The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music Mix Exchange [Send your mixes in!]

thejazz97

@Caboose you got mine, coincidently.

A few of those were filler tracks I included.  For instance, the Tom Waits song was one I overheard on some TV program a while back and the Kevin Gates one was something a buddy of mine kept playing (although I do find it hella catchy myself).  I decided to go with artists I knew of and not necessarily artists I listened to for this particular playlist.  Although in saying that, some of the older users here may think I'm crazy for not listening to Tom Waits or Ken Dodd on the regular.

Funny enough, Beck produced and contributed a lot of the instrumentals to the album from which I took that Charlotte Gainsbourg song from.

And I'm glad there's somebody else on this forum who appreciates the work of Graham Coxon.  His work with Blur, and some of his solo stuff has definitely made me appreciate him.  I find his sound to be a unique mix of contemporary rock but you can also hear some old-school British thrown in and it makes for some good music.

Cheers!

On August 7, 2016 at 11:31 PM, Zfetch said:

This mix is definitely not my cup of truffle butter, so don't take my review harshly.

“My Plague” –Slipknot (4 mins)

-Eh....Lyrics are different. This is hard and would probably go well with stimulants. Or nostalgia. Or it would never go well. One of the three.

6/10

“xix” -Slipknot (3 mins)
-Not much to say about this one. Same artist, I like it less than the last one.

5/10

“Green Valley” – Puscifer (4 mins)
-Dull imo. If I wanted to cry and than feel a little better I'd listen to NSync or revisit my ex's essay of a birthday card.

3/10

“Hell” –Disturbed (4 mins)
-I like this song more than I dislike it. For someone with no nostalgic ties to any artist or song in this playlist, this song is significantly better due to it being upbeat and more casual-friendly.

8/10

“505” –Arctic Monkeys (4 mins)

-This achieves what the first half of Green Valley should have been like, and is about par with the last song in terms of playability.

8/10

“First” –Cold War Kids (3 mins)
-Not on the level of the last two songs, and quite generic. Although there's not too much to dislike about it. Just needs to be more distinct. Like Camila Cabello distinct.

7/10

“Drones” –Muse (3 mins)

-I don't know what to feel.

Play this:

Report back to me on how you feel, tone it down a bit, and there's my review for this song.

4/10

“The Penalty” –Beirut (6 mins)

-Where in the world did you find this.
Guy can play guitar/ukelele or whatever phallus-like instrument he was playing, but aside from that, this is just bad.
I can't see myself into this even if I was into this genre.
I would use this song on repeat as punishment for my children.
This song could be the cause of a genocide.
Wow.

2/10

“Saint Joe on the School Bus” -Marcy Playground (3:15)

-It's on Emimusic's youtube channel so I guess it's got some history to it or something.
It's a decent song that I didn't enjoy a lot, but may consider giving a rewatch.
The best part of this song is the kid who defecates his pants at the sight of a dog.

6/10

“Home” –Radical Face

-This song was a step-away from being a mainstream hit.
Decent all around.
Piano is spot on.
Nothing too great or new though.

7/10

I'll guess Salmonberries

Fixed.

3 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I don't know what's on page two of this thread, and I never will. Waited 45 minutes for it to load; no dice.

Shame that, as I did take the time to play the game and I'll never know the results.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again!

Van Halen - Jump (4:02)

I would probably guess this was the most commercially successful Van Halen song or close to it. It's hard to judge a song that was so massively overplayed but it will say in your head. It is a high energy 80's anthem. I love David Lee Roth 7/10

Starship - We Built This City (4:57)

The 80's music category that this particular song falls into is one of my least favourite. It was the beginning of soulless music. The lyrics are empty and without meaning. Again, this annoying sucker will stay in your head. 2/10

Haddaway - What Is Love (4:01)

This song is so wrong. It's got no meaning, it is synthetic emptiness. Yet, it's hard to fight off its catchy urges. This song defines guilty pleasure. Again, another one that locks into your head. 9/10 

Tag Team - Whoomp There It Is (4:01)

Commercially driven artificial hypnotic nothingness. Whoop there it isn't 1/10

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (3:49)

In 20 years we will look back at Katy Perry the same way we look at the New Kids on the Block and say WTF how did this happen.  See tag team's review and paste it here. 1/10

Kardinal Offishal ft. Akon - Dangerous (4:12)

I made it to 0:19. I can't believe people buy this with their own money. I would find more pleasure in chewing an SOS pad. 1/10

Madeon - Zephyr (3:39)

Clean, straight lines, not catchy but not unbearably annoying. 4/10

Folly and the Hunter - Awake (4:54)

A soft, casual kinda driving song. It's got lots of layers lots of depth. 8/10

Coldplay - Midnight (5:07) 

I don't like Coldplay. I can appreciate their talent but cannot bear the sound of his vocals. I will unfairly give this a 3/10. 

