The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Transgender student files lawsuit against school district over bathroom use

Toews

As long as whoevers in the washroom isn't leering or bothering me, I don't care. A guy in a dress who wants to use the ladies room? Well, if the ladies are okay with that, why should it bother me?

Hey, I'm all for equality and acceptance, which is why I propose women no longer need to wear tops in public, just like the men.

4 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

What about men abusing boys in male bathrooms or women abusing girls in female bathrooms? How do you stop that?

I think the bolded is the issue with so many positions, thinking that there is some ultimate solution.  And it is the wrong question, IMO.

However common the abuse you describe is in the world, is it worth increasing that number by those abused by the opposite gender by allowing unhindered access in bathrooms?  Yes, same-sex abuse happens in bathrooms today.  Yes, opposite-sex abuse happens in bathrooms today.  But less opposite-sex abuse will happen in bathrooms if there is no better solution to the transgender bathroom issue than enforcing gender-based bathrooms.

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I think the bolded is the issue with so many positions, thinking that there is some ultimate solution.  And it is the wrong question, IMO.

However common the abuse you describe is in the world, is it worth increasing that number by those abused by the opposite gender by allowing unhindered access in bathrooms?  Yes, same-sex abuse happens in bathrooms today.  Yes, opposite-sex abuse happens in bathrooms today.  But less opposite-sex abuse will happen in bathrooms if there is no better solution to the transgender bathroom issue than enforcing gender-based bathrooms.

I wasn't trying to find a final solution. I was making this exact point. Unfortunately, there will always be abuse in the world. It's just the way the world is right now, and it sucks.

But instead of saying transgender people wanting to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with are the problem, we should identify the problem and not a people group, and try to fix it that way. It'll take a while to fix, but with proper education and procedures it can be done. But adding to the stress of people who are already going through a lot is not the way to do it IMO.

How would you enforce it, by the way?

2 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

DUDE!... Say what you want about transgendered people and society, but I will not sit here idly by while you insult the use of Ketchup on KD. It is delicious. Shame on you.

Absolutely! I have both tabasco and siracha ketchup just for when I have KD (or grilled cheese perhaps as well).

But once again we're debating an absolutely stupid issue where the people supporting the same birth gender bathroom conformity don't have the ability to think through how that would ever be enforced short of posting security guards at every bathroom. If you're already doing that, then why even worry about the safety of the people inside?

Can't we all just use the same washrooms already?

And after several years of extensive education in human physiology, I can confirm with minimal doubt that everybody poops.

Heck, I don't even like it when other men are in the men's washroom with me. So who cares.

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

I wasn't trying to find a final solution. I was making this exact point. Unfortunately, there will always be abuse in the world. It's just the way the world is right now, and it sucks.

But instead of saying transgender people wanting to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with are the problem, we should identify the problem and not a people group, and try to fix it that way. It'll take a while to fix, but with proper education and procedures it can be done. But adding to the stress of people who are already going through a lot is not the way to do it IMO.

How would you enforce it, by the way?

Just so I'm clear, I don't think the trans-gendered are the problem, and never meant that implied anywhere :)

I agree it will take time to fix, because it will take time for people to agree on a solution.  Education and procedures will matter more for adoption rather than solving, IMO, and maybe that is what you mean too?  I'm not sure how the stress can be avoided until this is resolved.  Either there will be stress with the trans-gendered who have difficulty coping with restrictions or with those cis people who may feel threatened by the presence (real or potential) of someone of the opposite sex in the bathroom with them.

Enforcing it strongly is complicated.  I don't like the idea of the bracelet ID that this student has to wear, since that singles him out.  It might be a gentle solution overall, but it still bugs me personally, for whatever that's worth.  I think it's better off to define the policy, and leave it on the people to police it, kinda like it already was before gender identity complicated matters.  If someone sees a possible problem, raise it up to whatever people in charge (guard, teacher, janitor, etc.) in a given building/institution/whatever, and people in those roles should have proper training to deal with it properly, showing respect and/or authority as needed.

A couple years ago, I saw a person at the county fair who was either trans-gendered or just a cross-dresser.  High heels, short skirt, halter top (abundantly filled), serious biceps and a face like Bob Hoskins, with the 5 o'clock shadow to go with it.  That person may well have been completely harmless, but I'd be concerned about her/him sharing a public bathroom with my young daughter (if I had one). 

21 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

DUDE!... Say what you want about transgendered people and society, but I will not sit here idly by while you insult the use of Ketchup on KD. It is delicious. Shame on you.

That's disgusting, unmoral, and overall reprehensible.  You people should be gathered up and exiled to the furthest island possible for this culinary abomination.

Just wait until the otherkin demand their own bathroom...

Getting tired of these special snowflakes.

Gender is binary. Pick one and use the crapper that is appropriate. I am not using your retarded special pronouns.

If you identify as an attack helicopter or something hold you piss and $&!# till you get home.

On 2016-07-26 at 11:19 AM, Neversummer said:

I believe the fear or resistance is not with actual transgendered people using their preferred sex bathroom, it's that if you have a law that allows this, then you'll have the possibility of people looking like males going into female bathrooms and vice versa.  People don't see the problem with this and the possible abuse?  

Yeah, cause it's the fact that it's illegal to go into the female bathroom that stops the molesters from entering.  That's the too far.  Oh, it's illegal for a man to enter a woman's bathroom?  Well, I was totally going to go in and molest some little girl, but I guess not now.  No.  No one ever thought that was going to happen.  The american right just likes discriminating against minorities.

Archived