The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The summer of 2017-2018 Signing RFA (Proposal)

Do we or don't we? (proposal)  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, I know no one ever signs a RFA, but there are 2 prime candidates that, I believe should be looked at in the summer of 2017-2018, it will solve our center problem, and I believe we can afford 1 or the other.

Now with 3 + million in cap space this year, Miller (6 million), and Burrows (4.5 Million), plus what ever the cap moves next year (2 million), we will have plenty of coin to sign both Horvat (4 million) and Gudbranson (5.5 Million) needing new deals, we should have approx. 6 million, to spend on a RFA.

IMO, we should go after either Leon Draisaitl (20) from Edmonton or Evgeny Kuznetsov (24) from Washington, as both players are up for contracts in the summer of 2017

IMO, we should offer 7 year, 7.5 Million contracts, and force their clubs to put big money up, for these players. I honestly think it would upset their internal pay structures enough to possibly have them consider taking the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks it would cost.

This would give us our #1 center, and put us in a very good position, to move forward at a real chance at competing in the west. I would also like to add, that with both Hank and Danny, coming to the end of their careers (give or take a year), we will have enough cash to move forwards.

Enough games, of rewarding losers for loosing, take back, and think of your won club. I think Vancouver is in a perfect position to move on this, and suggest Benning goes for it.

This of course is dependent on whether we win the lottery and are able to pick a #1 Center ourselves (Actually my first choice, but with Canuck luck it will never happen.)

How's about the Canucks management worry about re-signing Bo Horvat, Brendan Gaunce, Erik Gudbranson, Ben Hutton, Nikita Tryamkin...and then worry about re-signing Anton Rodin, Philip Larsen and Andrey Pedan rather than chasing a bunch of unicorns?  

Offer sheets to RFAs that end up in actual player transfers happen as often as a blood moon, so any conjecturing and speculation is a waste of data space. 

If I were JB, the free agents that would be of interest to me on July 1, 2017 would be Brent Burns and Kevin Shattenkirk...you know, the UFA variety that doesn't cost you anything else but money and a roster spot.

20 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

How's about the Canucks management worry about re-signing Bo Horvat, Brendan Gaunce, Erik Gudbranson, Ben Hutton, Nikita Tryamkin...and then worry about re-signing Anton Rodin, Philip Larsen and Andrey Pedan rather than chasing a bunch of unicorns?  

Offer sheets to RFAs that end up in actual player transfers happen as often as a blood moon, so any conjecturing and speculation is a waste of data space. 

If I were JB, the free agents that would be of interest to me on July 1, 2017 would be Brent Burns and Kevin Shattenkirk...you know, the UFA variety that doesn't cost you anything else but money and a roster spot.

wtf 

Just my opinion; Washington would match.  

Draisaitl, touch and go. Question from our end.  Is Draisaitl worth the commitment of a 1st, 2knd & 3rd round pick. Plus the massive cap hit?   He might be??? It's a year away and he shows signs. But has not proven so just yet...

On status quo I believe Edmonton takes our draft picks, "Lives" with former number one overalls RNH & McJesus as 1 & 2C. And uses the saved cap hit on D.

14 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Just my opinion; Washington would match.  

Draisaitl, touch and go. Question from our end.  Is Draisaitl worth the commitment of a 1st, 2knd & 3rd round pick. Plus the massive cap hit?   He might be??? It's a year away and he shows signs. But has not proven so just yet...

On status quo I believe Edmonton takes our draft picks, "Lives" with number. One overalls RNH & McJesus as 1 & 2C. And uses the saves cap hit on D.

I'd take Draisitl for that price no questions asked.  Even Edmonton couldn't ruin him despite their best efforts.  He's a playoff type of player and should have great chemistry with Boeser.

Edmonton needs to move RNH asap if Chiarelli has any braincells left unless they're counting on Vegas taking him.

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd take Draisitl for that price no questions asked.  Even Edmonton couldn't ruin him despite their best efforts.  He's a playoff type of player and should have great chemistry with Boeser.

Edmonton needs to move RNH asap if Chiarelli has any braincells left unless they're counting on Vegas taking him.

They would be crazy to let RNH go to Vegas for basically  free....I think you are right, they trade him before the end of the season, and then resign Draisaitl.....I still say go for it, and force them to over pay their 2nd Line Center.......of course they would have the Crosby, Malkin thing happening,  but at least they have to pay big

I would take a run at both, if I was given the chance....but just to get one, you pick which one to go after first

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

They would be crazy to let RNH go to Vegas for basically  free....I think you are right, they trade him before the end of the season, and then resign Draisaitl.....I still say go for it, and force them to over pay their 2nd Line Center.......of course they would have the Crosby, Malkin thing happening,  but at least they have to pay big

I would take a run at both, if I was given the chance....but just to get one, you pick which one to go after first

Not for free.  Vegas is likely to have a lot of options on defense compared to forward.  Might work out well for them to draft a couple of extras and then make a trade or 2.

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle, Lucic, even cough Yakupov, can all be protected.  And then there is no stress because with 7 total forwards to protect they can still cover two more. Their choice of letting go of Kassian, Maroon, Pouliot, Lander or Pakarinen...  And can only lose one.

No tragedy unfolding there, is there? 

15 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle, Lucic, even cough Yakupov, can all be protected.  And then there is no stress because with 7 total forwards to protect they can still cover two more. Their choice of letting go of Kassian, Maroon, Pouliot, Lander or Pakarinen...  And can only lose one.

No tragedy unfolding there, is there? 

No, I think you got me wrong there. The only reason I think they trade a center is for a DMan....and the fact that those 3 centers will be too expensive as a group....it would be nice for Edmonton, but I think too costly.

My suggestion is to put in a offer sheet on Draisaitl while Edmonton is trying  to  get him for a discount.....it is my opinion  that he and Kuznetsova would be  worth taking a run at, as I feel both will be very good centers, maybe even elite

If you want to get Draisaitl now is the time (2017 summer)

I believe King Heffy was who suggested moving RNH or letting Vegas take him..

14 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

No, I think you got me wrong there. The only reason I think they trade a center is for a DMan....and the fact that those 3 centers will be too expensive as a group....it would be nice for Edmonton, but I think too costly.

My suggestion is to put in a offer sheet on Draisaitl while Edmonton is trying  to  get him for a discount.....it is my opinion  that he and Kuznetsova would be  worth taking a run at, as I feel both will be very good centers, maybe even elite

If you want to get Draisaitl now is the time (2017 summer)

I believe King Heffy was who suggested moving RNH or letting Vegas take him..

My suggestion was that they trade him to Vegas, not expose him in the draft.

Archived