The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Antoine Vermette bought out

Toews

He has already been bought out and is a free agent.  From the Arizona website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, August 1, 2016

GLENDALE, ARIZONA - Arizona Coyotes General Manager John Chayka announced today that the Coyotes have bought out the final year of center Antoine Vermette’s contract. Following the buyout, Vermette is now an unrestricted free agent and can sign with any NHL team.

"In order to give our team more flexibility, we needed to make this difficult decision,” said Chayka. “This move will provide an opportunity for some of our young, talented players to step up. Antoine is a class act and we thank him for all he did on and off the ice for the Arizona Coyotes organization. We wish him the best in the future."

Vermette has recorded 211-260-471 and 546 penalty minutes (PIM) in 910 career NHL games.

1 minute ago, mll said:

He has already been bought out and is a free agent.  From the Arizona website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, August 1, 2016

GLENDALE, ARIZONA - Arizona Coyotes General Manager John Chayka announced today that the Coyotes have bought out the final year of center Antoine Vermette’s contract. Following the buyout, Vermette is now an unrestricted free agent and can sign with any NHL team.

"In order to give our team more flexibility, we needed to make this difficult decision,” said Chayka. “This move will provide an opportunity for some of our young, talented players to step up. Antoine is a class act and we thank him for all he did on and off the ice for the Arizona Coyotes organization. We wish him the best in the future."

Vermette has recorded 211-260-471 and 546 penalty minutes (PIM) in 910 career NHL games.

Is he a better player at this point than Burrows?   I love what Burr did for us, but I also like reading the Arizona GM talking about opening up roster spots for young guys.  

19 minutes ago, apollo said:

This really doesn't make sense though... Couldn't Arizona retain 1 mill and just trade him? Bizarre. 

Anyways JB WAKE up man. Get this guy. We need to win some damn faceoffs 

Because of his NmC he automatically passes through waivers and is officially bought out

he is a UFA 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is he a better player at this point than Burrows?   I love what Burr did for us, but I also like reading the Arizona GM talking about opening up roster spots for young guys.  

Yeah, he is.  You are right about another older vet taking up a roster spot that a younger player needs, though.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, he is.  You are right about another older vet taking up a roster spot that a younger player needs, though.

So if Arizona is creating roster spots in this way, why don't we?  Vermet will get signed by another team for sure, but would Burr?  Maybe?

I like Yahoo Sport's take on it... :lol:

Why not trade him? Well, when have you ever known the Coyotes to turn down the chance to add dead cap space? Add Vermette’s salary to the pile where you find Pavel Datsyuk, Chris Pronger and Mike Ribeiro’s cap space, giving the Coyotes a $15 million step ladder to the cap floor this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/antoine-vermette-on-waivers-ready-for-buyout-in-weird-move-163905885.html

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So if Arizona is creating roster spots in this way, why don't we?  Vermet will get signed by another team for sure, but would Burr?  Maybe?

Yeah, I was thinking that too.  I just can't see Vermette signing for less that 2 years, which ain't good for the Nucks.  I don't know about Bur moving.  I can't see him being picked up unless the Canucks hold back salary.  Maybe at TDL.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because it's losing assets for nothing

strange move from a non contender 

could have easily gotten something for him at some point during season 

Not surprised he elected to bypass waivers and go straight to free agency.

He'll wind up better off.

Probably rules out Vancouver though as he'll likely be able to command more than a year of term.

You have to think that this pretty much rules out Phoenix taking Vrbata back, although they've certainly become one of the league-leaders in bizarre moves.  'Analyticz' teams are ironically making some/most of the biggest head-scratcher moves of the summer.

You also have to wonder how a guy like Goligoski feels about a move like this just after committing to that team for 5 yrs - until he's 35 ironically - at 5.475 million....

Vermette is still a solid player, he's just not the right player for the Canucks. I feel like Winnipeg, New York Islanders, Nashville, Toronto, or Anaheim could all be landing spots for him. He's still an effective player -- especially in his own zone -- so I'm sure he'll be signed by the end of the week.

All I can say is that this is one helluva head scratching move. John Chayka is really showing that he truly is the youngest GM in the league. Smarter call would've been to try and trade him later in the season or hope for a waiver claim. I know the Coyotes are going younger... but they need some veteran presence and it's a shame for the Yotes.... since Vermette loved playing in Arizona (especially evident by the fact that he immediately returned to Arizona after winning a cup in Chicago).

Head  scratching is all I can say.

He could play LW for the Canucks and take faceoffs on the PK and in crucial moments, not to mention when injuries occur.. 

He used to play LW on a line with Dorsett, so maybe there's something there. Could be a killer 4th line. Vermette - Granlund - Dorsett. 

Vermette scored a career-high 27 goals and 65 points for the Blue Jackets in 2009-2010, but he's been reduced to more of a checking role this season, lately playing the wing with Samuel Pahlsson and Derek Dorsett (www.leftwinglock.com). It's that kind of versatility that should make Vermette a good fit in Phoenix.

I wonder if there's more to this story though. 

He had to waive his NMC to be put on waivers in the first place.  I'm not sure that he's automatically an unrestricted free agent in that case.  Unless age has something to do with it, I would assume that he's ripe for the picking for any team that wants him.

This is definitely an odd move.

Just what the Canucks need. Wins face offs at an average of 56%, and chips in at ~0.5 pts/game.  Even though all of our positions are crowded right now, including the forwards, this would be a solid addition to the team. 

I'm a big believer that having multiple players on the same line whom are adept at face offs will only benefit us on the possession front. Imagine if every player we send into the dot gives  us an equal chance to win the draw. After watching last year we could use all the faceoff help that we can get, even with Sutter in the line up. 

Fingers crossed that he gets signed instead of that douchebag Kane.

Archived