The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Antoine Vermette bought out

Toews

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Vermette is still a solid player, he's just not the right player for the Canucks. I feel like Winnipeg, New York Islanders, Nashville, Toronto, or Anaheim could all be landing spots for him. He's still an effective player -- especially in his own zone -- so I'm sure he'll be signed by the end of the week.

All I can say is that this is one helluva head scratching move. John Chayka is really showing that he truly is the youngest GM in the league. Smarter call would've been to try and trade him later in the season or hope for a waiver claim. I know the Coyotes are going younger... but they need some veteran presence and it's a shame for the Yotes.... since Vermette loved playing in Arizona (especially evident by the fact that he immediately returned to Arizona after winning a cup in Chicago).

Head  scratching is all I can say.

I think that part was misleading in reports.  He apparently didn't really hit waivers - opted to simply go straight to a buyout (which makes sense from Vermette's perspective).

But still, I agree - this is odd, and imo they're awfully young at center beyond Hanzal and Richardson - apparently they're going with kids in 2 of their 4 center roles. 

I don't have much respect for the Yotes recent moves tbh.  I think they got absolutely fleeced on the draft floor, taking Datsyuk's contract for peanuts when Detroit was between a rock and a hard place and had no leverage.  Horrible move - and imo this is another borderline indefensible decision.

They rented Vermette for a 1st at the deadline two seasons ago - he hasn't really declined - you'd think if they had some patience they'd have been able to move that contract for nothing and possibly gain an asset, particularly at the deadline, but they seem to be more interested in banking hollow cap and giving roles to young players that may or may not earn them.

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

He had to waive his NMC to be put on waivers in the first place.  I'm not sure that he's automatically an unrestricted free agent in that case.  Unless age has something to do with it, I would assume that he's ripe for the picking for any team that wants him.

This is definitely an odd move.

Yep. Pretty sure this is right as well.

"Unconditional Waivers" means the process by which the rights to a Player are offered to all other Clubs, without a right of recall at a Waiver price of one hundred and twenty-five dollars ($125) prior to a Club exercising its right to terminate a Player's SPC pursuant to Article 13 of this Agreement and Paragraph 13(a) of the SPC.

Just now, oldnews said:

I think that part was misleading in reports.  He apparently didn't really hit waivers - opted to simply go straight to a buyout (which makes sense from Vermette's perspective).

But still, I agree - this is odd, and imo they're awfully young at center beyond Hanzal and Richardson - apparently they're going with kids in 2 of their 4 center roles. 

I don't have much respect for the Yotes recent moves tbh.  I think they got absolutely fleeced on the draft floor, taking Datsyuk's contract for peanuts when Detroit was between a rock and a hard place and had no leverage.  Horrible move - and imo this is another borderline indefensible decision.

They rented Vermette for a 1st at the deadline two seasons ago - he hasn't really declined - you'd think if they had some patience they'd have been able to move that contract for nothing and possibly gain an asset, particularly at the deadline, but they seem to be more interested in banking hollow cap and giving roles to young players that may or may not earn them.

Where are you reading this? Every source I've read says waivers. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

He has already been bought out and is a free agent.  From the Arizona website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, August 1, 2016

GLENDALE, ARIZONA - Arizona Coyotes General Manager John Chayka announced today that the Coyotes have bought out the final year of center Antoine Vermette’s contract. Following the buyout, Vermette is now an unrestricted free agent and can sign with any NHL team.

"In order to give our team more flexibility, we needed to make this difficult decision,” said Chayka. “This move will provide an opportunity for some of our young, talented players to step up. Antoine is a class act and we thank him for all he did on and off the ice for the Arizona Coyotes organization. We wish him the best in the future."

Vermette has recorded 211-260-471 and 546 penalty minutes (PIM) in 910 career NHL games.

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Where are you reading this? Every source I've read says waivers. 