Overall it was a collection of songs that stay in your head. They do so because they are catchy. 

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Van Halen - Jump (4:02)

I would probably guess this was the most commercially successful Van Halen song or close to it. It's hard to judge a song that was so massively overplayed but it will say in your head. It is a high energy 80's anthem. I love David Lee Roth 7/10

Starship - We Built This City (4:57)

The 80's music category that this particular song falls into is one of my least favourite. It was the beginning of soulless music. The lyrics are empty and without meaning. Again, this annoying sucker will stay in your head. 2/10

Haddaway - What Is Love (4:01)

This song is so wrong. It's got no meaning, it is synthetic emptiness. Yet, it's hard to fight off its catchy urges. This song defines guilty pleasure. Again, another one that locks into your head. 9/10 

Tag Team - Whoomp There It Is (4:01)

Commercially driven artificial hypnotic nothingness. Whoop there it isn't 1/10

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (3:49)

In 20 years we will look back at Katy Perry the same way we look at the New Kids on the Block and say WTF how did this happen.  See tag team's review and paste it here. 1/10

Kardinal Offishal ft. Akon - Dangerous (4:12)

I made it to 0:19. I can't believe people buy this with their own money. I would find more pleasure in chewing an SOS pad. 1/10

Madeon - Zephyr (3:39)

Clean, straight lines, not catchy but not unbearably annoying. 4/10

Folly and the Hunter - Awake (4:54)

A soft, casual kinda driving song. It's got lots of layers lots of depth. 8/10

Coldplay - Midnight (5:07) 

I don't like Coldplay. I can appreciate their talent but cannot bear the sound of his vocals. I will unfairly give this a 3/10. 

Overall it was a collection of songs that stay in your head. They do so because they are catchy. 

What do you think of 21 Pilots?  I like their sound, but especially their lyrics.  I think their poetry is some of the best I've heard since the sixties.  Plus, the drummer bounces up and down, while playing, like he's a muppet. 

On August 9, 2016 at 10:57 AM, falcon45ca said:

The presence of Harmonies a la' 5th & Ariana Starbucks makes me think Kaz, but seeing as his list has been reviewed I'll guess Thrust with Prust. The Canadian content makes me guess Jazz as a secondary possibility.

Nope, not me. I don't listen to rap/hip-hop. No idea who most of those artists are lol.

1. The Mars Volta – Cotopaxi - 6/10

I don’t know too much of the music by The Mars Volta, but the few songs I do know I’ve always enjoyed, particularly the singer’s unique, mildly feminine voice. This is a good radio-rock song, could see myself listening to it on the radio during a roadtrip. I wouldn’t shut it off.

2. Ween – Gabrielle - 7/10
I actually have known of this song for years! It’s always held a spot in my heart since my first name is actually Gabrielle :) With that said, I love the ska-like sound. It’s super catchy and easy to sing along to, which important to me with music.

3. Florence & The Machine - Kiss With A Fist - 4/10

This is the kind of bland, sing-songy type tune I’d expect to see in a TV commercial (maybe Target or Old Navy). It’s an ok song, but just too forgettable.

4. The Tragically Hip - Family Band - 5/10

I’m not familiar with this band at all, but the opening chords took me back to the ‘80’s. I feel like I’m in the Breakfast Club listening to this. It’s an upbeat sounding song, I like it. Wouldn’t turn it on, but wouldn’t turn it off.

5. Puscifer - Conditions of My Parole – 8/10

My bf is a big fan of this band so I hear this song a lot when we’re in the car. I like that this has a very strong rhythm. I can’t stop nodding along to it. I actually am seeing Puscifer in concert this October. This song only adds to the excitement.

6. Sly & The Family Stone - Everyday People – 9/10

This is a classic! Guarantee anyone who listens will recognize it, even if they (like me) didn’t recognize the artist/title. This is great oldie, reminds me of childhood.

7. Phish - Mexican Cousin – 2/10

This sounds like someone broke out the iPhone and recorded their friend’s struggling band playing at a party. And the friend/singer was drunk. I was half expecting the singer to start crying and blubbering into the mic. Not my fave.

8. Bachman Turner Overdrive - Rock Is My Life – 6/10

I had to do a double take because I thought this was Dire Straits when it first started playing. Another solid ‘80’s (?) track, but not my cup of tea.

