The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Articles] Canucks Day on NHL.com

johnnyhockey

28 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

Care to elaborate?  I can't ever remember Detroit rebuilding on the fly; they've just always been able to pick up gems in the draft (and later rounds).

I love this one. They just happen to have The greatest NHL defensemen  of all time play 20 highly productive seasons with almost no injuries. Great comparison. Go Benning. 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Ah, the Alf song.

broken_record-wide.jpg

no! my favourite album!

56 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I started posting in 2013 and now realize there are people on here who are actively hoping day by day that the Canucks always remain losers.

you should have been here in like 06-07 when the canucks couldn't score but still managed to win games XD or the cloutier era. mmmm. all we wanted was the team to score goals AND win games. we can never have both D:

50 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I started posting in 2013 and now realize there are people on here who are actively hoping day by day that the Canucks always remain losers.

You know, like themselves, so they can justify who they are. Totally get it. And from a certain perspective, it's okay.

Just like Edmonton N Torontoz LOLzzz 

#notankyou #onthefly #yolo #like4like #summer #follow4follow #tbt

10 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Jesus Christ. Look at you guys..... EVERYONE SUCKS!!!! The Score, TSN, SN, CBC, NHL.com, The Province, ESPN, THN, Canucks Army, HF all suck. They are just jealous. Look at Toronto and Edmonton LOLzzz. We will make the playoffz, haterz be hate'N

Its like the goth weirdos in high school that sit in the corner by themselves and call everyone losers. 

plagiarism

1 hour ago, dura_mater said:

Care to elaborate?  I can't ever remember Detroit rebuilding on the fly; they've just always been able to pick up gems in the draft (and later rounds).

Ahh the Detroit model.

Step 1.  Draft the best defenseman of all time.

Step 2.  There is no step 2.  You have the best defenseman of all time. 

12 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Jesus Christ. Look at you guys..... EVERYONE SUCKS!!!! The Score, TSN, SN, CBC, NHL.com, The Province, ESPN, THN, Canucks Army, HF all suck. They are just jealous. Look at Toronto and Edmonton LOLzzz. We will make the playoffz, haterz be hate'N

Its like the goth weirdos in high school that sit in the corner by themselves and call everyone losers. 

Apparently they all do suck. Benning has been very clear on the plan from the beginning - rebuild while remaining competitive. Get younger, bigger, and faster. This writer says, "obvious lack of mindful direction". Which means he's either stupid or has paid no attention at all and is completely ignorant to what Benning and Linden have been saying now for two years.

I love how everyone except the people on CDC think the Canucks is making one wrong decision after another. In my opinion we are heading towards mediocracy. But I really hope I'm dead wrong and Benning is doing this the right way.  

With that said, I don't  think Benning is the worst GM in the league. But if I were to list a few decisions that I think will turn out to be bad it's not very difficult. Just a few examples are Sbisa and Dorsett contracts, Shinkaruk trade and Forsling trades. So it's not difficult to find reasons why people are criticizing him.

Other than that, I think the NHL assesment on the Canucks are pretty fair. They mention the roster improvements we've made and hopefully it will put us a few steps closer to a play off spot the next year no doubt in that.   

40 minutes ago, supermanbieksa said:

I love how everyone except the people on CDC think the Canucks is making one wrong decision after another. In my opinion we are heading towards mediocracy. But I really hope I'm dead wrong and Benning is doing this the right way.  

With that said, I don't  think Benning is the worst GM in the league. But if I were to list a few decisions that I think will turn out to be bad it's not very difficult. Just a few examples are Sbisa and Dorsett contracts, Shinkaruk trade and Forsling trades. So it's not difficult to find reasons why people are criticizing him.

Other than that, I think the NHL assesment on the Canucks are pretty fair. They mention the roster improvements we've made and hopefully it will put us a few steps closer to a play off spot the next year no doubt in that.   

Mediocrity is not making the playoffs for 10 years.

3 hours ago, supermanbieksa said:

So is it a wrong decision to rebuild by getting  younger, bigger and faster while remaining competitive? Benning and Linden has been working on this and will continue to work on it with accordance to their plan. 

