The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) FLA - VAN

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm okay with others seeing them considered (currently) on the same level.  I just see Barkov as a far better player now, and in the future.  I do see a Huberdeau level player in a Sedin deal.  But I see twins as great players, as evidenced by their both being in the top ten of scoring.  

If Huberdeau was on a different team with a closing cup window maybe a player at his level (more likely a slightly less proven player) could be considered but he's not.  Panthers are an up an coming team that has just opened their window and it will be open for the next 10 years.  It would make zero sense for them to move a young star who is a core piece of their team for short term rental players.  That would really put a quick time frame on their window,

If we ever move the Sedins be prepared for a very late first round pick, possibly a couple 2nd round picks (maybe a conditional first) and a couple low end prospects.  Only way we get more is if we take on a long term cap dump.  Which isn’t a really smart move considering our own young players are starting to get into the bigger contracts and we won’t have that much free space in the near future.

For instance, you might be able to get Drouin but you’re also retaining 50% of the twins (7million) and taking back a 5 year Callahan cap dump (5.8).  That would mean we’d have 2 years of 12.8 cap locked followed up with 3 more years of 5.8 cap locked up.  In that 5 years span, Horvat, Markstrom, Hutton, Gudbranson, Baertschi and Drouin would be set for big pay raises,  We’d find ourselves in big cap trouble holding onto all the cap dump.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If Huberdeau was on a different team with a closing cup window maybe a player at his level (more likely a slightly less proven player) could be considered but he's not.  Panthers are an up an coming team that has just opened their window and it will be open for the next 10 years.  It would make zero sense for them to move a young star who is a core piece of their team for short term rental players.  That would really put a quick time frame on their window,

If we ever move the Sedins be prepared for a very late first round pick, possibly a couple 2nd round picks (maybe a conditional first) and a couple low end prospects.  Only way we get more is if we take on a long term cap dump.  Which isn’t a really smart move considering our own young players are starting to get into the bigger contracts and we won’t have that much free space in the near future.

For instance, you might be able to get Drouin but you’re also retaining 50% of the twins (7million) and taking back a 5 year Callahan cap dump (5.8).  That would mean we’d have 2 years of 12.8 cap locked followed up with 3 more years of 5.8 cap locked up.  In that 5 years span, Horvat, Markstrom, Hutton, Gudbranson, Baertschi and Drouin would be set for big pay raises,  We’d find ourselves in big cap trouble holding onto all the cap dump.

I think that's what the OP was getting at with the entire "trade of the Twins" concept.  They would return a Huberdeau level (young) player.  I just don't think Huberdeau is anywhere close to Barkov.  IMHAO, to put those two on the same level is not correct.  

On 26/09/2016 at 2:20 PM, Alflives said:

What's that quote?  "Won't get young stars with the Sedins". 

In response to above.  "Barkov or Huberdeau".  

2+2 = you stated Huberdeau was a young star player, same as Barkov.  Or, would the Twins return Huberdeau?  Which is it?

Crosby is a star, Thornton is a star, are they equal now? 

On 9/26/2016 at 2:54 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I agree with you. When I made this topic I was saying we should go for Crouse, who ended up getting traded a couple days later. If Crouse was still there, I do think the Sedins would net him in a trade as he is a good prospect but completely unproven in the NHL. Huberdeau or Barkov would never be on their end of that deal.

Archived