The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music Mix Exchange [Send your mixes in!]

thejazz97

Wu-Tang - Tearz

Classic track with that beautiful old school beat, and wutang always kills it with their lyrics and energy.

8/10

The Guess Who - These Eyes

Makes me emotional, perfect song to sing while drunk. All around solid track

7/10

Jcole - Power Trip

Beat is kind of boring, lyrics are nothing special, chorus is whiny pop song. Not a fan.

3/10

Run the Jewels - Twin Hype Back 

Beat is wild, and the lyrics are solid but nothing crazy, although they go very well on this type of beat.

7/10

Drake - Fire and Desire

Beat is groovy, lyrics are fine for the type of song it is. Voice is so annoying so pop its gross

5/10

Fifth Harmony - Squeeze

Just an incredibly generic pop song, maybe slightly better then the average pop song actually. Regardless really plain

4/10 

Kid Cudi - Up Up and Away

Beat is nice, his voice doesnt go well on it, and lyrics are average, chorus is catchy

6/10

Kanye West - Devil in a new Dress

Back when Kanye was good, amazingly chill beat, lyrics nothing crazy but they go so well on the beat especially his voice

8/10

Joey Badass - On and On 

Beat is very 90s with that new school flavour. Joey is always a dope lyricist and has nice flow. Nothing puts this track over the top but its a very good song overall

8/10

The Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville

Not quite my cup of tea but i enjoyed it, good melody

7/10

Danny Brown - Float On

Beat is smooth as a baby's bottom, flow is sweet also. Lyrics are great deep and on point.

8/10 

i have no clue who itd be.... maybe Baer.?

24 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Aren't we supposed to wait 'til all the reviews are in before revealing who compiled what? 

Genuine question;  I've never done this before. 

Usually people take a guess as to who sent in the mix they reviewed.

I'll be giving an upvote to the people who guess correctly :ph34r:

Spoiler

Chance The Rapper - Good Ass Intro (feat. BJ The Chicago Kid, Lili K., Kiara Lanier)

Spoiler

Great song to just kick back to. B) Love the female vocals in the background. Really enjoyed this. Keeps his flow perfectly. 4/5

black lips - new direction

Spoiler

Not exactly what I'm into, but decent song. Didn't particularily care for the vocalist, but had a catchy rhythm to it. 2.5/5

Tame Impala - The Moment | Lyrics

Spoiler

Has a cool psychedelic vibe to it. Got a bit repetitive in the beginning, but still enjoyed it as the song went on. 3/5

The Black Keys - Just Got to Be

Spoiler

I've heard a few of their songs and I love the singer's voice. If I were to pick one Black Keys song it would be "Your Touch". But this one's good too.

MF DOOM - Potholderz feat. Count Bass D

Spoiler

Always down for mf doom. Actually listened to this song twice... 5/5

Young the Giant: Teachers

Spoiler

Again not really my thing, I mean not a bad song at all. Just wasn't into it. For a little bit I couldn't understand what the lyrics were... 3/5

The Killers - On Top

Spoiler

Ah, this brings me back to middle school... Interesting you would pick this one of all their songs. But I can see you are trying to pick less popular songs of the artists which is cool. 4/5

Run The Jewels - Lie, Cheat, Steal

Spoiler

Changing it up again lol... I can dig it. Turned up my headphones to truly appreciate this song. Hook was a bit of a let down. 3/5

The i.l.y's - Peace and quiet

Spoiler

lol... garage band... death grips?? 2/5

The Four Seasons - December, 1963

Spoiler

This mix is so random... I officially have no idea who's mix this is. I can't stand old songs... they just drag on... sorry... 1/5

going to "guess" spoder

Hey there. Not sure what this paste bin thing us, can`t do anything with it, but it does contain the song titles, so there`s that.

