The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you risk your life to save another?

D.B Cooper

Are you willing to risk/sacrifice your life or well being to save someone else's life?

Would you run into a burning building?

Would you take a bullet?

How about donate a kidney.

Would it matter who the person is?

Would the situation matter?

Or are you superman/woman/person who is just waiting to take that bullet for a stranger?

16 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Are you willing to risk/sacrifice your life or well being to save someone else's life?

Would you run into a burning building?

Would you take a bullet?

How about donate a kidney.

Would it matter who the person is?

Would the situation matter?

Or are you superman/woman/person who is just waiting to take that bullet for a stranger?

Yes

many years ago in calgary, i was walking home from the bar. this old boarding house for seniors was on fire..fire department hadn't arrived yet..i was the only one there...on a second floor landing's window, i saw a man feeling his way along the landing..then he crumpled to the floor. if i had raced in and went to that landing, i might have been able to save him. but i  froze and did nothing..shortly after that the fire truck got there. apparently, several old people died there, including an old man found on that landing. i was ashamed of myself for a long time after. i know i would give my life for my family but i don't know if i would for others. no hero here

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

many years ago in calgary, i was walking home from the bar. this old boarding house for seniors was on fire..fire department hadn't arrived yet..i was the only one there...on a second floor landing's window, i saw a man feeling his way along the landing..then he crumpled to the floor. if i had raced in and went to that landing, i might have been able to save him. but i  froze and did nothing..shortly after that the fire truck got there. apparently, several old people died there, including an old man found on that landing. i was ashamed of myself for a long time after. i know i would give my life for my family but i don't know if i would for others. no hero here

Takes a big person to admit that. 2nd floor fire is not an immediate 'go' for me. You are likely a hero for saving your own life and having your friends and family still know you. Hopefully those that died went quickly, p ainlessly and enjoyed full lives.

Tough to say when in the situation.

My wife and I have had a few particularly sketchy run ins in our travels, specifically in Paris and in the Dominican Republic. In those two instances, I stepped in front of my wife. Thankfully, nothing life threatening came from these run ins, save a minor knife wound.

Since I've traveled a whole lot and quite socially aware, I'm always mindful of my surroundings. With that, I always let my wife know "what's what". Would assume this would be the same for my soon to be born daughter.

As for anyone else, probably. I'm of the belief that our society should look after one another. Doesn't matter if someone would do it for me or not, I do those things because that's how I was raised.

Years back, I had gotten home late at night with my ex girlfriend. 

We were walking through the yard from the car when we heard something really close to is in the grass.   

We looked over and saw two huge raccoons not even 5 feet away.  

I pushed her towards the coons and ran for the door!  

I have no idea why.  I'm not even scared of animals.  I grew up in the Rockies.  I love them.    Maybe it's because I secretly hated everything about her but her booty.

i read a story about 2 young girls and their boyfriends walking along a beach...must have been in florida.   an alligator grabbed one girl's leg. the 2 boys ran off screaming, the other girl jumped on the gator, hitting it's head..the gator let go the other girl's leg. her friend helped her to safety. 

I'd catch a grenade for ya...

But you won't do the same (would ya?)

I think many people have the impulse to help their fellow man, but frankly it depends on the situation. Personally I would be willing to get involved to help but it depends on personal risk involved and who is at risk.  Maybe give a situation to discuss? 

44 minutes ago, luckylager said:

FTFY

No, that would be done by the likes of Linda Shaver and Leanne de Souza, two low-life realtors from HomeLife Benchmark Realty in White Rock (story: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-realtors-give-widowed-dad-condolence-card-with-offer-to-sell-house-1.3020537).  

Realtor Rod sounds like an upstanding realtor.  Plus, he's a known Canucks fan.

Back to drummer's question...I honestly don't know what I would do.  My immediate reflex is to say that I would do so for my wife and family, and our two dogs, but for others, I honestly don't know.  I've stood up for other people at various times, but never have I ever been in a place where I've had to save someone at the risk of my own life.  I can only hope that if ever I find myself in that spot, I would act more like a hero than a zero.

There are so many different variables that could/would/should affect my decision in a life or death scenario.  I'm a pretty selfless person so I feel as if I'd risk my life (not necessarily give my life) in a number of different scenarios to help someone else.

Archived