The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hiring] Flames Hire Don Maloney as Pro Scout

DeNiro

The Calgary Flames announced on Wednesday the hiring of veteran executive Don Maloney as a pro scout.

A native of Lindsay, Ontario, Maloney spent the last nine seasons as the general manager and executive vice president of the Arizona Coyotes. He was dismissed in June

Maloney, 57, was the National Hockey League's first-ever General Manager of the Year with the award's introduction after the 2009-2010 season. He left the Coyotes as the franchise's leader in wins for a GM.

A veteran of 13 NHL seasons as a player with the New York Rangers, Hartford Whalers and the New York Islanders, Maloney's first front-office job came when he served as the GM of the Islanders from 1992 to 1995.

Prior to joining the Coyotes, Maloney served as the Rangers' assistant general manager and director of player personnel from 1996 to 2007.

http://www.tsn.ca/flames-hire-maloney-as-pro-scout-1.549205 

A pretty under the radar move by the Flames. I thought Maloney did a great job in Arizona finding talent with serious budget restrictions.

The Flames have already done a great job drafting lately, this will only help.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Good hire.

Surprised the Yotes were indiscreet enough to criticize Maloney's player valuations publicly.

I thought he did a hell of a job for a shadow franchise in Phoenix.

agreed ,,   verrrrryyyyy sneeeeeaaaaakyyyyy  ....

Have to admit I enjoy seeing good hockey men be re-employed!

I mean > really the world is still in his hand. Top agent in the past. Gretzky as his client.  Well connected. Can handle owners, bankruptcy courts, the NHL brass. He could have done a ton of things! Extremely qualified...

He's doing this, I would guess, because its the component of hockey he loves the most?

Great retirement gift where everyone will benefit in Cowtown.

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I mean > really the world is still in his hand. Top agent in the past. Gretzky as his client.  Well connected. Can handle owners, bankruptcy courts, the NHL brass. He could have done a ton of things! Extremely qualified...

He's doing this, I would guess, because its the component of hockey he loves the most?

He's only 57.  Do you think Maloney really wants a less demanding job while he slides towards retirement?  Or is it a favour, or something else......Burkie is 61

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

He's only 57.  Do you think Maloney really wants a less demanding job while he slides towards retirement?  Or is it a favour, or something else......Burkie is 61

Compared to running the Coyotes? 

Its a very simple, relaxing & stress free job.

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Think you're confusing Maloney with Mike Barnett.  Maloney's been a lot of things in the hockey industry - a top six LW on a good NYR team in the 70s/80s...solid hockey exec...but a player agent he's not and never been.  Really doubt this is a "slide into retirement" post for Maloney.

1 hour ago, HK Phooey said:

Think you're confusing Maloney with Mike Barnett.  Maloney's been a lot of things in the hockey industry - a top six LW on a good NYR team in the 70s/80s...solid hockey exec...but a player agent he's not and never been.  Really doubt this is a "slide into retirement" post for Maloney.

Yeah you are dead right.  Should test Google not my (poor) memory.

Archived