Anyway first up is Verktroid: neo cali. Thought someone had spike my root beer with psilocybin at first, then I sparked up a doob and decided to see where it took me. Weird explosions of sound all over the place. Toe was tapping by the end, which the crucial yardstick for me. An unexpected thumbs up!

Maitro: Indigo Plateau . Atmospheric discophonic trippyness. Toe tapping ever so slightly. Thumbs up but ready for change!

Under Two Palms : Generic instrumental disco. Toe remained rigidly stapled to floor. Thumbs down.

Home: Resonance: Nice synth sounds to kick off. Drum machine keeping time. don't move me that much. Toe was unmoved. Thumbs down.

Guest: Rebound Lover: Wave of Gino Vanelli like synth sound. Really vibrant, synth not wearing on me yet, lots of pet sounds here. Dynamic; toe doing it's own thing now, no stopping it. thumbs up.

Luxar : Eternal: Cricket noises. Really, cricket noises! Nice synth sounds but not quite enough to stir the toe. Thumbs Down.

Turboway: Purple Nights: Somebody spike my drink again. Rolled another number and went with it again. Kind of a bum trip though this time. (cut with strychnine maybe?). I'm glad I don't here this sound walking around day to day; it's a little schizo. Thumbs down for this one.

Final score :

Yay -- 3

Nay -- 4

The nays have it by a single vote. Good ball game though. Not a clue what I was listening too.

Johnny Horton - Lost Highway

Spoiler

Reminds me of Fallout New Vegas.
6/10

Patsy Cline - I Fall to Pieces

Spoiler

I think my mom listens to this.
4/10

Eddy Arnold - The Cattle Call

Spoiler

Yodeling? Oh my lord.
2/10

The Sons of the Pioneers - The Timber Trail

Spoiler

I'll be sure to bookmark this one in case I'm ever sleeping beside a campfire in the middle of nowhere with a canteen and a bedroll.
6/10

Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo

Spoiler

I could see myself jamming to this banger any day.
6.5/10

Elton Britt - Cowpoke

Spoiler

Another sad cowboy song with more yodeling. At the end he talks about falling in love with a horse? Not cool.
4/10

Buck Owens - Buckaroo

Spoiler

Unrelated to the song but the picture in the video looks like a loading screen from an early 2000's PC game. The actual song was just a nice instrumental.
6.5/10

Ramrods - Ghost Riders in the Sky

Spoiler

Spooky instrumental with samples of cows mooing and what I'm pretty sure is shoes squeaking on a basketball court. What?
3/10

Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By

Spoiler

Easily the best song on the mix, has more of a poppy vibe to it. Apparently this had some record-setting run on the country charts that was broken by Florida Georgia Line's "Cruise". Now that's a damn shame.
8/10

Bobby Bare - 500 Miles

Spoiler

This is not The Proclaimers unfortunately. Yes, this is another sad and slow cowboy song.
5/10

Red Sovine - Phantom 309

Spoiler

I always though skits were a hip hop thing but apparently they date back to the old west. I appreciate the Cars tribute in the video, though.
1/10

Del Reeves - The Girl on the Billboard

Spoiler

A song about a grown man who wants to bang a girl from a billboard ad. I feel I'd appreciate this more if I was old enough to have jerked off to Sears catalogues.
4/10

Hank Williams - Lovesick Blues

Spoiler

This one is especially heavy on the yodeling, or whatever that deliberate voice crack thing is called. In any case, nope.
2/10

Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John

Spoiler

A heroic tale about a mining accident. Jimmy Dean's flow is on point.
6/10

Lorne Greene - Ringo

Spoiler

This isn't really a song. It's just a story with someone singing "Ringo" in the background. Not as good as Ringo Starr.
4/10

Johnny Horton - When It's Springtime in Alaska (It's Forty Below)

Spoiler

No better way to cap off this sad cowboy mix than with a sad cowboy song. Yes, Alaska is cold.
3/10

Overall: 4/10

If you couldn't tell, I'm not big on Country/Western. This is the type of stuff that my grandpa listens to. I'm gonna guess Salmonberries, since he appears to post regularly in that "Trucker Narrations" thread.

