The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Etem Representing Canucks @ Pride Sunday

The Bookie

2 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

That looks rad, they should keep that year round. 

its permanent the original idea was to paint a cross walk ,but dept ,of motor vehicles stepped in and said no , so the bridge was done.

4 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I've got a couple question. Do gay people have more rights than heterosexual people?  Why do they need a parade ?

Am I allowed to be proud that I am heterosexual?  If I am proud to be heterosexual does that mean I'm a bigot?

Will we have to have separate dressing rooms in 20 years? That's the trend in schools isn't it?

Thanks 

I, for one, don't go to Pride parades but there is a reason why they exist. It's a version of Independence Day for LGBT people. For so long, they've faced decrimination, ridicule and physical abuse - even murder by the non-LGBT people and unfortunately, aggressive in-your-face gay people have created the negative stereotypes.

Being attracted to the same gender does NOT determine a person's character, morals and values. If a person you know is LGBT, have respect for that person as long as that person has respect for you.

We Are The World. 

4 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I've got a couple question. Do gay people have more rights than heterosexual people?  Why do they need a parade ?

Am I allowed to be proud that I am heterosexual?  If I am proud to be heterosexual does that mean I'm a bigot?

Will we have to have separate dressing rooms in 20 years? That's the trend in schools isn't it?

Thanks 

Here's the thing: If a gay or woman or something else came up to you and exluded you because they were heterophonic, how would you feel? if we didn't have such movements, the gays, the blacks, the women, etc, would not have the rights they have today. It's not about one group having more rights than another, it's about having equal rights.

That's why these parades exist: because there are still people against equality. 

4 hours ago, gurn said:

1 No, they are equal, just like the rest of us in Canada

2 They don't need a parade, but they have one every year. Is that a problem for you?

3 yes you are allowed to be proud that you are heterosexual, but since you were born that way it is a bit silly to be proud of something you had no control over.

4 No it does not mean you are a bigot

5 No, in 20 years all the uptight, holier than thou people will have passed away leaving a Canada free of bigotry, and no one will give a crap about dressing rooms and who is in them.

6 Please enlighten me as to just where you get this stuff about schools and dressing rooms?

1. Yes we are equal I agree with you. That's my point.

2. My point is if we are all equal why a parade? This was pointed out to me by a gay person that if we are all equal and homosexuall is normal why are we having a parade. Embarrassing she said. 

3 you contradict here. 

5. Just because a person does not have a problem with gays doesn't mean they will be comfortable undressing in front of that person who is of the same sex as they are but could find them sexual attractive.  My daughter works with two gay guys. One keeps hitting on the other who does not like him that way. Pretty sure if they were on the same hockey team he would have a problem having to undress around him.

6. Was talking to the principal of the school here a couple months back. He was saying this is becoming a problem in the bigger cities (bigger schools)where the teens are becoming more comfortable with there sexuality. So there is aparantly tension when a gay guy is in the washroom with a heterosexual the heterosexual guys for example 

Seems to me that if you are a gay person and you feel that is normal then just act normal. No reason to have a parade as far as I'm Concerned. Im sure you are ready to jump all over me and you can go right ahead I don't care I have a couple gay friends and I love them

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Here's the thing: If a gay or woman or something else came up to you and exluded you because they were heterophonic, how would you feel? if we didn't have such movements, the gays, the blacks, the women, etc, would not have the rights they have today. It's not about one group having more rights than another, it's about having equal rights.

That's why these parades exist: because there are still people against equality. 

I don't get it. How does a parade make those who don't think gays are equal think they are equal. If a person doesn't think they are equal then having a parade won't change that. 

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I don't get it. How does a parade make those who don't think gays are equal think they are equal. If a person doesn't think they are equal then having a parade won't change that. 

It provides awareness in hopes that one day everyone respects one another no matter what they are.