1 minute ago, HK Phooey said:

I hope your LOL becomes truer than life.  I'd love to see Vrbata sign anywhere just to confirm and verify that he nevers plays for the Canucks again.

Don't worry HK.  There's as much chance of Vrbata returning here as there is Weber imo.

Just now, oldnews said:

Don't worry HK.  There's as much chance of Vrbata returning here as there is Weber imo.

Thanks for the reassurance, oldnews...what does the underlying numbers say about Vermette?  Is he a guy that the Canucks should be taking a serious look at?

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Hmmm. I wonder who is making the mistake. But even after that, Sportsnet reports:

The Arizona Coyotes have placed Antoine Vermette

on waivers for purpose of buyout, the team announced Monday.

“In order to give our team more flexibility, we needed to make this difficult decision,” general manager John Chayka said in a press release. “This move will provide an opportunity for some of our young, talented players to step up. Antoine is a class act and we thank him for all he did on and off the ice for the Arizona Coyotes organization. We wish him the best in the future.”

4 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Yep. Pretty sure this is right as well.

"Unconditional Waivers" means the process by which the rights to a Player are offered to all other Clubs, without a right of recall at a Waiver price of one hundred and twenty-five dollars ($125) prior to a Club exercising its right to terminate a Player's SPC pursuant to Article 13 of this Agreement and Paragraph 13(a) of the SPC.

That's not how it works - with a player with a NMC - has the option of going straight to a buyout - or being placed on waivers if they choose (posted the reference earlier in this thread).

I thought it was odd he'd choose waivers - but it appears he did not, which makes perfect sense.

Why risk going to Toronto or Edmonton when he can take 2/3 of his salary, and go where he wants - and in the end only has to sign for 1.25 to make the full 3.75 million out of it.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's not how it works - with a player with a NMC - has the option of going straight to a buyout - or being placed on waivers if they choose (posted the reference earlier in this thread).

I thought it was odd he'd choose waivers - but it appears he did not, which makes perfect sense.

Why risk going to Toronto or Edmonton when he can take 2/3 of his salary, and go where he wants - and in the end only has to sign for 1.25 to make the full 3.75 million out of it.

oh okay interesting. thanks, never knew that. 

(c) A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict the Club's Buy-Out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24) hour period. If the player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed rejected.

The Canucks could use a 2LW for a year, no more than 2.  Is Vermette that guy?  Possibly but on closer examination, I don't think this is a fit.

Picking him up does the same thing to the Canucks that having him does to the Coyotes: takes a roster spot from a younger player.

At LW, that means that Gaunce gets bumped who has 1 year remaining until he has to clear waivers. 

Option A.  Does Vermette want to play left wing?  He would make a good 3C which is not what the Canucks are really after.  Would he even sign with the Canucks?

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Vermette Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Burrows Granlund Virtanen/Dorsett

Rodin

Gaunce

Things get pretty crowded. 

Option B.  The other option is putting him at 4C and trying Granlund at 2LW.  I think this is getting messy.

Fwiw, I really think that Virtanen is staying up because I don't see him falling on his face at camp.

Wonder if he'd return to Chicago for super cheap now that he has 2/3s of his money anyway from ARZ. 

“It’s a dream come true,” Vermette told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FMTuesday of winning the title. “When you’re a kid you’re dreaming about that day, and every year at that time of year you’re watching, you have some friends on some other teams and you see the emotion and how much it means for the guys, and suddenly the emotion comes up.

“It’s a very thrilling experience, it really is amazing.”

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

(c) A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict the Club's Buy-Out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24) hour period. If the player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed rejected.

Great find!  I wasn't sure, but this clears it up perfectly.  Thanks.

Wonder who Phoenix will wind up having gifted Vermette to?

Chayka did Detroit a massive favour getting rekt in the Datsyuk contract dump deal.

Now what contender winds up getting a cheap, asset-free Vermette?

Another endorsement for the race to be the worst?

Archived