2 hours ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

Johnny Horton - Lost Highway

Reveal hidden contents

Reminds me of Fallout New Vegas.
6/10

Patsy Cline - I Fall to Pieces

Reveal hidden contents

I think my mom listens to this.
4/10

Eddy Arnold - The Cattle Call

Reveal hidden contents

Yodeling? Oh my lord.
2/10

The Sons of the Pioneers - The Timber Trail

Reveal hidden contents

I'll be sure to bookmark this one in case I'm ever sleeping beside a campfire in the middle of nowhere with a canteen and a bedroll.
6/10

Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo

Reveal hidden contents

I could see myself jamming to this banger any day.
6.5/10

Elton Britt - Cowpoke

Reveal hidden contents

Another sad cowboy song with more yodeling. At the end he talks about falling in love with a horse? Not cool.
4/10

Buck Owens - Buckaroo

Reveal hidden contents

Unrelated to the song but the picture in the video looks like a loading screen from an early 2000's PC game. The actual song was just a nice instrumental.
6.5/10

Ramrods - Ghost Riders in the Sky

Reveal hidden contents

Spooky instrumental with samples of cows mooing and what I'm pretty sure is shoes squeaking on a basketball court. What?
3/10

Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By

Reveal hidden contents

Easily the best song on the mix, has more of a poppy vibe to it. Apparently this had some record-setting run on the country charts that was broken by Florida Georgia Line's "Cruise". Now that's a damn shame.
8/10

Bobby Bare - 500 Miles

Reveal hidden contents

This is not The Proclaimers unfortunately. Yes, this is another sad and slow cowboy song.
5/10

Red Sovine - Phantom 309

Reveal hidden contents

I always though skits were a hip hop thing but apparently they date back to the old west. I appreciate the Cars tribute in the video, though.
1/10

Del Reeves - The Girl on the Billboard

Reveal hidden contents

A song about a grown man who wants to bang a girl from a billboard ad. I feel I'd appreciate this more if I was old enough to have jerked off to Sears catalogues.
4/10

Hank Williams - Lovesick Blues

Reveal hidden contents

This one is especially heavy on the yodeling, or whatever that deliberate voice crack thing is called. In any case, nope.
2/10

Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John

Reveal hidden contents

A heroic tale about a mining accident. Jimmy Dean's flow is on point.
6/10

Lorne Greene - Ringo

Reveal hidden contents

This isn't really a song. It's just a story with someone singing "Ringo" in the background. Not as good as Ringo Starr.
4/10

Johnny Horton - When It's Springtime in Alaska (It's Forty Below)

Reveal hidden contents

No better way to cap off this sad cowboy mix than with a sad cowboy song. Yes, Alaska is cold.
3/10

Overall: 4/10

If you couldn't tell, I'm not big on Country/Western. This is the type of stuff that my grandpa listens to. I'm gonna guess Salmonberries, since he appears to post regularly in that "Trucker Narrations" thread.

Bingo, you nailed it brotha. I didn't expect you young fellas would like these c&w classics; I was also counting on not liking whatever was sent my way to review.. Consider this list a preemptive strike of sorts.

LunchMoney Lewis - Bills: 6/10

- Fun and upbeat

- Maybe a little too happy for me since I have ears that are appealed by music of the more melancholic type

- Overall, a decent song.

The Struts - Could Have Been Me: 7/10

- I liked it

- Again, more upbeat but I didn't feel it was overdone

- I guess my only criticism is that it felt too campy at times.

Violent Femmes - Foothills: 8/10

- My knowledge of this band was limited and all I really knew was that they mainly did punk.

- I liked this song, felt it was a really good indie folk track.

Childish Gambino - Heartbeat: 7/10

- I love Childish and I remember this song fondly from HS

- This one in particular was just kinda meh because of the actual music

- But his flow was really good, imo.

