Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should the Canucks offer sheet Artemi Panarin next summer?


Thoughts on Canucks offer sheeting Panarin?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

LWer 24 years of age. Scored 77 points last season. Some say he benefitted from playing alongside Patrick Kane but Panarin held his own and is a 1st line calibre player regardless. Not to mention, it's a 2way street and as much as it helped playing alongside Kane, Kane also benefitted from playing alongside Panarin so there's that.

 

Chicago is cap strapped having a handful of core players signed long term and even for this upcoming season, they've filled in the remaining roster spots with minimal salary players since they can't really have any other expensive guys.

 

 

...guestimating after this season, the Hawks would have to sign Artemi somewhere in the ballpark between $6M-$6.5M to successfully fit him under the teams cap and a part of their future. If an organization were to give the Hawks a problem with an offersheet, I think an offer between $7M-$7.5M would be able to do it. Something Chicago would just have to live with being in a cap world and at the end of the day, take the compensation and walk away with.

 

The Canucks could easily make room to be able to offer $7.5M annually to Panarin for how many ever years they like and the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick (http://www.generalfanager.com/draftpicks/offersheets). The real question is: if the Canucks can show they are good enough this season not to be a bottom feeder (bottom 10 team), then the risk of losing those picks wouldn't be as high and allow for the team to pull the trigger. It's a totally different story and something which you don't consider if they completely fall apart this year but I'm talking hypothetical in which they are a middle of the pack team who are in the running for a playoff spot and show they can benefit from the offersheet, not worrying about the picks.

 

 

Here's a history of NHL offersheets: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_players_who_have_signed_offer_sheets. It happens every now and then and if the Canucks are good enough to be knocking on the playoff door or end up making it this year, I don't see why management doesn't consider this. $7.5M is something out of the reach for Chicago and would be fair for the Canucks considering they'd be getting a skilled 1st line scoring winger. The organizational depth at LW is scarce as is anyways and we'd have an instant replacement for Dank. Panarin alongside Bo would be pretty sweet as well...I mean, you can't tell me you think about that and don't get excited - a future top line of Panarin-Horvat-Boeser/Jake :PB) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

LWer 24 years of age. Scored 77 points last season. Some say he benefitted from playing alongside Patrick Kane but Panarin held his own and is a 1st line calibre player regardless. Not to mention, it's a 2way street and as much as it helped playing alongside Kane, Kane also benefitted from playing alongside Panarin so there's that.

 

Chicago is cap strapped having a handful of core players signed long term and even for this upcoming season, they've filled in the remaining roster spots with minimal salary players since they can't really have any other expensive guys.

 

 

...guestimating after this season, the Hawks would have to sign Artemi somewhere in the ballpark between $6M-$6.5M to successfully fit him under the teams cap and a part of their future. If an organization were to give the Hawks a problem with an offersheet, I think an offer between $7M-$7.5M would be able to do it. Something Chicago would just have to live with being in a cap world and at the end of the day, take the compensation and walk away with.

 

The Canucks could easily make room to be able to offer $7.5M annually to Panarin for how many ever years they like and the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick (http://www.generalfanager.com/draftpicks/offersheets). The real question is: if the Canucks can show they are good enough this season not to be a bottom feeder (bottom 10 team), then the risk of losing those picks wouldn't be as high and allow for the team to pull the trigger. It's a totally different story and something which you don't consider if they completely fall apart this year but I'm talking hypothetical in which they are a middle of the pack team who are in the running for a playoff spot and show they can benefit from the offersheet, not worrying about the picks.

