The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dumbest Thing You Have Done When You Were Drunk?

nux4lyfe

On August 18, 2016 at 11:44 AM, debluvscanucks said:

I think we should also have a category that leaves off the "when you were drunk".

The dumbest thing I ever did had a huge impact on how I went into things after that.  My first panic attack(s), and I learned to think things through before going ahead with them.

I was fourteen.  I loved Led Zeppelin...my boyfriend and I both...it was "our" music.  He was my childhood sweetheart and we'd marry years later. 

He was sent back to England by his parents for misbehaving.  Sent to a farm to live with relatives to "cool his jets", as a rebellious boy.

I was determined to see the show in Seattle, even if without him....I had to.  Got a ticket, along with friends...one of whom had an older brother who'd agreed to take/drive us to the show and back.  It was one of the first (and only) times I lied to (or withheld the truth from) my parents, who thought the show was in Van.

The night before the concert, Marion's brother changed plans and was no longer driving.  He got rid of Marion's ticket for her.  I had mine.

Back in the day, everyone gathered and hung out at McDonalds so I headed there on the day of the show to pose my "what should I do now?" question to the meatheads I hung around with.  Who quickly came up with the brainless idea for me to hitchhike there.  "It's easy".  "It's not that far".  Etc.  BS

Hitchhiking was common back then....it was a way we got places if we didn't have a ride.  So it wasn't that ridiculous an idea.  Or so I thought.

Had never been to Seattle.  Had about $8 in my pocket.  Off I went.  Didn't even bat an eye or consider the "what if's".

Got a ride across the border (no passports needed back then), then stuck out my thumb on the I-5 in Blaine.  A guy picked me up...had a flat of beer beside him and kept pushing for me to have one.  I didn't.

I knew enough to know we had to stay on the highway until we hit Seattle exits.  But somewhere just past Bellingham he took an exit.  I was concerned immediately.  I questioned why he wasn't staying on the I-5 and he told me had to do something.  Not to worry, it'd be quick.

I got a sick feeling in my stomach in seeing that the isolated road we turned onto had NOTHING but fields and a large barn way off in the distance.  Red flags all over the place for me.

I knew this was not a good predicament...I sensed it.

As he had to slow down for a railroad crossing that had a stopsign at it, I jumped out and ran like hell in the other direction.  I was terrified and kept looking back but he didn't turn around.

I got back to the I-5 and, like an idiot and without knowing what else to do, I stuck my thumb back out.  A van with potheads picked me up and took me right to the Kingdome.  I felt sick.  An overwhelming fear came over me in the realization that I'd have to get home alone.  In the dark.  It was my first ever panic attack. 

As I stood on the floor and the concert started, I couldnt shake the terror I was feeling.  Then I heard someone call "Deb".  I desperately hoped I did.  And, sure enough, there were 3 friends of my boyfriend's who'd driven out for the show and would drive me home afterward.

It wasn't until years later when I was watching a documentary on the Green River killings that I froze and the hair stood up on my arms.  I'm convinced it was him. 

True story.  Dumbest of the dumb things ever.  And it could have had disastrous results.

I mostly was the DD for the drunks in our group...have stories of them mostly....

Wow.

great and terrible story.  I don't think hitching is as common as it was obviously, but nevertheless a good reminder for all, especially women of the unfortunate risks involved.  Good on you for trusting your gut.  I'm sure you have shared this with others.

interesting how the decisions we make that involve risk are often made during times of anticipation of a positive event.  Almost as if subconsciously we would take a risk for the goal.  

Certainly the risks are greater for lone women who are hitch hiking but it is still a sketchy endeavour for anyone.  I've done it a lot.  Everywhere.  One of the most nerve racking was in Panama.  Was trying to get to a surf spot.  I was on my own with just enough money for some cab fair but enough to make it worth the while of a group or armed person to have a go at me.  I started off in a cab but an hour in the car broke down and we pulled into a roadside gas station.  I asked around if anyone would be able to take me the remainder and of course a group of three guys offered a ride.  I got in with some reservation.  They immediately started drinking hard bar and we still had a half hour or so to go.  It ended ok (luckily not enough time for them to get wasted, crash, or decide to rob me), but I couldnt wait to be 100' off shore with a view of their taillights.  