19 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I, for one, don't go to Pride parades but there is a reason why they exist. It's a version of Independence Day for LGBT people. For so long, they've faced decrimination, ridicule and physical abuse - even murder by the non-LGBT people and unfortunately, aggressive in-your-face gay people have created the negative stereotypes.

Being attracted to the same gender does NOT determine a person's character, morals and values. If a person you know is LGBT, have respect for that person as long as that person has respect for you.

We Are The World. 

I was raised in a very religious home and wouldn't even share with you what I was taught about the topic at hand when growing up. But I have come a long way and my views have changed alot and i still have some things to figure out about the whole homosexuality thing which i don't fully understand.  

But I'll tell you this much. I believe in God, that he is love, he loves us all the same. So if we are to be people who want to live a life pleasing to God then we should love everyone regardless of sex orientation race religion etc. If there is any judging to be done let it be done by God. 

21 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

2. My point is if we are all equal why a parade? This was pointed out to me by a gay person that if we are all equal and homosexuall is normal why are we having a parade. Embarrassing she said. 

3 you contradict here. 

5. Just because a person does not have a problem with gays doesn't mean they will be comfortable undressing in front of that person who is of the same sex as they are but could find them sexual attractive.  My daughter works with two gay guys. One keeps hitting on the other who does not like him that way. Pretty sure if they were on the same hockey team he would have a problem having to undress around him.

6. Was talking to the principal of the school here a couple months back. He was saying this is becoming a problem in the bigger cities (bigger schools)where the teens are becoming more comfortable with there sexuality. So there is aparantly tension when a gay guy is in the washroom with a heterosexual the heterosexual guys for example 

Seems to me that if you are a gay person and you feel that is normal then just act normal. No reason to have a parade as far as I'm Concerned. Im sure you are ready to jump all over me and you can go right ahead I don't care I have a couple gay friends and I love them

2- We were not all equal just a few short years ago and gay folk decided to start having parades to point out the unequal treatment they received. As the years go past the Pride parade will either fade out or become just a celebration parade. It is already on it's way there as the police and other community groups have floats in that parade.

3 No contradiction at all I find gay people being proud of being gay just as silly as hetros being proud of being hetro. As metioned in point 2, I think that "pride" will just fade into people being people.

5 Newsflash, gay people already use changing rooms mostly full of straight people so I'm unsure of what your point is?

6 redundant copy of point 5

And I won't jump all over you, As a straight guy I have no interest in jumping guys, but if you want to be jumped just ask around I'm sure some guy would love to take you for a ride. In fact maybe ask your gay friends, unless they are actually a couple?

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

2- We were not all equal just a few short years ago and gay folk decided to start having parades to point out the unequal treatment they received. As the years go past the Pride parade will either fade out or become just a celebration parade. It is already on it's way there as the police and other community groups have floats in that parade.

3 No contradiction at all I find gay people being proud of being gay just as silly as hetros being proud of being hetro. As metioned in point 2, I think that "pride" will just fade into people being people.

5 Newsflash, gay people already use changing rooms mostly full of straight people so I'm unsure of what your point is?

And I won't jump all over you, As a straight guy I have no interest in jumping guys, but if you want to be jumped just ask around I'm sure some guy would love to take you for a ride. In fact maybe ask your gay friends, unless they are actually a couple?

Haha    funny 

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hi Bud, you speak like a teen who has not fulfilled his life yet. 

1. 20 years ago in Vancity, a man perceived as "gay" would be beaten for his "orientation"..... Have heterosexuals ever had to face such scrutiny? Nowadays its about transgender peeps, "gays" as you call them have long been accepted by a large portion of the Vancity population. There is a movie called "Milk", maybe you should watch it as a beginner's guide to understanding people different than you. 

2. Nearly every group holds a parade or some event in Vancity. Ask the Sikhs, Chinese, Italian, and yes LGBT community what they do once a year: Oh yea hold a parade. Maybe check your ego and accept the great diversity BC has to offer instead of offering snide comments like a spoiled teen whose mom has not let you out of the house yet. 

