The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wayne Gretzky rookie card sells for record $465K

If you have an old hockey card collection somewhere in your attic, you might want to fish it out.

A Wayne Gretzky rookie card just sold for a whopping $465,000 at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Atlantic City, NJ.

The huge bid is a record for the most paid for any single hockey card, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell.

So to those whose parents who might have thrown their collection out years ago, or simply sold their cards for $0.50 each at a garage sale, sorry about your luck.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1071306

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpDhz40VYAEKk-R.jpg

I have one of those. My collection consists of around 5,000 cards from the late 80s, the 90s and a bunch from the early 2000s. Also have a few duplicates of other rookies (Coffey, Messier, Fuhr, etc) Got Jim Benning's and a Mike Gillis' cards too. (lol) I even have a signed Luc Bourdon rookie card. Neat collection, glad I never threw the old ones away when I was a kid. Brings back good memories of getting excited opening up a fresh pack of O-Pee-Chee, while chomping on the cardboard gum. 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I have one of those. My collection consists of around 5,000 cards from the late 80s, the 90s and a bunch from the early 2000s. Also have a few duplicates of other rookies (Coffey, Messier, Fuhr, etc) Got Jim Benning's and a Mike Gillis' cards too. (lol) I even have a signed Luc Bourdon rookie card. Neat collection, glad I never threw the old ones away when I was a kid. Brings back good memories of getting excited opening up a fresh pack of O-Pee-Chee, while chomping on the cardboard gum. 

Sell the card 

Now that is one expensive rookie card. My wife instantly told me to see all my Canucks cards in hopes of big money ::D

The memories. I got like 3000 Canucks cards or so, but I doubt they are worth much to anyone else but me.

Maybe a UD Jason Herter rookie card will fetch something in the same range?

14 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Most my cards melted together.  Have some Bure CCCP cards and the infamous one of him on roller blades on a cali beach before I even heard of the guy.

'Who's Payvil Burr?'

I got like 5 different Bure cards including the rollerblades one.

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Have one of these as well, never even knew he had a brother who played in the NHL (albeit only 4 games for FLA in 94/95)

s-l1600.jpg

I remember Jamie was in Canucks' camp once. They called him "Jitter".

Oh, and it looks like they photoshopped his head on there.

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember Jamie was in Canucks' camp once. They called him "Jitter".

Oh, and it looks like they photoshopped his head on there.

LOL yeah it does! Looks to me like Jamie is a little unstable on skates. He just looks awkward. 

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I got one too from my uncle but it came in the proverbial  shoebox and was beat to heck.

Was just talking to a colleague of mine about being young and having cards, how we treated them. A game we used to play was me and a friend standing both a set of cards up in a row against a step, standing back, then we'd toss small rocks at them. The ones you knock down you get to keep. Ruined a lot of cards that way. Also, the "putting the card in the bike spokes" to get that motorized effect lol

As far as what some person paid for Gretzky's card, that's ridiculous. Sounds like he just has too much money to know what to do with.

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Was just talking to a colleague of mine about being young and having cards, how we treated them. A game we used to play was me and a friend standing both a set of cards up in a row against a step, standing back, then we'd toss small rocks at them. The ones you knock down you get to keep. Ruined a lot of cards that way. Also, the "putting the card in the bike spokes" to get that motorized effect lol

As far as what some person paid for Gretzky's card, that's ridiculous. Sounds like he just has too much money to know what to do with.

Remember when Gretz and Bruce McNall paid $450 grand for a Honus Wagner baseball card? It has sold a couple of times since, most recently to an unknown buyer for $2.1 million US.

1 hour ago, Spoosh said:

Maybe a UD Jason Herter rookie card will fetch something in the same range?

I have Herter's draft/rookie card or whatever you call it too.  I remember keeping it safe back in the day because all the talk was that he was the next huge superstar for us.

i think it's still safe somewhere :lol:

Archived