 

 

Here's a history of NHL offersheets: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_players_who_have_signed_offer_sheets. It happens every now and then and if the Canucks are good enough to be knocking on the playoff door or end up making it this year, I don't see why management doesn't consider this. $7.5M is something out of the reach for Chicago and would be fair for the Canucks considering they'd be getting a skilled 1st line scoring winger. The organizational depth at LW is scarce as is anyways and we'd have an instant replacement for Dank. Panarin alongside Bo would be pretty sweet as well...I mean, you can't tell me you think about that and don't get excited - a future top line of Panarin-Horvat-Boeser/Jake :PB) 

Yes if Jim Benning thinks were contending for a playoff spot. No if he thinks were finishing bottom 5. If we could draft a 1C (aka Patrick) then our team would look deadly in the future.

 

Panarin-Patrick-Boeser

Beartschi-Horvat-Virtanen

 

Juolevi-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

 

Demko

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BaerToBo said:

Yes if Jim Benning thinks were contending for a playoff spot. No if he thinks were finishing bottom 5. If we could draft a 1C (aka Patrick) then our team would look deadly in the future.

 

Panarin-Patrick-Boeser

Beartschi-Horvat-Virtanen

 

Juolevi-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

 

Demko

Sorry to burst your bubble but then we can't have Panarin :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cannot imagine how Chicago could keep this guy.  If they somehow moved Hossa they would have room, but he has a NMC and 5 seasons left on his contract (plus a whole set of penalties if he retires or is bought out).  I suppose it's possible that they'll give a team a whack of picks to take Hossa, and then sign Panarin to a deal that is more modest than what you've outlined.  What seems an awful lot more likely is that they'll get a king's ransom for Panarin so they can keep doing what they're doing.

 

People also tend to forget that the player being targeted has to actually sign the offer sheet.  In this case, he might actually be a prime candidate.  If his point totals can justify a much higher salary than the club wants to pay, it would pretty easy for him to short-circuit his restricted status essentially and really cash in.  Personally, even if he has another incredible season, it would seem like a real long-shot to pay that much for someone who may not be nearly as good if he has to be the best player on his line, let alone his team, never mind the fact that you have to forfeit so many picks.  That would hurt.  I think that has to be a major reason why offer sheets aren't a big thing.

 

If I was in Bowman's position, I might look at getting a handsome return for Crawford, signing Panarin, and landing a great cheap goalie.  But of course, the key to that would be utterly elite evaluation abilities, and even those guys have a tough time with goalies, so this scenario seems unlikely to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd trade a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd for someone of his calibre any day of the week. It is so improbable to draft someone who develops with such talent, skill, and production at the NHL level, it would be a mistake not try. His shot is unreal, too. He's only getting started in this league. 

 

I'd rather trade those 3 picks + a prospect for a sign and trade. That way the Canucks create no enemy in the Hawks or be perceived by the league as poachers for taking advantage of the Hawks.

 

Panarin Boeser Horvat Virtanen Baertschi  Juoelvi Gudbranson Hutton Tanev Marky Demko and future picks. What's there not too like? Such balance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Toews said:

The Hawks will either re-sign him or trade him before he even hits free agency like they did with Saad.

I imagine your right ..  no way they are just gonna lose a piece like this for nothing .    would love to have him though .  

 

would also love to have mcdavid  ..  just sayin ...     lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but then we can't have Panarin :lol:

When offer sheeting another teams RFA, the draft for the current year would have already passed, so the picks being given up would be for the NEXT years draft.

 

Las Vegas is going to be gifted a lottery spot, and will likely end up with 1st over all regardless this coming draft. With 2018 looking to be kind of a meh draft (from quick googling, plus it's a bit hard to tell who the top prospects will be just yet), I'd say if Panarin gets to July 1st, 2017 and doesn't have a contract extension, it's worth the risk to try and pry him loose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

LWer 24 years of age. Scored 77 points last season. Some say he benefitted from playing alongside Patrick Kane but Panarin held his own and is a 1st line calibre player regardless. Not to mention, it's a 2way street and as much as it helped playing alongside Kane, Kane also benefitted from playing alongside Panarin so there's that.

 

Chicago is cap strapped having a handful of core players signed long term and even for this upcoming season, they've filled in the remaining roster spots with minimal salary players since they can't really have any other expensive guys.

