The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Etem Representing Canucks @ Pride Sunday

The Bookie

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, I suppose Santa is based on Saint Nicholas (Nicholas of Myra) who is definitely representative of Christianity and venerated by many faiths.

And if we're going by what that poster said, I might even argue that Santa is more representative of Christianity than "tutus" and "assless chaps" are representative of the LGBTQ community.

Not that I have anything against either tutus or assless chaps. Especially on Pride Day (or even year round).

And while the original Saint Nicholas was neither jolly nor fat (based on the images we do have of him), Santa is probably as close to Saint Nicholas as some of the modern depictions of Jesus are to the "true" Christ (whether historical or theological).

Santa might even be a better representative of Christ's message than a blonde, blue eyed Jesus who "wrote the US Constitution" and "hates [insert whatever group] and "wants you to be rich" (according to the tv evangelists).

In case it's not clear, all the above is meant to be taken with a ;). Mostly just bored and started riffing without being really all that serious about any of it.

Just thought it funny reading that Santa doesn't represent Christianity. I suppose it's true in the strictest sense (that the modern Santa isn't a religious figure). But Santa was based on Saint Nicholas. And Santa does represent Christmas. And Christmas is pretty Christian (even if Fox News says it's becoming too secular and we need to "put the Christ back in Christmas" or risk losing "the war on Christmas").

Other than Christ, Santa is the most recognized figure associated with Christmas. And while the modern Santa is little more than an adman's creation, he's nonetheless tied to a Christian holiday (albeit one that's very secularized and commercialized today; and one that was initially created in order to supplant pagan winter traditions).

Sure you won't find images of Santa on any altars or anywhere inside the sanctuary of a church (unless it's a Christmas service and then all bets are off). But when he's on a parade float, most people who see him are thinking about Christmas (as in the Christian holiday), and not Coca-Cola (even though Coke's admen largely shaped the image of today's jolly old Saint Nick).

I'd better stop. While the urge to continue this riff is strong, I'm probably only entertaining myself at this point. 

Happy Pride Day everybody! :)

:blink:

On 30/07/2016 at 5:21 PM, erkayloomeh said:

Did I say gays can't have parades? 

I simply don't understand what gay has to do with having a parade. 

How about a bisexuals parade. Maybe bi ppl should start having parades?

What about transgender parades?

Meterosexuals. Maybe they should have a parade? 

Parades 365 days a year. Sounds like fun. 

Bisexuals are part of the LGTB community and are included in the pride parade.  They had entries for transgendeted people as well. It was aĺl encompassing. Pride ia about celebration and love and being yourself.  It's about equality and freedom and it's something fun that spreads awareness.  I fail to see why you are getting so upset about pride parades existing.  It's not necessary just about being gay it's about having the freedom and right to love whoever you were born to love.

2 minutes ago, AppleJack said:

Bisexuals are part of her LGTB community and are included in the pride parade.  Pride ia about celebration and love and being yourself.  It's about equality and freedom and it's something fun that spreads awareness.  I fail to see why you are getting so upset about pride parades existing.  It's not necessary just about being gay it's about having the freedom and right to love whoever you were born to Love! 

Im not as upset as you think I am.  

I look at it this way.  If you are gay and you believe that is just a sexual orientation like any other  heterosexual or otherwise then just be who you are. If i were gay i would in no participate in that. 

I wonder if becuse they were persecuted for so long thats just there way of rubbing there noses in it. 

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

:blink:

Santa is definately associated with christmas. Doesnt mean hes associated with christianity.

Neither is the easter bunny.

I have probably bèen in over a hundred churches in my life i have never seen santa brought into the christian faith in any way shape or form. He has absolitely nothing to do with the christian faith. Nothing. Zero.

45 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Im not as upset as you think I am.  

I look at it this way.  If you are gay and you believe that is just a sexual orientation like any other  heterosexual or otherwise then just be who you are. If i were gay i would in no participate in that. 

I wonder if becuse they were persecuted for so long thats just there way of RUBBING THERE NOSES IN IT .

You are missing the whole concept of pride altogether it's not about being vindictive it's a celebration of love and the freedom to be who you are. It's about being proud of yourself regardless of sexual orientation. It's about spreading awareness that not everyone in the world is able to safely make that choice. I highly doubt that If you were gay or bisexual or an ace or Transgender person you'd choose not to embrace and celebrate that freedom and fight to spread the message that people everywhere are still not free. Pride has nothing to do with being 'better' then heterosexuals but as a way to celebrate all sexualities.

Pride may not mean the same as it once did (due to the fact that LGBT have the same rights in Canada ) but it's still very relevant because homophopia still exists and people still have to fight to simply live in some parts of the world. A certain select group of heterosexuals demanding to have the same 'rights ' as LGBT people and be entitled to their own parades kind of shows why it's important that pride parades stiĺl happen.

