The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2016 Rio Olympics Thread

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

funny..today is the 71st year since that bombing...on another note...Ron McLean is insufferable with all his anecdotes.

Gotta thank you for that Shaky. I was flipping back and forth between the TSN and SNET channels. (which are all bunched together on my cable package) I didn't even think about CBC until you mentioned McLean and now I see they have the Soccer match scheduled.:)

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Doesn't look like there's any coverage of Canada vs Zimbabwe in Women's soccer today?:huh:

I believe the game starts at 11 am and CBC should have it. Can't wait.....though Zimbabwe may not be as much of a challenge as Australia was made out to be. What a match THAT was! :)

1 minute ago, Cerridwen said:

I believe the game starts at 11 am and CBC should have it. Can't wait.....though Zimbabwe may not be as much of a challenge as Australia was made out to be. What a match THAT was! :)

I'm a bit surprised that it's not getting more attention. Playing with 10 for most of the match and still managed to knock off the higher ranked Aussies.

Didnt know that rugby sevens only played 2..7 minute halves...and they play 2 games in a day.....

Really funny ..this is the first Olympics I can remember where Steve Armitage is not calling the swimming...Elliot Friedman doesnt hold a candle to him.

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm a bit surprised that it's not getting more attention. Playing with 10 for most of the match and still managed to knock off the higher ranked Aussies.

I hear ya!!  That was just an amazing match. Perhaps it's because that match was played before the official opening of the games but you'd think here in Canada....particularly in the West......there'd be more hype about it.  And as far as Zimbabwe goes, maybe it's because a lot of people think it's an automatic win given Zimbabwe's world ranking of 93rd to our 10. But hey, we knocked off the 5th ranked Aussies from our 10th ranking....... and set a new Olympic record with the fastest goal ever scored in the games, to boot!

On any given day.....

17 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Hey, that's my original avatar on here! ::D Well, at least until we weren't allowed to have animated ones for a time! Borrowing it back for the Olympics! :P

I decided to go with that one because Canadian Girls Kick Ass!!!!

2 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

I hear ya!!  That was just an amazing match. Perhaps it's because that match was played before the official opening of the games but you'd think here in Canada....particularly in the West......there'd be more hype about it.  And as far as Zimbabwe goes, maybe it's because a lot of people think it's an automatic win given Zimbabwe's world ranking of 93rd to our 10. But hey, we knocked off the 5th ranked Aussies from our 10th ranking....... and set a new Olympic record with the fastest goal ever scored in the games, to boot!

On any given day.....

I think that match showed us what we have in Sinclair. Even though Beckie was clinical in finishing, that goal was all Christine.

She's not just one of Canada's greatest female athletes, she's one of the all time greats, period.

Just now, Shift-4 said:

What???

What's the story with that?

She was injured, but says that she's fully recovered. Rugby Canada felt differently, I suppose.

""

Funny thing is, the only thing I could find online about it was an article in French that I had to translate: http://www.journaldequebec.com/2016/07/07/rio-magali-harvey-exclue-de-lequipe-canadienne-de-rugby-a-7

Archived