 

 

...guestimating after this season, the Hawks would have to sign Artemi somewhere in the ballpark between $6M-$6.5M to successfully fit him under the teams cap and a part of their future. If an organization were to give the Hawks a problem with an offersheet, I think an offer between $7M-$7.5M would be able to do it. Something Chicago would just have to live with being in a cap world and at the end of the day, take the compensation and walk away with.

 

The Canucks could easily make room to be able to offer $7.5M annually to Panarin for how many ever years they like and the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick (http://www.generalfanager.com/draftpicks/offersheets). The real question is: if the Canucks can show they are good enough this season not to be a bottom feeder (bottom 10 team), then the risk of losing those picks wouldn't be as high and allow for the team to pull the trigger. It's a totally different story and something which you don't consider if they completely fall apart this year but I'm talking hypothetical in which they are a middle of the pack team who are in the running for a playoff spot and show they can benefit from the offersheet, not worrying about the picks.

 

 

Here's a history of NHL offersheets: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_players_who_have_signed_offer_sheets. It happens every now and then and if the Canucks are good enough to be knocking on the playoff door or end up making it this year, I don't see why management doesn't consider this. $7.5M is something out of the reach for Chicago and would be fair for the Canucks considering they'd be getting a skilled 1st line scoring winger. The organizational depth at LW is scarce as is anyways and we'd have an instant replacement for Dank. Panarin alongside Bo would be pretty sweet as well...I mean, you can't tell me you think about that and don't get excited - a future top line of Panarin-Horvat-Boeser/Jake :PB) 

Yes, the canucks should also should take on odd jobs like mowing lawns and cleaning eaves troughs.

We need a convincing sign so we can sign burgeoning talent on the meridian in the turn lane.

" Edmonton  has Lucic/McDavid , Calgary has Brouwer/Gudreau... anything helps. Please. "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

LWer 24 years of age. Scored 77 points last season. Some say he benefitted from playing alongside Patrick Kane but Panarin held his own and is a 1st line calibre player regardless. Not to mention, it's a 2way street and as much as it helped playing alongside Kane, Kane also benefitted from playing alongside Panarin so there's that.

 

Chicago is cap strapped having a handful of core players signed long term and even for this upcoming season, they've filled in the remaining roster spots with minimal salary players since they can't really have any other expensive guys.

 

 

...guestimating after this season, the Hawks would have to sign Artemi somewhere in the ballpark between $6M-$6.5M to successfully fit him under the teams cap and a part of their future. If an organization were to give the Hawks a problem with an offersheet, I think an offer between $7M-$7.5M would be able to do it. Something Chicago would just have to live with being in a cap world and at the end of the day, take the compensation and walk away with.

 

The Canucks could easily make room to be able to offer $7.5M annually to Panarin for how many ever years they like and the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick (http://www.generalfanager.com/draftpicks/offersheets). The real question is: if the Canucks can show they are good enough this season not to be a bottom feeder (bottom 10 team), then the risk of losing those picks wouldn't be as high and allow for the team to pull the trigger. It's a totally different story and something which you don't consider if they completely fall apart this year but I'm talking hypothetical in which they are a middle of the pack team who are in the running for a playoff spot and show they can benefit from the offersheet, not worrying about the picks.

 

 

Here's a history of NHL offersheets: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_players_who_have_signed_offer_sheets. It happens every now and then and if the Canucks are good enough to be knocking on the playoff door or end up making it this year, I don't see why management doesn't consider this. $7.5M is something out of the reach for Chicago and would be fair for the Canucks considering they'd be getting a skilled 1st line scoring winger. The organizational depth at LW is scarce as is anyways and we'd have an instant replacement for Dank. Panarin alongside Bo would be pretty sweet as well...I mean, you can't tell me you think about that and don't get excited - a future top line of Panarin-Horvat-Boeser/Jake :PB) 

offer sheets  don't work, never have and never will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...