9. Adele - Rumour Has It – 7/10

Adele is incredibly talented, though I don’t think this song does her voice justice. It’s a nice danceable tune. I could see myself dancing in my underwear, lip syncing this into my hairbrush (I do this with a lot of her songs, tbh).

10. Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into The Dark 7/10

I hold Plans (the album this song is on) in very high regard- it’s probably one of my favorite complete albums that I’ve ever listened to. This one isn’t my favorite song. It’s so soft and sad and slow.

11. Ella Fitzgerald - Makin' Whoopee – 8/10

Another one that takes me back to my childhood. My parents play this type of stuff; makes me feel nostalgic for a time I wasn’t even alive! Ella’s voice is smooth like butter. For a seemingly more conservative time, this is a pretty suggestive song. It’s subtly sexy though. I like it.

12. Gary Jules - Mad World - 8/10

This is another song I’d consider a classic. I love the solemn tone and sobering content. Easy to sing along to as well.

13. Jack White - High Ball Stepper - 7/10

Jack White back at it again with the blues inspiration. It’s an instrumental guitar track. This would make a great opener of a concert, or outro music for a radio station. I can dig it.

I'm gonna guess…@Alain Vigneault? Because yolo, that's why.

14 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

1. The Mars Volta – Cotopaxi - 6/10

I don’t know too much of the music by The Mars Volta, but the few songs I do know I’ve always enjoyed, particularly the singer’s unique, mildly feminine voice. This is a good radio-rock song, could see myself listening to it on the radio during a roadtrip. I wouldn’t shut it off.

2. Ween – Gabrielle - 7/10
I actually have known of this song for years! It’s always held a spot in my heart since my first name is actually Gabrielle :) With that said, I love the ska-like sound. It’s super catchy and easy to sing along to, which important to me with music.

3. Florence & The Machine - Kiss With A Fist - 4/10

This is the kind of bland, sing-songy type tune I’d expect to see in a TV commercial (maybe Target or Old Navy). It’s an ok song, but just too forgettable.

4. The Tragically Hip - Family Band - 5/10

I’m not familiar with this band at all, but the opening chords took me back to the ‘80’s. I feel like I’m in the Breakfast Club listening to this. It’s an upbeat sounding song, I like it. Wouldn’t turn it on, but wouldn’t turn it off.

5. Puscifer - Conditions of My Parole – 8/10

My bf is a big fan of this band so I hear this song a lot when we’re in the car. I like that this has a very strong rhythm. I can’t stop nodding along to it. I actually am seeing Puscifer in concert this October. This song only adds to the excitement.

6. Sly & The Family Stone - Everyday People – 9/10

This is a classic! Guarantee anyone who listens will recognize it, even if they (like me) didn’t recognize the artist/title. This is great oldie, reminds me of childhood.

7. Phish - Mexican Cousin – 2/10

This sounds like someone broke out the iPhone and recorded their friend’s struggling band playing at a party. And the friend/singer was drunk. I was half expecting the singer to start crying and blubbering into the mic. Not my fave.

8. Bachman Turner Overdrive - Rock Is My Life – 6/10

I had to do a double take because I thought this was Dire Straits when it first started playing. Another solid ‘80’s (?) track, but not my cup of tea.

9. Adele - Rumour Has It – 7/10

Adele is incredibly talented, though I don’t think this song does her voice justice. It’s a nice danceable tune. I could see myself dancing in my underwear, lip syncing this into my hairbrush (I do this with a lot of her songs, tbh).

10. Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into The Dark 7/10

I hold Plans (the album this song is on) in very high regard- it’s probably one of my favorite complete albums that I’ve ever listened to. This one isn’t my favorite song. It’s so soft and sad and slow.

11. Ella Fitzgerald - Makin' Whoopee – 8/10

Another one that takes me back to my childhood. My parents play this type of stuff; makes me feel nostalgic for a time I wasn’t even alive! Ella’s voice is smooth like butter. For a seemingly more conservative time, this is a pretty suggestive song. It’s subtly sexy though. I like it.

12. Gary Jules - Mad World - 8/10

This is another song I’d consider a classic. I love the solemn tone and sobering content. Easy to sing along to as well.

13. Jack White - High Ball Stepper - 7/10

Jack White back at it again with the blues inspiration. It’s an instrumental guitar track. This would make a great opener of a concert, or outro music for a radio station. I can dig it.

I'm gonna guess…@Alain Vigneault? Because yolo, that's why.

Mine, & thanks for the review!

Archived