Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quebec Waiter Arrested After Seafood Puts Allergic Customer in Coma


DonLever

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jimayo said:

Personal responsibility he says, trying to absolve the waiter who DIDN'T DO HIS &^@#ING JOB PROPERLY,  But yeah, it's totally the guy who almost died due to the laziness of the server's fault.

Waiters screw up orders all the time, it can be because of many different reasons, serving the guy salmon makes him partially responsible but at the end of the day, it should be up to the consumer to make sure he/she gets what they ordered. If he looked at the dish a little more carefully, he could have told the waiter and the dish would have been changed. We can say that the waiter is partially at fault but to arrest him for this? Seems a little harsh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's not anyone's fault.  However, if the individual's food allergy is this deadly, cooking their own food might be the best course of action.  IMHAO, of course.  

The person can still go out.  Go with friends to a movie, and enjoy popcorn.  Go to dinner, in a well lighted restaurant, and have coffee and dessert.  Are there not a lot of younger people now with peanut (nut) allergies?  When allergies are so extreme, relying on others to keep you safe might not be wise.  

 

When you order popcorn are you expecting them to put peanuts in it?

 

This guy ordered beef tartare, not a salmon dish.  He did everything right by ordering a dish made with beef and expecting beef and he still told the waiter make sure there is no fish in my beef dish, and they did it anyway...

 

There's only one person to blame in this entire story and that's the waiter.    That is extreme negligence causing bodily harm and will likely shorten this guys life expectancy as his heart has been damaged with a heart attack.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, smokes said:

Waiters screw up orders all the time, it can be because of many different reasons, serving the guy salmon makes him partially responsible but at the end of the day, it should be up to the consumer to make sure he/she gets what they ordered. If he looked at the dish a little more carefully, he could have told the waiter and the dish would have been changed. We can say that the waiter is partially at fault but to arrest him for this? Seems a little harsh.

HE WAS TOO LAZY TO INFORM THE KITCHEN STAFF OF THE GUY'S ALLERGY LIKE HE WAS ASKED TOO.

 

The outcome would've been vastly different had he not been lazy and &^@#ing worthless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Totally inappropriate, a man's life was at steak.

 

This reminds me of a time I was at Quiznos.  A couple orders 2 subs, a meat sub for the man and a veggie sub for the lady.  The lady doesn't say a word about being a vegetarian.  She waits until the Quizno lady cuts her sandwich with the same knife she used on her boyfriend's sub and then spazzes out on the employee about not eating any trace of meat.  Everyone else in the restaurant, myself included, went verbally ballistic of this cow for berating the employee.  It had nothing to do with allergies mind you but this cow thought she could milk it for a free sub, man the look on her boyfriends face said it all, he was so embarrassed.  Don't get me started on peanut ban in schools..

I've heard that before....

Have a kid never experience elementary school.  Have a parent quit their job so they can home school their kid.  Just so another kid can experience bringing a peanut butter freaking sandwich to school.

 

Back to the article, not sure if the point was mentioned that the customer ordered beef tartar, not a steak.  You probably wouldn't notice the texture difference until you put it into your mouth.  But yeah, the customer forgetting the epipen in the car didn't help the situation as mentioned.  The waiter deserves anywhere from being severely reprimanded to being fired, not jail time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I ordered a tartar (and I wouldn't), I'd make damn sure it wasn't fish before eating. The waiter definitely didn't do his job well and it's very unfortunate for the patron, but if I had a deathly allergy with a certain type of food, and I went to a restaurant without bringing my Epipen, I would make extra sure I could tell what I'm eating before taking a bite.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I've heard that before....

Have a kid never experience elementary school.  Have a parent quit their job so they can home school their kid.  Just so another kid can experience bringing a peanut butter freaking sandwich to school.

 

Back to the article, not sure if the point was mentioned that the customer ordered beef tartar, not a steak.  You probably wouldn't notice the texture difference until you put it into your mouth.  But yeah, the customer forgetting the epipen in the car didn't help the situation as mentioned.  The waiter deserves anywhere from being severely reprimanded to being fired, not jail time.

I reckon like 80%+ of kids eat peanut butter sandwiches for lunch at some point so why should the majority be denied such a delicious lunch because literally one kid has an allergy to it?  There are a lot of food products that people are allergic too such as milk, how asinine would that be to ban yet it's not that far off.  It's beyond a slippery slope, maybe kids that have pets should be home schooled because they carry pet dander on their clothes.  Or maybe society as a whole should just 'nut up'.:ph34r:

 

Studies have shown that introducing infants to small amount of peanuts can actually eradicate the allergy altogether, either that or raise your kid in a bubble and stop being a burden to other people.

 

http://time.com/3719341/peanut-allergy-cure-treatment/

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Shouldn't be a criminal charge in my opinion.  A civil lawsuit, well fine, it was a mistake that caused a serious reaction. An arrest seems excessive.

giphy.gif

 

 

The s... That's what I ordered! Change my order to the soup!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The waiter is alleged to mess up, but maybe he told the kitchen and they didn't take the allergy into account?. I'd wait for trial and all the details to come out.