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

So is it a wrong decision to rebuild by getting  younger, bigger and faster while remaining competitive? Benning and Linden has been working on this and will continue to work on it with accordance to their plan. There's no question everyone outside of Vancouver hate the Canucks not matter what they do but like I said before, "everyone hates us but we don't care". 

It's nothing wrong with "re-building" while staying competetive. But does any of the examples I give you imply that I wouldn't like us to stay competetive? It's more that I find those trades/extentions monumentally bad. And I could argue that we'd be more competetive and younger without Sbisa, Dorsett and Granlund for example. And you could argue that we are more competetive and younger with them, just different opinions.  

And stop with the "everyone hates us crap". I'm so sick and tired of everyone playing martyr around here. Basically every team think that everyone hates them. The refs, the league executives, journalists, the puck and even the blue line hates us. It's pathetic.  

I can add that even in Swedish media, which isn't biased in the same way it may be in Canada. Even they think the canucks are on the wrong path. But I guess they are wrong as well. Just as everyone else who writes about hockey for a living (i don't mean that means that everyone in media is good at their job). 

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Mediocrity is not making the playoffs for 10 years.

Maybe that's what you call mediocre. For me it's stumbling in and out of the playoffs, falling down to picking top five to making the playoffs the next year. And that's what I see us doing in the future. 

Not making the playoffs for ten years is not mediocre, that would nothing less than bad. 

22 minutes ago, supermanbieksa said:

I can add that even in Swedish media, which isn't biased in the same way it may be in Canada. Even they think the canucks are on the wrong path. But I guess they are wrong as well. Just as everyone else who writes about hockey for a living (i don't mean that means that everyone in media is good at their job). 

The issue with the Toronto types is twofold - they're biased, and they're only paying attention to large brushstrokes.

They can understand a full rebuild or a contender - anything more subtle than that is too much nuance than they have the ability to comprehend (not that they're dumb, they just don't have an intense interest in understanding the Canucks as we do).

I would guess the Swedish media would fall into this same category.

Im not extremely against what the Canucks are trying to do...  well see how it pans out, but I do agree that the asset managment is confusing.

Hamhuis + McCann + 2nd >> Gudbranson

Now hopefully Gudbranson comes in and helps to even up the deal, and well have to watch from a distance to see how McCann plays out, though they could have had him and Baertschi share the middle 6 LW, or parlayed McCann into that elusive 2nd line LW with size...

This team seriously lacks offensive depth and there arent assets you can move without leaving a gaping hole.  We're getting stuck to having what we have and waiting on youth.  Reality is that there isnt an offensive center in the organization.  All bets are on Horvat getting better offensively and Henrik playing the #1C role into another contract...  Thats a big gamble imo.

56 minutes ago, supermanbieksa said:

It's nothing wrong with "re-building" while staying competetive. But does any of the examples I give you imply that I wouldn't like us to stay competetive? It's more that I find those trades/extentions monumentally bad. And I could argue that we'd be more competetive and younger without Sbisa, Dorsett and Granlund for example. And you could argue that we are more competetive and younger with them, just different opinions.  

And stop with the "everyone hates us crap". I'm so sick and tired of everyone playing martyr around here. Basically every team think that everyone hates them. The refs, the league executives, journalists, the puck and even the blue line hates us. It's pathetic.  

There is a great degree of parroting within the media world, especially since the demise of independent journalism and independent newspapers. Heck, Vancouver doesn't even have its own sports casters anymore with the way Sportsnet has changed. Every now and the Farhan Laji will get trotted out to say a 30 sec snippet about the Vancouver sports scene and then on to something else.  Other media picks up reports, cuts and pastes, adds a few words and then runs the new story. That is the modern echo chamber. 

Our local news guys have generally hate the Canucks as much as guys like Spector does. Botch and the a Cript Keeper?  Many people took sides during the ownership war between the Aqua's and Galgardi.  Burke among them. Dave Nonis's cousin sure didn't help much after he was fired. So what is left, Bro Jake and the Plageriser?  

The NHL com job was reasonable, and I liked it. Not a one paragraph hack job calling JB an idiot and then not offering any real reason why.  The Score did that, as many in the media out east accept it as fact without any deeper look. Plus Leafs, Oilers and Flames fans soak up stories about the Canucks sucking. So it does well, as those fans feel better about their clubs, because the Canucks suck. This does actually happen. 

Archived