Don't forget to wear your sunglasses bud! And God Bless Canada, because you sure dont! LOL! 

56 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I was raised in a very religious home and wouldn't even share with you what I was taught about the topic at hand when growing up. But I have come a long way and my views have changed alot and i still have some things to figure out about the whole homosexuality thing which i don't fully understand.  

But I'll tell you this much. I believe in God, that he is love, he loves us all the same. So if we are to be people who want to live a life pleasing to God then we should love everyone regardless of sex orientation race religion etc. If there is any judging to be done let it be done by God. 

Let me ask you a question (or a few). Do you celebrate Canada Day? Do you celebrate Remembrance Day? Christmas? If so, why do you celebrate and how is it really any different than parades of different groups?

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

3 you contradict here. 

Just use the gender non binary change room and anounce to all what sex you identify with at the moment even if it's not the case.  Use whatever card you need to play in order to feel safe.

its the way of the world man.  I mean woman, er, womyn.  Oh &^@#. Whatever.

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think the Parade serves a few purposes...

1)  lets gay folks celebrate and feel positive about their lifestyle

2)  educates the general population that their are lots of gay people and we need to keep working on  treating all people with respect  / dignity  / fairness / no discrimation no matter sexual orientation....

3 )  Just  a great party.   Maybe some of you need to head down to robson in the evening and attend a few of the parties...  Awesome event.   I am totally supporting of Pride.   My household / spouse  / kids have all been raised to love PRIDE events...  Attended Van lots  of times.. This year got to attend Victoria Pride -  AWESOME>...

1 hour ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Hi Bud, you speak like a teen who has not fulfilled his life yet. 

1. 20 years ago in Vancity, a man perceived as "gay" would be beaten for his "orientation"..... Have heterosexuals ever had to face such scrutiny? Nowadays its about transgender peeps, "gays" as you call them have long been accepted by a large portion of the Vancity population. There is a movie called "Milk", maybe you should watch it as a beginner's guide to understanding people different than you. 

2. Nearly every group holds a parade or some event in Vancity. Ask the Sikhs, Chinese, Italian, and yes LGBT community what they do once a year: Oh yea hold a parade. Maybe check your ego and accept the great diversity BC has to offer instead of offering snide comments like a spoiled teen whose mom has not let you out of the house yet. 

Don't forget to wear your sunglasses bud! And God Bless Canada, because you sure dont! LOL! 

Do you often have posters asking just what you were trying to say? Do they point out that your replies are either strawmen, not what the poster said, or not so thinly veiled personal attacks?

If so do you just ignore replies and just keep reading whatever you want into the post your eyes scanned?

Or am I the first person to tell you this ?

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Let me ask you a question (or a few). Do you celebrate Canada Day? Do you celebrate Remembrance Day? Christmas? If so, why do you celebrate and how is it really any different than parades of different groups?

I celebrate Christmas although I don't coordinate a parade about it. 

Why do you ask? 

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

I celebrate Christmas although I don't coordinate a parade about it. 

Why do you ask? 

Well Christmas has parades and I think to say gays can't have parades would be similar to other people saying Christmas can't have parades either.

I'm just trying to put things into perspective. That's all. It's easy to judge another group while ignoring what groups you "belong to" do that may be the same. ;)

Just now, The Lock said:

Well Christmas has parades and I think to say gays can't have parades would be similar to other people saying Christmas can't have parades either.

I'm just trying to put things into perspective. That's all. It's easy to judge another group while ignoring what groups you "belong to" do that may be the same. ;)

Did I say gays can't have parades? 

I simply don't understand what gay has to do with having a parade. 

How about a bisexuals parade. Maybe bi ppl should start having parades?

What about transgender parades?

Meterosexuals. Maybe they should have a parade? 

Parades 365 days a year. Sounds like fun. 

Archived