The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Aaron Rome suing NHL after career-ending hip injury

Former NHL defenseman Aaron Rome sued the NHL and his insurance company after a career-ending hip injury, according to Sarah Mervosh of The Dallas Morning News.

Rome was injured as a member of the Dallas Stars in 2014, and was bought out by the club that summer following 52 appearances in two seasons with the club.

After failed attempts to make the Detroit Red Wings and AHL's Norfolk Admirals prior to the 2014-15 season on pro tryout deals, he made a claim for disability benefits from his insurance company, but was denied.

Mervosh reports:

A copy of the NHL's benefits guide included in the lawsuit says players will receive a lump sum if they suffer a career-ending disability, ranging from $200,000 to $1 million depending on their age. But it also says cumulative injuries do not count.

Prior to the 2014 injury, Rome had to have multiple surgeries and injured himself throwing a hip check.

Rome's lawsuit claims the NHL and the insurance company "mistreated an athlete who gave his heart and effort to professional hockey only to be betrayed by those who were supposed to help, protect, and provide benefits he undoubtedly deserves."

The amount being sought in the suit has not been disclosed.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1071566

Sure somebody may be culpable here but really I have a hard time mustering too much sympathy when millionaires sue billionaires over playing a game that they are not only well compensated for but fully know that it is a dangerous game.  I am still bothered by injuries sustained from playing amateur rugby (I'm not looking for a payday or sympathy, it is what it is - I played the game, I got injured, I live with it).  I do have sympathy for "Joe" down at the gravel pit who puts his back out working for a few measly dollars an hour - does anybody ever think about him?  There are many people who get injured doing their job who get nowhere near the amount of money or prestige of an NHL hockey player.  I do have some sympathy for Rome but let's not get carried away thinking that this is a tragedy just because it is a name we know and a game we like.  Lawyers are the only scumbags who benefit from cases like this.  And there are thousands of people who go through life with a lot more hardship than a pro athlete.  If he has medical needs he can go to any hospital in Canada and get them for free.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah let's sue all the teams so they eventually go bankrupt from injury claims! Who needs the NHL....

The guy was wrongly banned from playing the most important 4 games of his life... Something he earned with hard work over years and years. I don't even care about this situation... He should stick it to this gutless league and get his money. 

When he laid the hit, it wasn't against NHL rules at the time and was clean. 

That being said, it was probably more a vendetta against the city of Vancouver and the glorious Canucks franchise than anything against Romer. He was just collateral damage of a corrupt league. 

Hope Romer gets paid. 

12 minutes ago, apollo said:

The guy was wrongly banned from playing the most important 4 games of his life... Something he earned with hard work over years and years. I don't even care about this situation... He should stick it to this gutless league and get his money. 

When he laid the hit, it wasn't against NHL rules at the time and was clean. 

That being said, it was probably more a vendetta against the city of Vancouver and the glorious Canucks franchise than anything against Romer. He was just collateral damage of a corrupt league. 

Hope Romer gets paid. 

Totally agree. Always thought he was a honest hard working player who had to work hard to stay in the NHL. I highly doubt he is a millionaire as asserted. My sympathy is as you pointed out being sat out for the 4 games in 2011. If he had played and Van won he could have nailed down a pretty decent contract as a reward.

On the injury front I doubt he has much chance but then I don't know what his history was. It is the agent's responsibility to ensure his client is protected with proper insurance. Unfortunately agents quickly lose interest when the contracts dry up.

One of the reasons I always admired Mike Gillis. He was shafted by Allen Eagleson but he didn't role over but took him to court and won. It began the Eagle's down fall and good for Gillis.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Sarcasm? The guy is still a millionaire. Disability benefits or not.

image.png

image.png

Definitely not as well off as you may think. And I sincerely doubt he's a millionaire. Taxes, agent fees, life on the road among other "well off" NHLers, living expenses over the years. Doubt he's "well off".

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

image.png

image.png

Definitely not as well off as you may think. And I certainly doubt he's a millionaire.

Thing is I'm 100% sure he has enough money to support himself while he gets an education and finds new work in a skilled trade or in business or whatever he likes, he just likely doesn't want to work.

I think romer has some grounds for a good case, but we'll see how he fairs going up against the league.

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

image.png

image.png

Definitely not as well off as you may think. And I certainly doubt he's a millionaire.

You don't think that of the 7.75 million he's been paid, that once you subtract income tax, any cars he bought, places that he bought/rented, he doesn't have at least a million left? And even if he doesn't, if he has half a million to 3/4 of a million to his name, I'd say he's doing pretty fine.

I thought the NHL has some sort of health insurance for players whose careers have been cut short due to injury? Thought it was written or worked out somewhere between the NHL and the NHLPA to have some insurance and payment to players who have career ending injuries

Archived