On 8/18/2016 at 11:44 AM, debluvscanucks said:

I think we should also have a category that leaves off the "when you were drunk".

The dumbest thing I ever did had a huge impact on how I went into things after that.  My first panic attack(s), and I learned to think things through before going ahead with them.

I was fourteen.  I loved Led Zeppelin...my boyfriend and I both...it was "our" music.  He was my childhood sweetheart and we'd marry years later. 

He was sent back to England by his parents for misbehaving.  Sent to a farm to live with relatives to "cool his jets", as a rebellious boy.

I was determined to see the show in Seattle, even if without him....I had to.  Got a ticket, along with friends...one of whom had an older brother who'd agreed to take/drive us to the show and back.  It was one of the first (and only) times I lied to (or withheld the truth from) my parents, who thought the show was in Van.

The night before the concert, Marion's brother changed plans and was no longer driving.  He got rid of Marion's ticket for her.  I had mine.

Back in the day, everyone gathered and hung out at McDonalds so I headed there on the day of the show to pose my "what should I do now?" question to the meatheads I hung around with.  Who quickly came up with the brainless idea for me to hitchhike there.  "It's easy".  "It's not that far".  Etc.  BS

Hitchhiking was common back then....it was a way we got places if we didn't have a ride.  So it wasn't that ridiculous an idea.  Or so I thought.

Had never been to Seattle.  Had about $8 in my pocket.  Off I went.  Didn't even bat an eye or consider the "what if's".

Got a ride across the border (no passports needed back then), then stuck out my thumb on the I-5 in Blaine.  A guy picked me up...had a flat of beer beside him and kept pushing for me to have one.  I didn't.

I knew enough to know we had to stay on the highway until we hit Seattle exits.  But somewhere just past Bellingham he took an exit.  I was concerned immediately.  I questioned why he wasn't staying on the I-5 and he told me had to do something.  Not to worry, it'd be quick.

I got a sick feeling in my stomach in seeing that the isolated road we turned onto had NOTHING but fields and a large barn way off in the distance.  Red flags all over the place for me.

I knew this was not a good predicament...I sensed it.

As he had to slow down for a railroad crossing that had a stopsign at it, I jumped out and ran like hell in the other direction.  I was terrified and kept looking back but he didn't turn around.

I got back to the I-5 and, like an idiot and without knowing what else to do, I stuck my thumb back out.  A van with potheads picked me up and took me right to the Kingdome.  I felt sick.  An overwhelming fear came over me in the realization that I'd have to get home alone.  In the dark.  It was my first ever panic attack. 

As I stood on the floor and the concert started, I couldnt shake the terror I was feeling.  Then I heard someone call "Deb".  I desperately hoped I did.  And, sure enough, there were 3 friends of my boyfriend's who'd driven out for the show and would drive me home afterward.

It wasn't until years later when I was watching a documentary on the Green River killings that I froze and the hair stood up on my arms.  I'm convinced it was him. 

True story.  Dumbest of the dumb things ever.  And it could have had disastrous results.

I mostly was the DD for the drunks in our group...have stories of them mostly....

Crazy story for sure, Glad you are safe and sound..Always follow your gut instinct, I swear it's always right.

• 1 month later...

This just came to mind.  Back in August, I was doing my usual thing, drinking wine and eating Thai.  After dinner, I went shopping, and was thinking of the oversized look, how I wanted the shirts to hang on me, as a casual look, and bought shirts in L and XL.  The next day, I tried them on, and was thinking - why did I do this?! I ended up returning them and buying them in my real size, for a more fitting look.

10 hours ago, brilac said:

This just came to mind.  Back in August, I was doing my usual thing, drinking wine and eating Thai.  After dinner, I went shopping, and was thinking of the oversized look, how I wanted the shirts to hang on me, as a casual look, and bought shirts in L and XL.  The next day, I tried them on, and was thinking - why did I do this?! I ended up returning them and buying them in my real size, for a more fitting look.

image.gif

Archived