The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Roy leaving Colorado [QUITS]

3 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

He gets so much love from here but does nothign to deserve it, other than being one of the best athletes to come from our region.  I'm huge on local talent, I love it when they reciprocate the support with charity, exposure, or any kind of love whatsoever.  I feel none of that from Colorado Joe.  He could have at least been a torch bearer at the 2010 games.

I got a soft spot for Sakic since he's probably the best athlete to come out of Burnaby. One thing about him when he was a player was that a lot of times when he did do charity work, he did it quietly and without fanfair just like how he went about with his hockey. As for being a torch bearer, With people like Steve Nash at the time, he was irrelevant.

20 minutes ago, smokes said:

I got a soft spot for Sakic since he's probably the best athlete to come out of Burnaby. One thing about him when he was a player was that a lot of times when he did do charity work, he did it quietly and without fanfair just like how he went about with his hockey. As for being a torch bearer, With people like Steve Nash at the time, he was irrelevant.

Honestly, I didn't want to crap on him too hard, for all I know he does do charity work here quietly or anonymously, he certainly seems like a more level headed guy than Roy.  I do know he does charity work in Denver and other areas, so I did wondered.  He's for sure the best athlete to come out of Burnaby, and rivals Nash IMO for the entire Province.  If I had to pick a team captain for an alumni game and my choices were Sakic or Roy, I'd pick Sakic.  I really wish he was a torch bearer though, the games were here, he's from here, he played with Team Canada previously.  He was here for the games, I wish he had been more involved. 

2 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Honestly, I didn't want to crap on him too hard, for all I know he does do charity work here quietly or anonymously, he certainly seems like a more level headed guy than Roy.  I do know he does charity work in Denver and other areas, so I did wondered.  He's for sure the best athlete to come out of Burnaby, and rivals Nash IMO for the entire Province.  If I had to pick a team captain for an alumni game and my choices were Sakic or Roy, I'd pick Sakic.  I really wish he was a torch bearer though, the games were here, he's from here, he played with Team Canada previously.  He was here for the games, I wish he had been more involved. 

I'm sure he would have been honored if he'd been asked.  The guy was so respected he even had Detroit's veterans stop Avery from chirping him.  He spent basically his entire career in Colorado, so he did his charity work there.  Kind of how Linden chose to do his here.  

As for Roy, I think he's like Hunter and best suited to coach junior.  Whatever you think of his style, he has a passion for winning like few others.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm sure he would have been honored if he'd been asked.  The guy was so respected he even had Detroit's veterans stop Avery from chirping him.  He spent basically his entire career in Colorado, so he did his charity work there.  Kind of how Linden chose to do his here.  

As for Roy, I think he's like Hunter and best suited to coach junior.  Whatever you think of his style, he has a passion for winning like few others.

I agree he is better suited for junior, and that he has a passion for winning, but he seems very unstable.  I don't think he has the self control to coach professionals.  

When I started down the Sakic path, I was suggesting the two likely didn't see eye to eye, one seems extroverted and the other introverted and I always found them to be an "odd couple".  I don't know that he was or wasn't asked to be honoured in 2010, but I would think he was, if he wasn't, what a colossal fail that would be from the IOC to not ask the most famous local winter sport professional athlete from the region to contribute.  I sensationalized the comment by calling him Colorado Joe, which I don't take back.  I'm sure he is a great guy, and well respected, but I still question the relevancy to a nickname referencing his connection to Burnaby.  I believe he is widely known as Super Joe outside of the LM.  I do think your comparison to Medicine Hat Trev is totally accurate.  They are similar in many ways.

4 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I agree he is better suited for junior, and that he has a passion for winning, but he seems very unstable.  I don't think he has the self control to coach professionals.  

When I started down the Sakic path, I was suggesting the two likely didn't see eye to eye, one seems extroverted and the other introverted and I always found them to be an "odd couple".  I don't know that he was or wasn't asked to be honoured in 2010, but I would think he was, if he wasn't, what a colossal fail that would be from the IOC to not ask the most famous local winter sport professional athlete from the region to contribute.  I sensationalized the comment by calling him Colorado Joe, which I don't take back.  I'm sure he is a great guy, and well respected, but I still question the relevancy to a nickname referencing his connection to Burnaby.  I believe he is widely known as Super Joe outside of the LM.  I do think your comparison to Medicine Hat Trev is totally accurate.  They are similar in many ways.

Do you not think it's a little unfair to automatically assume he wasn't asked and blame Sakic? 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Do you not think it's a little unfair to automatically assume he wasn't asked and blame Sakic? 

I never said that.  I made no assumptions.  I said if he wasn't asked, it's a total failure by the IOC.  Rarely do I make definitive statements about issues with unknowns, I'm a perennial fence-sitter.  I "think" he was asked, it makes sense that he was.  I think I should start a thread, this has some people riled.  Do you think it likely the IOC didn't ask Joe freaking Sakic to be a torch bearer?  I don't think that's likely at all.

12 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I never said that.  I made no assumptions.  I said if he wasn't asked, it's a total failure by the IOC.  Rarely do I make definitive statements about issues with unknowns, I'm a perennial fence-sitter.  I "think" he was asked, it makes sense that he was.  I think I should start a thread, this has some people riled.  Do you think it likely the IOC didn't ask Joe freaking Sakic to be a torch bearer?  I don't think that's likely at all.

And I also don't think it's likely he was asked and said no, unless he thought someone else deserved it more.  We'll never know but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to one of the classiest guys ever to play the game.

11 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Sounds like Colorado Joe and Patrick Roy don't see eye to eye.

Colorado Joe indeed. 

Hated the nickname burnaby Joe... The guy showed 0 loyalty to Burnaby or BC. Colorado sell out! 

As for Roy, I'm sure he'll find another job... 

Archived