The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL linesman Henderson required neck surgery after Wideman hit, friends fear his career may be over

Nashville Predators' players look over the bench at linesman Don Henderson after he was hit by Calgary Flames' Dennis Wideman during second period NHL hockey action in Calgary, Alberta, Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. (Jeff McIntosh/The Canadian Press via AP)

Report: NHL linesman Henderson required neck surgery, friends fear his career may be over

Don Henderson, the NHL linesman knocked to the ice by Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman, has undergone neck surgery to repair damage from the hit and there are fears his career may now be over, according to a report in the Boston Globe.

From Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe:

According to one of his friends in the officiating business, Henderson’s recent surgery was aimed at repairing two ruptured disks in his neck, the result of the hit. Felled in the second period, he dusted himself off and finished the game the night he was injured.

“I know a lot of people are saying stuff like, ‘Hey, Wideman’s not that type of guy . . . that’s not in his nature . . . he’s a good kid,’ ’’ said one of Henderson’s longtime pals in stripes. “And I say, ‘Yeah, so what?!’ That doesn’t make it any less egregious. He attacked him from behind, the puck was nowhere near the two of them, and now Henderson’s career may be finished. I don’t see much difference between what he did and Wayne Maki cracking his stick over Teddy Green’s head.’’

This is the latest development in a saga that has dominated headlines in the NHL since the incident occurred late in January.

Wideman apologized following the incident, saying the collision was ‘completely unintentional.’ The league later confirmed that Wideman had suffered a concussion from a hit just seconds before he checked Henderson to the ice near the bench.

He eventually received a 20-game suspension, but that was reduced to 10 games by a neutral arbitrator, although Wideman had already sat out 19 games when the decision was handed down following an appeal.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/07/30/report-nhl-linesman-henderson-required-neck-surgery-friends-fear-his-career-may-be-over/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

I could see a Moore/Bertuzzi type lawsuit coming out of this. Only difference is Henderson's earning potential was much less than Moore's.

This also reminds me of the Brian McGrattan/Andrew Alberts situation a few years ago. Alberts still has headaches and brain problems and probably will never get back to 100% in his life again. Concussion's suck, especially the above incident where the hit looked predatory more so accidental. I don't buy it that it was accidental but I may be wrong. Who knows.

I don't know Wideman yet I think he is a loser. I just don't buy that he claims his hit on Henderson was unintentional when everything about the video tells me different. I think Wideman has in one misguided moment embarrassed himself, his family, his team and the league. He will be forever remembered as the guy who flattened the official and refused to own up to his actions. To call him a loser is being kind.

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

Anybody saying a concussion isn't an excuse for this has never been hit in the head hard enough to understand what a concussion feels like.

"Your Honor, my client had a concussion at the time of the crime, thus he should be waived of all the responsibility from his actions and found not guilty."

1 minute ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

"Your Honor, my client had a concussion at the time of the crime, thus he should be waived of all the responsibility from his actions and found not guilty."

"Your Honor, the defendant may not have been in full control of his mental faculties having suffered a concussion just seconds before, but we should pretend this wasn't a factor and punish him to the fullest extent of the law."

10 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

You know, I wish you understood just how miserable a concussion is, but I'm honestly thankful because you obviously haven't experienced one.

tumblr_noeddpsbDE1si9kpgo1_500.gif

Wideman gets what? Nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Suspension shortened, career continues. While Henderson, who arguably put just as much work getting to where he is as Wideman, has his career ended because the guy had a hissy fit. I don't care if you claim that the concussion played a factor into it, Wideman is liable, and he refuses to take responsibility for it. How low.

Sorry to hear of this tragic news. What a terrible way to end a career. 

47 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What happened to Mason Raymond(Finals)? Could hardly see the check..funny, no cameras seemed to get a good angle. Behind the play, I assume they'd say.

Fr**kin trash-league. Won't forget

but everyone else forgot, what are you crying about?

Honestly, the Wideman hit didn't look like much at all to me and I'm surprised Henderson got a concussion from it. That being said, that's a terrible way to end his career.

It's a tough case because it's hard to say if Wideman fully meant it if he had his bell rung (anyone who watches fighting sports will atest to fighters who almost get knocked out or who get knocked out and come to... often do highly irrational things).

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Anybody saying a concussion isn't an excuse for this has never been hit in the head hard enough to understand what a concussion feels like.

sure he was concussed he doesn't know where he is, he's wobbling around, maybe didn't know the guy in front of him is a ref.. but he knows how to skate to his bench and he knows how to crosscheck the guy in front of him to get out of his way so he can get to the bench.. this isn't a case of he's concussed and accidentally ran into the referee.. or bracing himself from impact cause he saw the guy at the last moment.. he lifted his arm and gave a forward shove.. ie a crosscheck.. so you are telling me he has no idea he was cross checking someone? so if a player gets hit in the head he can swing his stick at the other guy's head in retaliation and just came he was concussed and he didn't know what he was doing? 

1 hour ago, Moonshinefe said:

Honestly, the Wideman hit didn't look like much at all to me and I'm surprised Henderson got a concussion from it.

Really? Maybe you haven't seen it in a while. It was brutal. 

Archived