Blink 182 - Cynical : 6/10

- I think the guys at EA Sports NHL would love this one.

- Blink, for me, is a classic throwback band to when I was younger but I didn't really enjoy 'California' all too much.  Maybe the omission of Tom is a reason for this.

Sum 41 - Fake My Own Death: 4/10

- I don't wanna waste my time....reviewing this.

- But in seriousness, its too edgy and the music video is them with just a bunch of memes and snapchat filters, which screams trying to stay relevant in 2016.

- Not a slight on Sum 41 because 'All Killer, No Filler' is a decent opening album, imo.

Green Day - East Jesus Nowhere: 6/10

- Jesus of Suburbia?

- It was a decent track and I felt Tre did a good job with the drums.

Beck - E-Pro: 8/10

- Prior to 'Morning Phase' (which led me to listen to 'Sea Change', etc.) this track and "Loser" were probably the only ones I knew from him.

- I appreciate the lo-fi and garage aspects of this one and the music video is creative

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World: 9/10

- By far, one of my favourite live performances from any group, and for Nirvana, this is up there with "Plateau", "Oh Me", and "Lake of Fire" for this particular concert.  Ironically, all songs from the Meat Puppets.

- Peep the little error right when Kurt starts playing the outro solo.

- For a Bowie cover, its done well.

The Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant: 7/10

- Probably one of the first few bands that didn't care that they sounded British when singing, and would go on to inspire many others to sing similarly.

- I enjoyed this one and I've heard that 'Never Mind The Bollocks' is a really good album, so I'll probably check that one out soon.

54-40 - One Gun: 6/10

- If you took the Canadiana aspects of the Tragically Hip and threw the guitar work of Noel Gallagher into one song, this is what would be the end result.  I think.

- It was a decent track but just felt too repetitive at times.

----

I liked this mix.  Predominately, punk, alternative, and folk with the one CG song thrown in.

I'll say Caboose.

9 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

^^^

hear, not here. I'm gonna guess it was Falcon45ca's play list, but it's just that, a wild guess. I didn't know this music existed, never mind who likes it.

That would be me. You wanna bring your old guy stuff, I'll bring my "young fella" music. Granted, I'm glad to bring you to the 21st century for 30 brief minutes.

Blur - Beetlebum 8/10

I love this song, sweet riff and Coxon kills it. Not much more to say really

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Greenwich Mean Time 6/10

It took me multiple listens to decide if I liked this song, and ultimately I decided there was too much going on. The vocals are great but the instrumental is completely overwhelming.

Kevin Gates - 2 Phones 1/10

Couldn't finish it. Totally awful.

Ken Dodd - Love is Like a Violin 3/10

I guess it wasn't bad, I just don't really like this kind of music. Too slow for my taste. Sounds like the Trailer Park Boys theme.

Tom Waits - Wrong Side of the Road 4/10

Again, not a bad song I guess but man this just really isn't my style. It really dragged on too.

Schoolboy Q - That Part 7/10

I liked this more than I expected too, Kendrick definitely saved this track for me.

AlunaGeorge - You Know You Like It -  5/10

I didn't know Michelle Obama had a music career. Remix is way better, still found myself bobbing my head though.

Bon Iver - Holocene 6/10

Overall a decent way to end a mix, but songs over 5 minutes that aren't absolute classics can be brutal. Just dragged on.

This mix had me so hopeful after this first track, but definitely let me down as it went on. Just not my type of music I guess. Going to guess @falcon45ca

Blur - Beetlebum 8/10

It took me multiple listens to decide if I liked this song, and ultimately I decided there was too much going on. The vocals are great

but the instrumental is completely overwhelming.

I guess it wasn't bad, I just don't really like this kind of music. Too slow for my taste. Sounds like the Trailer Park Boys theme.

Again, not a bad song I guess but man this just really isn't my style. It really dragged on too.