And if I was allergic, to the point of death, to a food; I would ensure that the kitchen and restaurant manager were aware of my allergy, rather than trusting a usually 18 to 26 year old kid that has ended up having to work in a restaurant at minimum wage. Wonder how many tables the waiter was having to cover.?

 

 Years ago I got bad directions from a kid working at a garage, half an hour later I still can't find the damn place, and I'm getting pretty annoyed with that gas jockey, till my buddy points out that people that have to work as gas jockey's are not the usually all that smart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jimayo said:

Yes, it is.  It's the fault of the server who was too lazy to relay some basic instructions to the kitchen staff, nor did he bother to ensure he was delivering the proper meal.

 

How about we insist the server DO HIS &^@#ING JOB?

Does the waiter's job include making medical decisions though?  The responsibility is 100% with the person/guardian of the person with the food allergy.  IMHAO, of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jimayo said:

Yes, it is.  It's the fault of the server who was too lazy to relay some basic instructions to the kitchen staff, nor did he bother to ensure he was delivering the proper meal.

 

How about we insist the server DO HIS &^@#ING JOB?

If you are a skydiver, do you pack your own chutes, or rely on someone not familiar with your methods?  The guy is an adult, and clearly an expert on his affliction.  Why would he trust someone with his food preparation?  Have a coffee and dessert.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Thanks for the article. This guy must be really pissed off to be spending money on a lawyer.. Not looking at your food closely if you have a serious allergy is contributory negligence and they won't be able to prove that he was served that on purpose.

 

I do hope there wasn't any collusion going on with the waiter/chef though.. 

It's criminal negligence he's being charged with. He doesn't have to have done it on purpose, rather that he did not act with due care & responsibility, causing serious harm to the guest.

 

I've been in the service industry for nearly 15 years. Taking the information in the article at face value, this is absolutely the server's fault.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I reckon like 80%+ of kids eat peanut butter sandwiches for lunch at some point so why should the majority be denied such a delicious lunch because literally one kid has an allergy to it?  There are a lot of food products that people are allergic too such as milk, how asinine would that be to ban yet it's not that far off.  It's beyond a slippery slope, maybe kids that have pets should be home schooled because they carry pet dander on their clothes.  Or maybe society as a whole should just 'nut up'.:ph34r:

 

Studies have shown that introducing infants to small amount of peanuts can actually eradicate the allergy altogether, either that or raise your kid in a bubble and stop being a burden to other people.

 

http://time.com/3719341/peanut-allergy-cure-treatment/

 

 

 

 

1.  It's just been peanut products.  Nobody is seriously talking about milk or pet dander.  There is no slippery slope.

 

2.  When the parents of an infant has a child with peanut allergies that the test scores high and the pediatrician allergist doesn't recommend a contact test...you don't do a contact test.  These studies may look promising, but they're not common accepted practice yet.

 

3.  Don't need a bubble, just a place where a child can go to school without peanuts until they are mature enough to use their own epipen.

 

4.  Sometimes there are rules, in order to ensure the safety of all, where we make small sacrifices.  In this case, this is hardly a sacrifice as there are many alternatives to peanut butter sandwiches for lunch at school.

 

Anyway, we are getting off topic.  So it's probably best just to agree to disagree on this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jimayo said:

HE WAS TOO LAZY TO INFORM THE KITCHEN STAFF OF THE GUY'S ALLERGY LIKE HE WAS ASKED TOO.

 

The outcome would've been vastly different had he not been lazy and &^@#ing worthless.

I can also say the guy was too lazy to look at what he was eating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently food allergies effect 5 to 10% of Canadians and there is no cure for allergies.

 

Guests need to explain their allergy clearly and ask their server directly if there is any, in this case salmon, in the dish they want to order. The food service worker needs to say they do not know if that is the case and then ask the kitchen for an answer. The employee and the employer are responsible and accountable for the result.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DonLever said:

"At the time of the order, the waiter took no notes and never went to the kitchen to talk with staff," Carrier said.

When the meal arrived, an unsuspecting Canuel took a bite of his food.

With the dim lighting, it's not easy to tell the difference between two dishes, especially if they use mayonnaise. It can be confusing," Canuel said.

He soon realized he wasn't eating beef and informed his partner, who is a resident doctor.

"He confirmed that it was salmon and he said we had to go to hospital. We told the waiter, who apologized, saying he would bring me beef," Canuel recalled.

 

"That's when I started going into anaphylactic shock and having difficulty breathing."

Canuel had left his EpiPen in his car.

He was hospitalized at the intensive care unit of the Centre hospitalier universitaire de Sherbrooke, where he was treated for a severe allergic reaction.

He says he also suffered a cardiac arrest the following day and was in a coma for several days.

"I almost died," he said.

So you go to a place that has seafood, your first mistake...you notice the waiter did not go to the kitchen to inform the staff of your allergies...but you do notice the dim lighting and use of Mayo...and conveniently you are having dinner with a resident doctor who can confirm you ate salmon...then leave your epipen in the car...second mistake...Seems way to convenient...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...