To help you understand better I am going give you an actual account from my life. As a bisexual person I have had to deal with oppression that my straight friends and family have not. I basically was disowned from family members for 2 years till I started dating a guy and even then I have to deal with family who gladly tell me they are thankful I am no longer a lesbian .  The thing is that I was never a lesbian to begin with , I  was always and will always be attracted to both genders

Nor does falling in love with a guy suddenly make me straight I am just me and I love who I love. I  share this story of my life with you to further show why pride needs to still exist. When people would sacrifice relationships with their own family because of sexuality there is still something very wrong.  

I may never have a close bond with that side of my family again and I am OK with that because they made their choice and I am still going be me. Loving a man or a woman does not change me as a person nor should it determine how society treats me or others like me. 

Now as a canucks fan it means a lot to see an organization and team I love so much to stand up and fight for equal righta and support people within the LGBT community.  Our team recognizes that people are people and love is love and they are doing their part to fight for true equality and pushing past the fear and negativity and judgement.

I took a video of the canucks marching if anyone can tell me how to upload it I'd love to share it .:wub:

8 minutes ago, AppleJack said:

You are missing the whole concept of pride altogether it's not about being vindictive it's a celebration of love and the freedom to be who you are. It's about being proud of yourself regardless of sexual orientation. It's about spreading awareness that not everyone in the world is able to safely make that choice. I highly doubt that If you were gay or bisexual or an ace or Transgender person you'd choose not to embrace and celebrate that freedom and fight to spread the message that people everywhere are still not free. Pride has nothing to do with being 'better' then heterosexuals but as a way to celebrate all sexualities.

Pride may not mean the same as it once did (due to the fact that LGBT have the same rights in Canada ) but it's still very relevant because homophopia still exists and people still have to fight to simply live in some parts of the world. A certain select group of heterosexuals demanding to have the same 'rights ' as LGBT people and be entitled to their own parades kind of shows why it's important that pride parades stiĺl happen.

As a bisexual person I have had to deal with oppression that my straight friends and family have not. I basically was disowned from family members for 2 years till I started dating a guy and even then I have to deal with family who gladly tell me they are thankful I am no longer a lesbian when I was never one to begin with I was always and will always be attracted to borh genders I just fell in love with a guy. I share this story of my life with you to further show why pride needs to still exist. When people would sacrifice relationships with their own family because of sexuality there is still something very wrong.  

I may never have a close bond with that side of my family again and I am OK with that because they made their choice and I am still going be me. Loving a man or a woman does not change me as a person nor should it determine how society treats me or others like me. 

Now as a canucks fan it means a lot to see an organization and team I love so much to stand up and fight for equal righta and support people within the LGBT community.  Our team recognizes that people are people and love is love and they are doing their part to fight for true equality and pushing past the fear and negativity and judgement.

I took a video of the canucks marching if anyone can tell me how to upload it I'd love to share it .:wub:

Wow. Now there's an explanation

I have to say that I have a 20 year old daughter whom I love dearly and nothing could ever change that. I told her a while ago that if she gunned me down so she could steal cash from my Wallet ide love her as I died. She fought back the tears.

Anything you have gone through like what you said makes me sad.  It seems like the people that accuse some others of having a warped sense of love are often the ones who themselves who have a warped sense of love. 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Santa is definately associated with christmas. Doesnt mean hes associated with christianity.

Neither is the easter bunny.

I have probably bèen in over a hundred churches in my life i have never seen santa brought into the christian faith in any way shape or form. He has absolitely nothing to do with the christian faith. Nothing. Zero.

I think the same way.

sid's post just came across as up one side and down the other.

5 hours ago, AppleJack said:

Bisexuals are part of the LGTB community and are included in the pride parade.  They had entries for transgendeted people as well. It was aĺl encompassing. Pride ia about celebration and love and being yourself.  It's about equality and freedom and it's something fun that spreads awareness.  I fail to see why you are getting so upset about pride parades existing.  It's not necessary just about being gay it's about having the freedom and right to love whoever you were born to love.

Then why is it called a GAY PRIDE parade if it's about all that? Why not call it the freedom and equality parade then, and have it be about all minorities and kindness and awareness of others that are different than you? THAT could be a family event. Not just about sexuality and scantily clad men and woman gyrating on floats (I know that's not all it is, but don't try and tell me a lot of that isn't there). 

I know it started out about gays, but I think it could evolve into something more inclusive and family friendly, if they insist on calling it a family event. 

39 minutes ago, fabiogooseface said:

Then why is it called a GAY PRIDE parade if it's about all that? Why not call it the freedom and equality parade then, and have it be about all minorities and kindness and awareness of others that are different than you? THAT could be a family event. Not just about sexuality and scantily clad men and woman gyrating on floats (I know that's not all it is, but don't try and tell me a lot of that isn't there). 

I know it started out about gays, but I think it could evolve into something more inclusive and family friendly, if they insist on calling it a family event. 

