The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coyotes sign D Jakob Chychrun [3 year ELC]

Defenceman Jakob Chychrun has signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Arizona Coyotes, the team announced Saturday.

Chychrun was taken 16th overall in the 2016 NHL Draft after playing two seasons with the Sarnia Sting of the OHL.

“It’s an honour to sign with the Coyotes,” Chychrun said in a statement released by the team. “I’m the first to understand that there’s still a lot of work ahead of me, but this is an absolute dream come true to sign my first NHL contract.”

He had 11 goals and 38 assists in 62 games for the Sting last year.

The 18-year-old was once considered one of the top-five prospects of his draft class, but his stock fell over the year as questions arose over his potential upside.

The Coyotes acquired the pick used to select Chychrun from the Detroit Red Wings as part of the deal that sent Pavel Datsyuk's contract to Arizona.

“We are very pleased to sign Jakob to an entry-level contract,” said Coyotes general manager John Chayka. “Jakob is a highly-skilled player with an all-around game. He has a great work ethic and is very determined.

"We look forward to watching him continue to develop this season.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jakob-chychrun-signs-entry-level-deal-coyotes/

23 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

How many players have dropped in the draft, in past years, that have went on to prove the other GM's wrong..

off the top of my head, Filip Forsberg,

We took a chance on Shinkaruk, Schroeder and that didn't turn out. When DET is willing to pass on a player it says a lot.

lol at you think Detriot passed on Chychrun... 

Archived