The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Report] Sam Gagner, son of former Canuck Dave, close to signing in Columbus

The Blue Jackets are close to signing free agent center Sam Gagner to a one-year contract, sources told The Dispatch on Saturday. The deal could be finalized as soon as Monday.

Gagner, 26, had eight goals, eight assists and 25 penalty minutes in 53 games with Philadelphia last season. He also played nine games in the American Hockey League for the first time in his career.

The addition of Gagner helps strengthen a soft spot on the Blue Jackets’ roster since the trade of Ryan Johansen to the Nashville Predators in January. Gagner doesn’t replace Johansen, certainly. But he could allow Boone Jenner to move back to left wing, where coach John Tortorella prefers to play him.

Brandon Dubinsky will likely draw top-line duty if Jenner moves back to wing, and Gagner would battle Alexander Wennberg and William Karlsson for the right to center the second or third line. Gregory Campbell and Lukas Sedlak will also be in the mix for playing time.

- Portzline

Aaron Portzline Retweeted Nathan Viebranz

I wouldn't have written it if I didn't know it to be true. Probably happens Monday.

28 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

What is hilarious about it?

Because I watched the Flyers last season and he was terrible and got 16pts on a playoff team. He won't be scoring 40-45pts on a non-playoff team next season "perennially" as the post I was quoting seemed optimistic about. That's not even mentioning we have H Sedin, Sutter, Bo, Granlund and other prospects all ahead of him at centre...

1 hour ago, Moonshinefe said:

Because I watched the Flyers last season and he was terrible and got 16pts on a playoff team. He won't be scoring 40-45pts on a non-playoff team next season "perennially" as the post I was quoting seemed optimistic about. That's not even mentioning we have H Sedin, Sutter, Bo, Granlund and other prospects all ahead of him at centre...

Didn't he play mostly RW on the Flyers.

He took under 100 face-offs last season - can't have played C for the Flyers (35% fow%).

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

They really want centres in Columbus. Never really liked or disliked Gagner. Good luck to him. Another victim of Edmonton's grand development. 

with the right chemistry and luck , he could have been made more of a mark then he did .   He is not short on talent 

• b3. locked this topic

Archived