The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking the Leagues 31 GMs - Is JB the Worst NHL GM?

Nonsense

I would say that the minimum time you need to assess a GM is 3 years.  If I was Prez I would probably wait 5 years before I started firing people.  

As most people understand we are where we are because of very poor drafting under Nonis and Gillis - we have next to zero 25-28 homegrown guys who are in their prime and would have kept us competitive.

7 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

this.

I must admit I like what Carolina is doing right now, Francis making some solid moves.

That's the first thing I noticed too. Francis has been doing very well with what he's had to work with.

Devils too. Rutherford finally hired a coach that fit the team, and gets all the credit, even though Shero did most of the building there. Now Shero is doing nice work in NJ - he just has a long way to go.

Tried looking at this as a non-homer and I totally get why all the analysts are ripping Benning apart. The moves JBs been making don't show a clear direction. Some of his moves suggest we're trying to make the playoffs asap (Shink for Granlund, not trading for any picks at the deadline, signing a great but aging player in Eriksson), while our performance and play was nearly dead last in the league. These moves aren't good enough to make us competitive but might make us good enough to keep us away from a position to draft elite prospects. The "retool on the fly" approach is a bit unusual so Benning is gonna get some criticism for it.

That said, I don't entirely disagree with JBs approach. The all out tanking approach has some teams stuck in an endless rebuild that I would hate to see happen to the Canucks. 

3 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

The comments in this article are neither,

They are simply the truth

I have never seen so much concentrated denial on this board at one time, or scapegoating

Because the truth is just a bunch of immature insults and don't provide any information or reasoning? Nice try.

No, definitely not. What a garbage article. Benning's not the best GM ever, but frack he's done an amazing job with what he's had to work with. People are very, very quick to forget the HUGE mess Gillis left him. No starting goalie, a disgruntled second line center, one prospect with any good potential, and an old, stale core. He's done a fantastic job cleaning up the mess so far. His contract skills might need work, but otherwise, he's been solid. His controversial trades are even paying off. 

If you want the worst GM's in the league, I'll give you three. Marc Bergevin. He was supposed to add the final pieces to the puzzle in Montreal. Instead, he's wrecking the Habs. Subban for Weber was an awful trade. Don Sweeny. Just look at his draft picks. Just... bad. Peter Chiarelli. Got HOSED in the Hall trade, still hasn't built the Oilers a proper blue line. Still holding onto Nuge and Yakupov. 

Also, while I'm ranting here, Rutherford being ranked 3rd is a complete joke. Guy's an awful GM. He won the cup yes, but he inherited a talented Penguins team that lacked depth. Add the depth, and there ya go. Kessel was a good move, I will admit, but Rutherford completely destroyed the Hurricanes. Seriously, Ron Francis should be rated a lot higher then he is for the job he's done in fixing Rutherford's gaffes. The Hurricanes could have been something amazing, but Rutherford just wrecked the team.

Not sure what criteria they based this list on. But I would give Benning at Top 15 spot.

People like to think about last season but let's not forget about the season prior. The 2013/2014 was in shambles and Benning did the right moves to get the team back to the playoffs with 101 pts. Sure the team did poorly last season but this is a combination of losing Bieksa, Lack, Richardson, and Matthias, injuries, and adding young guys in the roster.

I think in two seasons Benning has done ok. I don't like trading away 2nd round picks but aside from that I am fine with most of the moves he's made.

I love how people say Vancouver has no direction. 

Uh...JB has completely revamped our defence, drafted one of the best d-men in the draft. Has Boeser in the system, which looks like a steal at his draft location. Virtanen was playing last year. We traded a player from a position we have depth in to get a RHD that plays 20+ minutes a night. 

Trading Shinkaruk is the only trade I see that makes me scratch my head. JB tried to trade Hamhuis, it's not his fault he didn't want to just give him away to Dallas or Chicago, two teams in our conference.  Given that it's August and no one has signed Vrbata as a free agent, pretty much explains he had no value. 

Basically it's an example of one media guy says something, and all other journalists believe it. I could say Toronto has no direction other than youth. Besides last year everyone was roasting Rutherford. Who's laughing now? 