I say the more parades the better.......   We have so much bad news in the everyday around Vancouver with unaffordable housing  / gang shootings.....   WE NEED more Parades / Celebrations  / Festivals 

Great to see the Vancouver Canucks players / organization out supporting Pride.... Awesome. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

I say the more parades the better.......   We have so much bad news in the everyday around Vancouver with unaffordable housing  / gang shootings.....   WE NEED more Parades / Celebrations  / Festivals 

Great to see the Vancouver Canucks players / organization out supporting Pride.... Awesome. 

Ha! Actually I think parades are one of the sillier things humans have come up with. You stand there for hours to watch some people walk down the street, or drive by on cheaply put together, slow moving platforms? Ooooook!  Whatever floats your boat..  or float in this case lol. 

3 hours ago, fabiogooseface said:

I only ever hear it called "Pride". I haven't heard it called gay pride by any LGBTQ people I know personally.

It's called "gay" pride, or at least marketed to the LGBTQ community, because that's the community who's freedom and equality are being promoted at that specific event. It doesn't need to be diluted to include other minority groups to be valid. That's like saying Chinese New Year celebrations need to include ALL new years (Julian, Gregorian, etc.).

There's a difference between promoting acceptance regarding sexuality ("Love is love") and promoting sex itself (not that there's anything wrong with sex). I can see why some of the more risqué costumes might make some parents uneasy, but not everyone at the parades are dressed in such a way. Plus, seeing that could be used as a teaching moment for kids (about acceptance, but also modesty, "there's a time and a place for everything" etc, and even body autonomy). If I had kids I would bring them to pride. 

It's funny you end your post with a statement about inclusivity considering the only reason Pride exists in the first place is due to the longstanding marginalization and exclusion LGBTQ people have historically been subjected to.

Pride parades are called just that because its the celebration of not being persecuted, arrested or MURDERED for being LGBTQ. For most of human history it has been illegal to be gay. In fact, the only prisoners NOT freed after the liberation of Europe in WWII were, you guessed it, gay people.

It's not just the celebration of gay culture and rights, it is a celebration of the fact that we as a human race have gotten to a point that we can celebrate it.

23 hours ago, fabiogooseface said:

Everyone I know just calls it pride, everyone who attends pride does so regardless of sexuality. I have straight, gay, ace, poly, Transgender friends and those of us who attend do so celebrating all of us not just the gaya friends.

Heterosexual people trying to warp pride into some kind of homephobic political statement is kind of getting tiring and rather annoying. Why not join in the fun and be happy and prideful in yourself and humanity itself! Why continue to spread hate and vileness?

Regarding your other point  it's not going to psychologically damage a child to see a boob (its usuaĺly boobs you see or has been the last few prides I went to) at pride. Honestly your acting like people are having sex in the middle of the street it's just a boob. There are worse things a child could be exposed to then a women walking around with no shirt or  bra on. Maybe if people stopped sexualizing every part of a women's body we wouldn't have this problem.  Honestly when we have a child I'd gladly bring that child to pride.  It teaches about diversity and acceptance of others which to me is more beneficial then being afraid of a little dancing and seeing some chick's Boobs. There is usually a lot of families there with young children and I don't see a problem with that at all.

I've never attended a Gay Pride parade (aka the pride parade), but that's what I thought it was too - a parade for the LGBT community to celebrate the freedom to be who they are. Maybe I'm ignorant on the parade topic. So, if this parade is for everyone, as some have said, there must be a float of straight women dancing for the straight guys (and vice versa?) I dunno, I've never been.

Anyway, from what I see on the news every year, it looks like everyone there has a lot of fun.

On 8/1/2016 at 2:56 PM, cabinessence said:

Is it? Have you ever lived in Asia?

LOOOOOL!!

In all seriousness, props to Etem. Takes serious balls (no pun intended), as a hockey player, to be a part of that kind of parade. 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 8:46 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Would it matter?

The entire reason behind the parade is that it doesn't and there's clearly still a need for it.

To share a story...I have a gay relative, my cousin's son (well, two actually...one just married his partner).  From an early age, I knew he was gay.  When he visited and I pulled the tickle trunk out for my kids to play, he always wanted the princess gear - tiara and all.  My ex used to say "don't let him wear that".  I didn't understand why or listen to him ... I allowed him to be who he was in my home.  He was about six years old at the time.  He knew who he was and what he wanted....why challenge it was my thinking.

He now lives in a time where he can embrace his inner self...his real, true self without shame.  It's who he was.  Who he always has been.  And he's a kind, fun, wonderful person.  So tutu or tiara....that's stuff on the outside.  Accessories.  What counts is who's on the inside.

This is for all those kids who will be confused when people tell them they can't or shouldn't.  If Etem wants to don a tutu, as long as he has a smile on his face who am I to care?  We should all be free to be who we are if we are not hurting anyone. 

I apologise if my comment offended. It wasn't meant as a slag to LGBT or anyone who supports the Pride parade. I was just thinking it would be humorous to see a quote unquote "..big tough hockey player.." wearing a tiny little tutu. It was more of a visual gag than emotional or lifestyle slight.

Archived