The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Articles] Canucks Day on NHL.com

johnnyhockey

Surprise - another Toronto troll doesn't 'understand' the direction Benning is taking.

Who cares.

Your own franchise is a joke.   I mean really - you spend high picks on another California RFA goaltender, sign Polak and Martin. wind up dumping Bernier for nothing, after adding countless more bad contracts during your 'rebuild' and are entirely banking on distant picks - and yet you put your management group in the top 20 lol.  

Easy to sell the distant futures - no test or credibility required.  But, but we got lotsa late pickzzz!! 

The extreme irony - you're judging Chiarelli on his ability to piece together a blueline.  Toronto...judging someone else's blueline lol.

Carry on with your blue koolaid stand.

You're fortunate to have a great coach, otherwise your franchise and it's management is an utter joke.

1 hour ago, Screw said:

It appears to me that most of these negative assessments are based on the fact that Benning and company are not going into full tank.   The  singing Louie E. seems to have made some extra sour.  We have Horvat, Virtanen, Beartchi, Etem, Grandlund, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Hutton, all roster regulars, all under 25.  Why not try and surround them with solid NHL pros and allow them to grown into their roles?  Naaaa... Toronto and Edmonton have it all figured out.

Not criticizing you or your post.  We Canucks fans are sort of goth, I guess.  I wanna cut myself when Edler bounces a puck off someone's friggin shin for a breakaway.

Hahaha this is exactly what I am talking about. It's not even most Canuck fans either it's just this little pocket on these forums. The rest of the people on earth who pay attention to hockey think that Benning is either a complete idiot or forced by ownership. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Jesus Christ. Look at you guys..... EVERYONE SUCKS!!!! The Score, TSN, SN, CBC, NHL.com, The Province, ESPN, THN, Canucks Army, HF all suck. They are just jealous. Look at Toronto and Edmonton LOLzzz. We will make the playoffz, haterz be hate'N

Its like the goth weirdos in high school that sit in the corner by themselves and call everyone losers. 

The Score, Sportsnet, and the Hockey News do suck though. They can barely conceal their clear Eastern bias, and have published more crap articles full of omissions of truth than a media outlet should. The quality of their writing is bargain basement.

Toronto has been given a free ride by a huge amount of these scribes lately, as have Edmonton, even though both teams have purposely tanked for more than one season, bringing down the integrity of an already questionable league.

Yet a team trying to remain competitive gets raked over the coals for doing so? Hmmmm......

28 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Hahaha this is exactly what I am talking about. It's not even most Canuck fans either it's just this little pocket on these forums. The rest of the people on earth who pay attention to hockey think that Benning is either a complete idiot or forced by ownership. 

Tank vs playing for  a possible 8th in our conference debate......   

Like the chicken or the egg debate...

10 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

JB is clearly forced by ownership to maintain a  team that can compete for 8-1oth

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Score, Sportsnet, and the Hockey News do suck though. They can barely conceal their clear Eastern bias, and have published more crap articles full of omissions of truth than a media outlet should. The quality of their writing is bargain basement.

Toronto has been given a free ride by a huge amount of these scribes lately, as have Edmonton, even though both teams have purposely tanked for more than one season, bringing down the integrity of an already questionable league.

Yet a team trying to remain competitive gets raked over the coals for doing so? Hmmmm......

When Burke was doing the same thing in Toronto (avoiding a rebuild) the media lost their collective minds.  I would almost say it was 10x more severe. At no point did anyone buy into Burke's rebuild on the fly stratigy. I would say the Toronto media showed no support for the leafs direction until the Shanahan took over and rightfully scorched the earth. 

The media also gave the Sutter flames rebuild delay heavy criticism. 

It's overly sensitive, selective hearing in Vancouver that gets us every time. We have not "rebuilt" and are not rebuilding. We are surrounding our franchise players (Sedin's) with a new supporting cast. Do the Sedin's have enough in the tank to re-open the window and hold it open long enough for our new and young supporting cast to hit full stride? The general consensus is no. 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

JB is clearly forced by ownership to maintain a  team that can compete for 8-1oth

I don't know what it is anymore. I don't know what his plan is, I don't know what our game is suppose to be, I'm lost. I thought we were going to be a hard hitting, fast, smash mouth team, yet we have none of that in our top 6. I thought we wanted to be a fast transition team, yet we trade for Eric Gudbranson and still have no real puck moving theme to our defence. 

