The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Articles] Canucks Day on NHL.com

johnnyhockey

NHL.com's annual "30 in 30" state-of-the-team look at each of the 30 NHL franchises features the Vancouver Canucks today with the following articles:

Inside Look at Vancouver Canucks (Getting younger while remaining competitive primary focus of moves)

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-season-preview-2016-17/c-281267996

Reasons for optimism, questions facing Canucks (Addition of Loui Eriksson expected to help offense, power play)

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-reasons-questions-30-in-30/c-281267998?tid=281244176

Top prospects for Canucks (Forward Brock Boeser, goalie Thatcher Demko need more seasoning)

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-top-five-prospects/c-281267994?tid=281244176

Canucks fantasy outlook (Sedins should continue to thrive; defenseman Philip Larsen could make impact)

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-2016-17-fantasy-outlook/c-281268002?tid=281244176

Why don't you add this too  <_<

Ranking the 31 NHL general managers

Justin CuthbertAug 3 2016, 5:20 AM

Every day this week, theScore's hockey editors are evaluating NHL teams on a different level of management. This time, we're focusing on the GMs, ranking them based on salary cap and asset management, as well as draft history.

31. Vancouver Canucks

cropped_GettyImages-544145388.jpg?ts=146  

Jim Benning is either in executive prison, and carrying out another's agenda, or Vancouver's obvious lack of mindful direction is his enormously misguided modus operandi.

30. Columbus Blue Jackets

There may actually be no coming back from a David Clarkson acquisition.

29. Colorado Avalanche

With recent moves falling short of intrepid, the Avs' front office ranks poorly primarily on the basis of aligning itself with the haphazard tactics of Patrick Roy.

28. Minnesota Wild

The blank space between high-paid, depreciating veterans and a hindered draft core is Chuck Fletcher-made. He needs Bruce Boudreau to fix it.

27. Edmonton Oilers

Having been gifted Connor McDavid and Jesse Puljujarvi, Peter Chiarelli can only appropriately be evaluated, now one year into his tenure, on piecing together a blue line. It's been a failure thus far.

26. Montreal Canadiens

cropped_USPW_444018.jpg?ts=1448394889  

Marc Bergevin has signed numerous deals that carry incredible value for the Canadiens, but his allegiances and mismanagement of P.K. Subban stands to define his tenure.

25. New York Rangers

It's unfair to dump on Jeff Gorton, who inherited an empty cupboard after his predecessor Glen Sather's failed pursuit of a championship. There's an onerous task ahead.

24. Boston Bruins

Don Sweeney has shown signs of intuition, and his nine draft picks in the first and second rounds could turn out to be a coup, but he's simply not managing assets and resources in an effective enough manner. 

23. Ottawa Senators

It'll be tough for Pierre Dorion to make a distinctive stamp on the franchise, though it seems imperative he does so.

22. Carolina Hurricanes

Fans must be encouraged with Ron Francis' process so far. He's drafted quite well through two cycles, and made strategic, small-market tweaks to add high-level young talent to his mix.

21. Philadelphia Flyers

Ouch to the 31st ranking of our GM.  But this season is going to be a put up or shut up season that has to see improvement after all the bluster of trying to compete.  Hopefully our boys are putting in the work in the summer to come back from a disastrous season.  I see improvement in all areas....on paper, but will it be enough to get us out of the media doghouse?

1 minute ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

How can McPhee already be in the top 20 NHL GM's? He hasn't done anything. 

I thought theScore's farm system list was bad. Turns out, all their lists are bad. The one line of commentary on each GM doesn't compare them to each other so you have no idea why one is 22nd compared to 25th. 

13 minutes ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

I like how they just call JB a misguided stupid person, but don't explain why. Bunch of amateur writers. There's so many of these type of articles it's becoming normal on a daily basis to see this crap.

11 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How can McPhee already be in the top 20 NHL GM's? He hasn't done anything. 

I thought theScore's farm system list was bad. Turns out, all their lists are bad. The one line of commentary on each GM doesn't compare them to each other so you have no idea why one is 22nd compared to 25th. 

The Score sucks. ... 

Jesus Christ. Look at you guys..... EVERYONE SUCKS!!!! The Score, TSN, SN, CBC, NHL.com, The Province, ESPN, THN, Canucks Army, HF all suck. They are just jealous. Look at Toronto and Edmonton LOLzzz. We will make the playoffz, haterz be hate'N

Its like the goth weirdos in high school that sit in the corner by themselves and call everyone losers. 

So the Canucks needed to strengthen the D and bring in size on the back end and scoring up front. They did that and Benning gets ranked last?

