The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Help free Sven and Laura!

thejazz97

Bear and us

Help free Sven Baertschi & Laura Calvert!

Sven Baertschi of the Vancouver Canucks and his girlfriend, Laura are locking themselves in a dog kennel on Friday August 12and they need your help to get out! As an important fundraiser for the BC SPCA, Sven & Laura need to raise at least $4000 to be set free. The BC SPCA rescues and supports thousands of abused, neglected, homeless, injured and sick animals each year across British Columbia, giving these animals the opportunity for a healthy and happy life.

“We love to support the BC SPCA because we know that animals don’t have a voice and they need people to advocate for them. An old quote reads, ‘Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened’…and that is certainly true of our love for our dog, Bear. Our goal is that every animal be loved the way we love him,” – Sven Baertschi

Sven & Laura’s Bail is posted at: $4,000.00

Thank you so much for your support!

Sven and Laura (and Bear) 

http://support.spca.bc.ca/site/TR?px=1704462&fr_id=1870&pg=personal

15 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Sven works with buddies who make a combined total of  $70, 000, 000.00.  At my workplace my colleagues have no problem asking me to support their (or their kids') fundraisers. 

You're missing the point. First, maybe he has already asked them to donate. Second, awareness is critical for issues like this. $4,000 is relatively measly. The purpose isn't to solve everything with cash it is to make people aware of the cruelty that can occur against animals. This story makes headlines and keeps the issue in people's heads as they go about their daily routine.

45 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This story makes headlines and keeps the issue in people's heads as they go about their daily routine.

One of his hockey buddies flipping that bill in one shot would get WAY more publicity/exposure/headlines than 400 anonymous people donating 10 bucks each. 

People,  for the most part imo,  are perfectly aware of animal cruelty/abuse,  they're just too wrapped up in their seemingly important lives to alter their routines and do anything about it.  

Just now, Fanuck said:

One of his hockey buddies flipping that bill in one shot would get WAY more publicity/exposure/headlines than 400 anonymous people donating 10 bucks each. 

People,  for the most part imo,  are perfectly aware of animal cruelty/abuse,  they're just too wrapped up in their seemingly important lives to alter their routines and do anything about it.  

The publicity doesn't come from the amount of money donated it comes from the photo op+story+connection to an athlete. 

I never understand why people are so eager to publicly belittle other people's attempts at drawing awareness to something. "Why didn't you just donate the money yourself, why didn't you just get your rich friends to donate, blah blah blah". Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to donate money. This isn't even like a celebrity doing something publicly solely to raise their exposure to increase likelihood of getting a movie deal. The guy has a contract, he just wanted to do something nice/different.

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The publicity doesn't come from the amount of money donated it comes from the photo op+story+connection to an athlete. 

I never understand why people are so eager to publicly belittle other people's attempts at drawing awareness to something. "Why didn't you just donate the money yourself, why didn't you just get your rich friends to donate, blah blah blah". Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to donate money. This isn't even like a celebrity doing something publicly solely to raise their exposure to increase likelihood of getting a movie deal. The guy has a contract, he just wanted to do something nice/different.

Don't know why you're popping off on me,  but I'm perfectly aware of how social media promotes societal causes - I was suggesting a possible strategy for more exposure/awareness.   One of his pseudo-celebrity hockey buddies donates and all of a sudden it's all over the media, Canucks homepage,  Canucks Twitter, NHL homepage,  NHL twitter ect....

35 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Don't know why you're popping off on me,  but I'm perfectly aware of how social media promotes societal causes - I was suggesting a possible strategy for more exposure/awareness.   One of his pseudo-celebrity hockey buddies donates and all of a sudden it's all over the media, Canucks homepage,  Canucks Twitter, NHL homepage,  NHL twitter ect....

Not trying to attack you personally, the latter part of my post was just a general observation. 

39 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

It’s relatively easy for someone to simply donate, and athletes donate all the time and unless it’s substantial it doesn’t get picked up but big networks. In terms of non-profit marketing, physical acts resonated more with the consumer.    

56 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

if one of his buddies donated 4k, salty folk like you would complain that 4k is pennies to them. Newsflash, its HIM thats generating the publicity, and the money is meaningless.

29 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s relatively easy for someone to simply donate, and athletes donate all the time and unless it’s substantial it doesn’t get picked up but big networks. In terms of non-profit marketing, physical acts resonated more with the consumer.    

How about if a teammate offered to donate 4k to keep them in the kennel over night? That might make news.

Archived