Our team looks like a team that collapses in front of the net, relying on great goaltending, PK, and defencemen who clear the crease so our goalies can see the puck. AKA the 2011 Boston Bruins without size in the top 6 and skill through the the lineup. Mind you, I am one who would prefer a lower finish in the standings. Therefore I indirectly approve of what Benning is doing. 

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I don't know what it is anymore. I don't know what his plan is, I don't know what our game is suppose to be, I'm lost. I thought we were going to be a hard hitting, fast, smash mouth team, yet we have none of that in our top 6. I thought we wanted to be a fast transition team, yet we trade for Eric Gudbranson and still have no real puck moving theme to our defence. 

Our team looks like a team that collapses in front of the net, relying on great goaltending, PK, and defencemen who clear the crease so our goalies can see the puck. AKA the 2011 Boston Bruins without size in the top 6 and skill through the the lineup. Mind you, I am one who would prefer a lower finish in the standings. Therefore I indirectly approve of what Benning is doing. 

It's called drafting. Why do you think JB was hired in the first place?

The holes that Gillis left are being filled by stop gap players right now. That's really the only option this team has. The real work has to be completed with a long term vision.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It's called drafting. Why do you think JB was hired in the first place?

The holes that Gillis left are being filled by stop gap players right now. That's really the only option this team has. The real work has to be completed with a long term vision.

Ya I get that, but what exactly is the identity? "I want us to be big and fast" sounds really good, just don't see it. 

44 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

When Burke was doing the same thing in Toronto (avoiding a rebuild) the media lost their collective minds.  I would almost say it was 10x more severe. At no point did anyone buy into Burke's rebuild on the fly stratigy. I would say the Toronto media showed no support for the leafs direction until the Shanahan took over and rightfully scorched the earth. 

The media also gave the Sutter flames rebuild delay heavy criticism. 

It's overly sensitive, selective hearing in Vancouver that gets us every time. We have not "rebuilt" and are not rebuilding. We are surrounding our franchise players (Sedin's) with a new supporting cast. Do the Sedin's have enough in the tank to re-open the window and hold it open long enough for our new and young supporting cast to hit full stride? The general consensus is no. 

Im curious to know what you would do with the Sedins.    Its not like there is a huge market for 14 millions in contract for two 36 year old guys - and probably even less of a market for teams willing to take them individually. 

3 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Im curious to know what you would do with the Sedins.    Its not like there is a huge market for 14 millions in contract for two 36 year old guys - and probably even less of a market for teams willing to take them individually. 

For one thing i would split them up to  different lines for sure.

Try to get a more balanced offence on our club.

Also try to get more grit on line one.  It may actually work out that they can be better protected out on the ice by this approach as well.   Right now teams are just running these two. 

Put them back together on PP1.

Just now, Darius71 said:

Play out their contracts. Leave everything alone. If they want an extension great, if not, sorry guys. Stop trading away picks and prospects for players that get us from really, really bad to just really bad.

Just play and pick. 

Just now, LaBamba said:

Ya I get that, but what exactly is the identity? "I want us to be big and fast" sounds really good, just don't see it. 

It's been two years and he's already added Virtanen, Tryamkin, Sutter, Gudbranson, Pedan, and Etem to the roster. All big guys that can skate and play hard.

You're not going to change a teams identity over night. Especially when the Sedins are the identity and will continue to be the identity of this team until they retire.

The size and speed is being added through trading and drafting, it takes time though. People say we need to be patient and build through the draft, and then complain when they don't see results right away. You can't have it both ways.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It's been two years and he's already added Virtanen, Tryamkin, Sutter, Gudbranson, Pedan, and Etem to the roster. All big guys that can skate and play hard.

You're not going to change a teams identity over night. Especially when the Sedins are the identity and will continue to be the identity of this team until they retire.

The size and speed is being added through trading and drafting, it takes time though. People say we need to be patient and build through the draft, and then complain when they don't see results right away. You can't have it both ways.

I would like to see our club trying to collect  1-2   extra draft picks each year.... If JB's strength is the draft... then lets get him extra picks..

Rw: the Score

We were hated when we were the top team in the league with Luongo and the Sedins.  We were hated during the Naslund era. We were hated back in the Smyl era, and we are hated now. 

The only time I don't remember this team being the most disliked team in the league was during the Linden era.  Linden was just too damn likeable.  

Whether JB is right or wrong, one thing will remain constant, the Canucks, their players, the city, the ownership and management will be derided and dissed in our own media and throughout the NHL. 

Would like nothing better than to see JB plan work (he does have a plan) and for everyone to eat crow. 

EW

Archived