All EDM had to do was bring in a top #1-2D. So, instead, they trade a former 1st overall (Hall) for a #5-6D, and sign a goon long-term. And yes, Lucic is a goon. They didn't bring him in to be their skilled guy.

Can't wait for the Canucks to surprise some doubters this season.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So the Canucks needed to strengthen the D and bring in size on the back end and scoring up front. They did that and Benning gets ranked last?

All EDM had to do was bring in a top #1-2D. So, instead, they trade a former 1st overall (Hall) for a #5-6D, and sign a goon long-term. And yes, Lucic is a goon. They didn't bring him in to be their skilled guy.

Can't wait for the Canucks to surprise some doubters this season.

The list is terrible but take off the homer glasses. Larson is at worst a #3. 

2 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

The list is terrible but take off the homer glasses. Larson is at worst a #3. 

Okay, maybe, but the Oilers still don't have a real #1-2D. That's all Chia had to do with all of those assets they have, and he couldn't.

1 hour ago, johnnyhockey said:

NHL.com's annual "30 in 30" state-of-the-team look at each of the 30 NHL franchises features the Vancouver Canucks today with the following articles:

Inside Look at Vancouver Canucks (Getting younger while remaining competitive primary focus of moves)

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-season-preview-2016-17/c-281267996

Reasons for optimism, questions facing Canucks (Addition of Loui Eriksson expected to help offense, power play)

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-reasons-questions-30-in-30/c-281267998?tid=281244176

Top prospects for Canucks (Forward Brock Boeser, goalie Thatcher Demko need more seasoning)

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-top-five-prospects/c-281267994?tid=281244176

Canucks fantasy outlook (Sedins should continue to thrive; defenseman Philip Larsen could make impact)

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-2016-17-fantasy-outlook/c-281268002?tid=281244176

The NHL.com analysis is pretty good and fair assessment of the Canucks. Thanks for sharing.

19 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Jesus Christ. Look at you guys..... EVERYONE SUCKS!!!! The Score, TSN, SN, CBC, NHL.com, The Province, ESPN, THN, Canucks Army, HF all suck. They are just jealous. Look at Toronto and Edmonton LOLzzz. We will make the playoffz, haterz be hate'N

Its like the goth weirdos in high school that sit in the corner by themselves and call everyone losers. 

It appears to me that most of these negative assessments are based on the fact that Benning and company are not going into full tank.   The  singing Louie E. seems to have made some extra sour.  We have Horvat, Virtanen, Beartchi, Etem, Grandlund, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Hutton, all roster regulars, all under 25.  Why not try and surround them with solid NHL pros and allow them to grown into their roles?  Naaaa... Toronto and Edmonton have it all figured out.

Not criticizing you or your post.  We Canucks fans are sort of goth, I guess.  I wanna cut myself when Edler bounces a puck off someone's friggin shin for a breakaway.

4 minutes ago, Screw said:

It appears to me that most of these negative assessments are based on the fact that Benning and company are not going into full tank.   The  singing Louie E. seems to have made some extra sour.  We have Horvat, Virtanen, Beartchi, Etem, Grandlund, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Hutton, all roster regulars, all under 25.  Why not try and surround them with solid NHL pros and allow them to grown into their roles?  Naaaa... Toronto and Edmonton have it all figured out.

Not criticizing you or your post.  We Canucks fans are sort of goth, I guess.  I wanna cut myself when Edler bounces a puck off someone's friggin shin for a breakaway.

agreed   -  media thinks Canucks should be full tank...   

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

How in God's name does Bergevan beat out Benning? Or Chiarelli trading Hall for Larson. Noticed TOR isn't on this list. Let me guess, top 5? I guess I shouldn't be surprised they've ranked the Canucks last.

Ok, lets assume Benning is the worst GM in the history of the league and rightfully belongs at 31.  How the hell does the Arizona GM  John Chayka  get ranked 16th? Hes been there for like 10 weeks?  Thats a huge body of work he has behind him, enough to beat out half of the GMs in the league.

Just shows you how ridiculous these rankings are.

I get the feeling unless Benning magically manages to get rid of the Sedins, and wins top 3 picks for a couple years in a row, he and his team will be viewed as the bad news bears of hockey.

I thought the NHL.com assessment was pretty fair and well thought out.

The score article on the other hand was pretty much crap but oh well only one direction for Benning to go on that list.

Reminds me of a guy I use to work with. When management would tell him he had the worst numbers in the company. He would say "somebody has to be worst, I've got big shoulders I can take it". 

That being said I actually think Benning is at worse in the top half of GM's.

Archived