I'm not saying we're a contender. But we had one bad season, primarily due to injuries, in fact I think for the Canucks that's a 

positive thing as teams will under-estimate the club in the regular season. When your article puts a GM who hasn't made one trade, one draft pick ahead of Benning, you know there's something wrong. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I love how people say Vancouver has no direction. 

Uh...JB has completely revamped our defence, drafted one of the best d-men in the draft. Has Boeser in the system, which looks like a steal at his draft location. Virtanen was playing last year. We traded a player from a position we have depth in to get a RHD that plays 20+ minutes a night. 

Trading Shinkaruk is the only trade I see that makes me scratch my head. JB tried to trade Hamhuis, it's not his fault he didn't want to just give him away to Dallas or Chicago, two teams in our conference.  Given that it's August and no one has signed Vrbata as a free agent, pretty much explains he had no value. 

Basically it's an example of one media guy says something, and all other journalists believe it. I could say Toronto has no direction other than youth. Besides last year everyone was roasting Rutherford. Who's laughing now? 

I'm not saying we're a contender. But we had one bad season, primarily due to injuries, in fact I think for the Canucks that's a 

positive thing as teams will under-estimate the club in the regular season. When your article puts a GM who hasn't made one trade, one draft pick ahead of Benning, you know there's something wrong. 

Also to note at the beginning of the article it said part of the rankings had to do with drafting. How could he not be higher? 

In 2 drafts  (can't count this one)

Benning has drafted 3 nhl players already (virtanen mccann tryamkin). That number is soon to rise to 4 and 5 with Boeser and demko. It's too early to tell as of now but we may have the best drafting in the NHL.  Especially considering only 2 of those 4 to be nhlers came from the top 10.

Well lets see what happens this year on the ice for starters to see if some of his moves get the Canucks in the playoffs. My fear is 1-2 injuries to our skilled players will really tax the team as we have no real depth to cover that long term. Another fear is if we are just outside the race close to the deadline and Benning decides to package more youth in a trade and still doesn't make the playoffs. If you think the media is brutal now it will be a feeding frenzy with that kind of blood in the water. This could all change tho if the Canucks make the playoffs, it will take the heat off the org for awhile...maybe.

The one that makes me laugh the most is Marc Bergevin ranking higher than Jim. The guy trades their franchise defenseman for an aged, past his prime Weber, in what I think is going to be a contributing factor in ending Bergevin's tenure in Montreal and, some how this hack seems to think it can be down played.

I also love how he is trying to glorify the Maple Laughs. Even though they sold out their players so they can get the first pick (which doesn't take geneous to do, merely a lack of ethics and pride), I don't really see them being a whole lot better this year. Yes, they have a couple promising rookies but they, like Vancouver, have a lot of questions surrounding their line up that have yet to be addressed. We have, at least one player, who I believe, is going to be as good, if not better than, Matthews. 

Justin Cuthbert is a joke and someone who, clearly, didn't look very deeply at teams situations or their systems. His points are neither neutral nor well thought out. I'd be perfectly happy never seeing this guy's slop being brought up on this sight again.

I'm going to make a point of storing this article so that three to four years down the road when our, properly developed, prospects are in the league, turning us back into a winner, I can remind everyone of how stupid this guy is.

Benning is really showing his ability to make solid picks, no matter where we are in the draft order. He is changing the culture of our team and it's not going to be too long before we start seeing the results. Like I said in another thread; We should get used to being near the bottom of the draft order, as that's going to be home for a long time. With JB at the helm, I am very ok with that.

Problem is this guy is using one piece of evidence to judge everyone.  While I think JB is being handcuffed by ownership, despite the  obligation he has to FA about remaining competitive to keep the cash flow coming in, he's done a pretty good job, especially in drafting.  Sure the odd contract and trade he has done has been questionable, but at the time they didn't seem bad and could see why we did them.  Retrospectively everyone loses a few times.

I wouldn't put too much thought into this goof's article because I don't think his list is very accurate beyond what he said about JB

Archived