The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quebec Waiter Arrested After Seafood Puts Allergic Customer in Coma

DonLever

11 hours ago, Crackers said:

They're not trying to. Negligence means accidental. 

12 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

It's criminal negligence he's being charged with. He doesn't have to have done it on purpose, rather that he did not act with due care & responsibility, causing serious harm to the guest.

I've been in the service industry for nearly 15 years. Taking the information in the article at face value, this is absolutely the server's fault.

Ah, thank guys. Honestly I had no idea criminal negligence was a thing and am still unsure whether it should be. 

The guys screwed up at his job for which the repercussions should be being fired at worst. Going to jail or having to pay a fine (other than to your workplace) doesn't seem reasonable whatsoever. Was the waiter ever talked to by whom he was hired regarding the importance of paying attention when serving people with food allergies? I doubt it. 

Guy screwed up on the job = fired. As for people with food allergies, they should realize that waiters aren't hired based on their intelligence and there is no guarantee when you go to a restaurant that you will be brought what you ordered... that's how I think it should work anyways.

44 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Ah, thank guys. Honestly I had no idea criminal negligence was a thing and am still unsure whether it should be. 

The guys screwed up at his job for which the repercussions should be being fired at worst. Going to jail or having to pay a fine (other than to your workplace) doesn't seem reasonable whatsoever. Was the waiter ever talked to by whom he was hired regarding the importance of paying attention when serving people with food allergies? I doubt it. 

Guy screwed up on the job = fired. As for people with food allergies, they should realize that waiters aren't hired based on their intelligence and there is no guarantee when you go to a restaurant that you will be brought what you ordered... that's how I think it should work anyways.

No problem! It helps that I took a law class last semester too. :P

Yeah I agree that this case may not be one for the negligence charge given the possibility of a language barrier, but criminal negligence is a very necessary thing. What it's basically asking is if someone is not acting in the scope of a reasonable ________ (in this case, waiter), than they are being negligent. 

15 hours ago, fwybwed said:

So you go to a place that has seafood, your first mistake...you notice the waiter did not go to the kitchen to inform the staff of your allergies...but you do notice the dim lighting and use of Mayo...and conveniently you are having dinner with a resident doctor who can confirm you ate salmon...then leave your epipen in the car...second mistake...Seems way to convenient...

Sounds like he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

8 hours ago, Jimayo said:

Everyday, rookie skydivers rely on other professionals to pack their chutes and guide their diving.  What a perfect analogy to show how stupid and wrong your position is.

The food allergy guy wouldn't be a rookie skydiver, would he?  He would be an expert, relying on the rookie (someone completely unfamiliar with his affliction) to pack his chute.  :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Peanut ban....one of my kids was in a class one year...it was like every kid in the classroom had an allergy.  I couldn't send cherry tomatoes,  strawberries, milk, eggs, fish, cheese....it was crazy. I dont remember these being common issues when I was a kid. 

Vaccines:ph34r:

hey-o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

The food allergy guy wouldn't be a rookie skydiver, would he?  He would be an expert, relying on the rookie (someone completely unfamiliar with his affliction) to pack his chute.  :rolleyes:

No.  This is food prep.  Is he a professional who went to school for food prep?  I seriously doubt it.

The professional he is relying on is the waiter, who did not act professionally.

On August 5, 2016 at 9:48 AM, YEGCanuck said:

Apparently food allergies effect 5 to 10% of Canadians and there is no cure for allergies.

Guests need to explain their allergy clearly and ask their server directly if there is any, in this case salmon, in the dish they want to order. The food service worker needs to say they do not know if that is the case and then ask the kitchen for an answer. The employee and the employer are responsible and accountable for the result.

I have multiple allergies and I do this at EVERY RESTAURANT until I'm positive that it isn't. I have known how to use an Epi pen since I was 4-5 years old and I never leave without it. The fault was on the waiter for not taking a life and death situation at heart. 

27 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Also, you eat what you are.

Once you get used to eating low salt low sugar healthy food you stop craving for salt and sugar.

Absolutely true.

i do my best to stay away from sugar and by that I mean sugar not in fruit etc.

the odd time when I'm doing a long work day 11-12hrs, I'll knock back an energy drink.  And man it's like crack because I'm not used to it.  But I notice that if I were to do that a couple times a week my body starts to want it.  The only decent part of that situation is that because I'm physically working the sugar from the drink seems to work through my system like and I don't have a crash after.

since I was 19 now 40 I've become fairly strict with what I eat.  I can't remember my last fast food meal and I mostly eat portions throughout the day as opposed to a couple gorge meals.  

Its onbviusly great that their are so many more healthy options when it comes to food at grocery stores but still surprising how many people choose poor diet especially when it comes to children.

anyway.  A bit of a derailment.  Everyone is different.  All I know is I haven't been to a doctor since '96 for any illness.  And that was mono.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Absolutely true.

the odd time when I'm doing a long work day 11-12hrs, I'll knock back an energy drink.  And man it's like crack because I'm not used to it.  But I notice that if I were to do that a couple times a week my body starts to want it.  The only decent part of that situation is that because I'm physically working the sugar from the drink seems to work through my system like and I don't have a crash after.

since I was 19 now 40 I've become fairly strict with what I eat.  I can't remember my last fast food meal and I mostly eat portions throughout the day as opposed to a couple gorge meals.  

Its onbviusly great that their are so many more healthy options when it comes to food at grocery stores but still surprising how many people choose poor diet especially when it comes to children.

anyway.  A bit of a derailment.  Everyone is different.  All I know is I haven't been to a doctor since '96 for any illness.  And that was mono.

57568720.jpg

18 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Absolutely true.

Well, you are FOURTY now, so maybe it's time you get to that doctor for a good old fashioned REEMING?  :lol:

As someone who has food allergies I can honestly tell you that it  can be rather scary and frustrating dealing with food especially while eating out. If we went to a restaurant and my allergies were blatantly ignored and I was served something I couldn't eat and had a scary reaction i would be livid and sue as well. 

I understand it's not always a easy job and that the  waiter made an honest mistake but food allergies need to be taken more seriously especially life treating ones. 

With that said I being my epi pen with me everywhere and I  would never go out and eat somewhere and leave it in the car that is just stupid. Some people are so sensitive  to foods that just having slight contact to that food causes a reaction  (I get a rash from washing dishes with peanut butter on them) so it seems rather big risk to go eat somewhere without your epi pen.

I also learned the hard way that you also need to be aware of your food when I had a potentially similar thing happen. We went for gelato and both my best friend and I asked for no cookie with our sorbet. The girl asked if we were gluten free and I informed her hat I was and then she put a cookie in my sorbet. I am allergic to wheat I get a rash and stomach issues. It is not life threatening but imagine if it was that girls laziness could had major consequences.

So yeah maybe some of you are finding the fact he is suing to be ridiculous but the fact is that restaurants actually need to take these things more seriously.

Archived