a reasonable offer, however this is Palat we are talking about. Anyone thinking Palat is just a second line-player, will be pleasantly surprised by him if we were to get him he would be great on the first line **Once the sedins are gone :(**. TB are in a win now sort of mode, however Yzerman isn't throwing out the kitchen sink really to get that cup, he's still building and the prospects Tampa have managed to keep on board show that. 

Hansen has a very, very reasonable contract and he is highly talented, works hard, great defensive tracking. He gets points as well, but Palat is a 60 point kinda guy he's proven that as he's achieved that. One of Tampa's most loved lines is the triplets line, although there is some fear that once you break that triplet line the respective players suffer points wise, which is something if the Canucks were to take them on I would be slightly fearful of, not quite to the extent of splitting the Sedins of course! But Johnson and Palat have played together since the AHL days and have a great chemistry. From Tampas perspective getting rid of Filppula is a better option he's got that NTC and his production is declining however his defensive play remains solid.

**Can't comment on Jordan Subban haven't seen enough of him to make a solid judgement* 

Overall, I feel it's highly unlikely Tampa would accept this. Getting rid of Bishops contract remains a priority for cap space and the recent buy outs are helping a little bit, get rid of Filppula and that makes the situation much, much better. Tampa maybe slightly win now but they have a young core and they will be around for a few more years Palats only 25! You also have to think from TB perspective will Hansen really deliver for them on the second line while playing with Kuch and Johnson or would he be able a good fit on the first line play over Killorn to be with Stamkos and Drouin.

Archived