I liked this more than I expected too, Kendrick definitely saved this track for me.

I didn't know Michelle Obama had a music career. Remix is way better, still found myself bobbing my head though.

Bon Iver - Holocene 6/10

Overall a decent way to end a mix, but songs over 5 minutes that aren't absolute classics can be brutal. Just dragged on.

This mix had me so hopeful after this first track, but definitely let me down as it went on. Just not my type of music I guess. Going to guess @falcon45ca

I'm sorry about no links, my spoilers got all messed up in my last post.

Kid Ink - Promises 1/10

....Auto-tuned vocals right off the bat, rhymes "that" with "that", "straight" with "straight" etc., double negatives in the lyrics...

The Dan Band makes an appearance at the end of the video though, so I guess there's a silver lining to every cloud.

213 - MLK 2/10

Snoop tells us his "game" is irresistible, but references how much money he has...yeah, yeah that's what it is, your "game". Fo sho. Chorus melody is a little catchy tho yo. Dave Chapelle cracking some jokes at the end...is it common for these songs to have something much better at the end, performed by different people than those on the actual song? At least there was dessert at the end of the meal.

Trinidad James - Just A Lil' Thick 4/10

Ironically, a song that calls women a bitch and a ho has probably the most positive body image lyrics in modern hip-hop. There's a 40% chance that I'll be whipping out "watch yo mouth" at some point today

5th Harmony - Tu Eres Lo Que Yo Quiero 4/10

Something in Spanish that I don't understand. Real question: why the hell do singers, who can actually sing, use auto tune?

Boyz II Men - I'll Make Love To You 5/10

I didn't like this group when this album came out...not a whole lot has changed, but so far this is the most talented group on this playlist.

JusReign - The Swag Song 5/10

I guess JusReign is the Sikh answer to Jon Lajoie, so points for trying. 

Calvin Harris & Disciples - How Deep Is Your Love 2/10

There's a lot of songs named "How Deep Is Your Love", but the Bee Gees were the original & best. There's over a million words in the english language, you'd think it wouldn't be hard to come up with something new. Given how few different words there are in this song, I'm gonna guess that Calvin isn't known as a lyricist.

2Pac - Lil Homies 7/10

B in the D, real rap that's real dope. Fo shiz, it's got a sick bass line that's (gasp) actually played by a real bass.

Ashanti - Happy 6/10

Again a real bass used, so brownie points on this one. Flute melody in the background is pretty catchy, it's a sleeper hook.

The Lonely Island - Finest Girl (Bin Laden Song) 8/10

This song has the most intelligent lyrics yet. Phat beat dawg.

Sage The Gemini - Red Nose 2/10

Auto tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune. Then he spits ryhmes & sounds like he got hit in the head by a baseball bat & is now trying to answer math questions.

Ariana Grande Orange Mocha Frappucino - Let Me Love You 2/10

I'll let her make love to me, as long as she doesn't sing another song. Awe, who mah kiddin', I still let ya.

Shabba Ranks - Ting-A-Ling 2/10

I don't think I understood a single word he said, and he's speaking english...or so I've been told.

Sorry if my review came across harsh, different strokes for different folks! ::D I'm a live & let live kinda guy, so I'm not gonna lose my shiz when you pumpin' these tracks & cruisin' down some hot asphalt. Imma roll up my car window tho. 

The presence of Harmonies a la' 5th & Ariana Starbucks makes me think Kaz, but seeing as his list has been reviewed I'll guess Thrust with Prust. The Canadian content makes me guess Jazz as a secondary possibility.

33 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Blur - Beetlebum 8/10

It took me multiple listens to decide if I liked this song, and ultimately I decided there was too much going on. The vocals are great

but the instrumental is completely overwhelming.

Bon Iver - Holocene 6/10

I'm sorry about no links, my spoilers got all messed up in my last post.

Nope, not mine!

Archived