The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets sign F Sam Gagner [1 year x $650k]

b3.

Dirt cheap signing, big IF but if he doesn't fall into Tortorella's dog house this will be a steal of a deal if he can get 30-40pts for this price.

If we didn't have Rodin coming over I think we would have been inclined to sign Gagner, but we have a full roster as is and don't want to risk losing players via waivers like last fall

Good cheap 1yr signing, if he does play half decent they can flip him at the deadline for a pick or prospect if they are out of playoff contention

11 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Dirt cheap signing, big IF but if he doesn't fall into Tortorella's dog house this will be a steal of a deal if he can get 30-40pts for this price.

If we didn't have Rodin coming over I think we would have been inclined to sign Gagner, but we have a full roster as is and don't want to risk losing players via waivers like last fall

Good cheap 1yr signing, if he does play half decent they can flip him at the deadline for a pick or prospect if they are out of playoff contention

How do you know if he's dirt cheap when terms haven't been disclosed?

EDIT: $650k according to:

We need to keep the puck out of the net, just as badly as we need points. The Canucks have tried that option with Weber and 

Bartkowski last year. With offence from defensively challenged players. Cut the goals against, and the chances, hold the blue line on the attack and the offence will take care of itself. 

Good signing. He sucked last year, but Philly didn't seem like a great fit.

Averaged .57 PPG career. That works out to 47 points over 82 games. He is 26, so unless seriously injured should not be facing decline.

2014-2015: His 41 points lead all Coyotes forwards in scoring, 2 behind the team leader Ekman-Larsson. This was his worst season to date, and relatively still solid.

2012-2013: Lockout shortened season, 38 points in 48 games. 65 point pace over a full year, which is 1st line calibre point totals. 

Until this season, he put up at least .5 PPG every single year, while never hitting 50 points. He has always been a consistent, slightly overpaid 2nd line centre up until last season. 

Will he get back to 40 points next year? While I think he is fully capable, and would on 75% of the teams in the league. I don't know if CBJ is really a fit. 

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Bold prediction - he doesn't have a major impact and we won't regret not signing him.  

He just signed for close to league minimum. I don't know if you are being sarcastic but that's the opposite of a bold prediction.

3 hours ago, Stamkos said:

Yes!

Didnt want him. We need our cap space for Boho and the other RFA's

What cap space? It's a 1 year deal at 650k man... 

Regardless, not too high on him anyways. Rather Pirri or better yet vermette 

Archived