The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Nintendo NX

Mathew Barzal

First impressions?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Didn't see a thread on this yet, so I'm assuming all the talk that's been going on about it was in the Wii U thread.

Well, time is winding down and Nintendo hasn't said much of anything on this upcoming console/handheld hybrid.

KrDPVRKHOed3z31H9H4IrCquUI_PnvYdH-bocksKPrU.png?w=882&s=a8b9e22107ed78f9c6b0937b99eabaf5

Here are a couple of articles covering the sparse amount of rumours. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

http://segmentnext.com/2016/08/17/report-nintendo-nx-is-using-tegra-x2-chip-more-powerful-than-x1/?

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/29/nintendo-reconfirms-the-nx-is-due-to-launch-next-march/

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

Personally, I skipped the Wii U after going through the motions of the Wii gimmick. There's a lot of love and hate for the NX's specs and features and what not but honestly as long as they provide me with a solid lineup of games INCLUDING third party companies (Looking at you EA) I'm picking it up.

If it tanks then what the hell, I'll pick up the Wii U after the inevitable price drop.

I've owned everything Nintendo besides a NES and a Virtual Boy. That ends with the NX. The hybrid thing is a terrible idea IMO. Nothing about it appeals to me at all.

“It’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one,” said one exec that has got hands on with the machine. “It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

Ehhhhhh. Oh well. I guess the market doesn't really need three versions of the same product but the whole thing just sounds sorta lame to me. 

Here's my deal: If Nintendo is going to release a handheld product that can be streamed to a TV easily and without sacrificing quality or requiring money on peripherals, then great. 

I also hope this "casual phone gamer" market doesn't mean the games will be skimpy in terms of content. While I am 100% a casual gamer these days, I would not want a new Zelda game that take 3-5 hours to beat.

I had a fair bit of fun with my Wii U, and with a launch lineup like Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda, I will undoubtedly grab the NX - I am just not entirely sure that I'm optimistic about it. I sincerely hope the Pokemon game is something more than just Snap or Stadium or some junk like that. There's also a Dragon Quest MMO slated for release too - how cool is that? Also plenty of rumours surrounding some more Square Enix involvement. If FF7 remake or KH series was ported over, I would die. These are some of the only titles that make me miss console gaming. 

Finally, is there any word on back compatibility or old catalogue availability? Am I going to have to buy old SNES and Nintendo games all over again, or will they just not be made available? 

As for third party support... Eh, I don't really care. I would not buy the NX to play much of anything other than Nintendo games on it, to be honest. In an ideal world there would be some good JRPGs on there for me to play, some indie games, and that's all I really care about. Things like FPS games are what I would turn to a PS4 for. 

If Nintendo could somehow integrate the NX with the handheld market, I think it would be fantastic. 

In my previous post I said I would hate for a Pokemon Stadium game to be a thing at launch - but what if the Pokemon Stadium game was somehow linked with Pokemon Go? That would be cool as hell.

And a final thought for now: Nintendo NX *NEEDS* (in my opinion) to have a web presence. It needs to have achievements, it needs to have scores, it needs to combine the social aspect of grinding and gaming if it wants to overlap this with casual or handheld gaming. 

The Wii and Wii U dashboards and "online" aspects were so terrible and uninspiring. 

The Wii U was a disappointment for me. Only a few games I enjoyed but none were close to being must-owns. Got it mainly for Metroid and Zelda. Didn't get a Metroid, and Zelda still hasn't come out yet.

Not going to buy the NX until there's a pricedrop and a decent library of games.

2 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Is it their only system? I might purchase it if it's the only way to play Pokemon games. Otherwise, no way no how. My Nintendo console days died with the Wii.

3ds has pokemon games - but it's a straight handheld and not a console

Just now, ajhockey said:

Yeah, that's the only reason why I do own a 3DS.

if Nintendo is even remotely intelligent with the NX, they will make the mobile, handheld (3ds) and console all connect in some beneficial way - so, I imagine if you're big on Pokemon and Nintendo is using Pokemon as a selling point for the NX, there will be some interconnectivity

I cannot imagine any reason as to why this wouldn't be a thing. But Nintendo has made some really weird choices before.

Pokemon's value is absurdly high right now, they better run with it. 

Just now, GLASSJAW said:

Pokemon's value is absurdly high right now, they better run with it. 

I think their challenge will be converting Pokemon GO users to hardcore Pokemon fans, including the real games. I suspect it'll be a big challenge though.

13 hours ago, Rocky Balboa said:

Nintendo needs to return to its roots and stop with this hybrid/gimmick crap. 

Completely agree. 

If they make a system that I can play games like Overwatch and NHL on, along with Mario Kart, I'm sold

On ‎08‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:52 PM, Incursio said:

Completely agree. 

If they make a system that I can play games like Overwatch and NHL on, along with Mario Kart, I'm sold

It seems so simple doesn't it?  After the big bomb the was the WiiU, you'd think they'd be able to figure this out. A year ago when rumors of a new console first emerged, the talk was that the specs would blow the PS4 and Xbox One away. Now a year later, we're hearing that it will be some bastardized hybrid that might not even be as powerful as the first gen PS4 and XBOne, let alone the next gen PS5 and Project Scorpio both due in the next 6 months. There's even word that it won't be able to output at 1080p or be backwards compatible (unlike the next gen boxes coming up).

I hope the latest NX rumors are false because any hybrid that will just end up being gimmicky, under-powered and lack third party support will not end up in my living room.

Archived