The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars sign F Jiri Hudler [1 year x $2M]

Crackers

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Canucks just keep getting rekt by the Stars lmao.

First the Hamhuis no deal/Russell trade, then they sign Hamhuis in the offseason, sign Cracknell, and now Hudler. 

...somewhere Gaglardi is laughing uncontrollably knowing he's taken the piss out of us :lol::lol: 

**Inb4 we beat them in the WCF**

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah. I mean, when I think of difference makers on a roster, Hamhuis, Hudler, Russell, and Cracknell always come to mind first. Elite talent there!

A little something called depth that all teams who consider themselves playoff worthy - which Canucks management do - need.

Just now, J.R. said:

Depth, isn't so much our problem right now.

Uh, yes it is.

We didn't have anywhere near the depth to move on when players got injured last season. That was a major problem the team had being unable to replace the likes of Sutter, the dmen, wingers when they all went down. Playoff calibre teams can hold their own and get it done since they have the depth.

:wacko: 

1 minute ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Uh, yes it is.

We didn't have anywhere near the depth to move on when players got injured last season. That was a major problem the team had being unable to replace the likes of Sutter, the dmen, wingers when they all went down. Playoff calibre teams can hold their own and get it done since they have the depth.

:wacko: 

And we have more depth this year (including more developed youth). 

Depth isn't the issue this season. What we lack is clear cut top 6/top 4 quality. And that's ok, we're rebuilding, there's going to be question marks.

P.S. any team would have struggled with the amount of injuries to key players we had last year. That we're also rebuilding is the reason we crashed so spectacularly.

Just now, J.R. said:

And we have more depth this year (including more developed youth). 

Depth isn't the issue this season. What we lack is clear cut top 6/top 4 quality. And that's ok, we're rebuilding, there's going to be question marks.

P.S. any team would have struggled with the amount of injuries to key players we had last year. That we're also rebuilding is the reason we crashed so spectacularly.

Not what management is saying. They say we are a playoff calibre team.

...wouldn't have signed Eriksson/traded for Gudbranson/tried trading for PK Subban if we were "rebuilding". 

I would have happily taken him for 2m.  In fact, I would have paid him even more than that, and maybe given him an extra year as well.

2m is a steal for a guy who at least has the potential to put up nearly a point a game. 

I was holding out hope we were going to land him, but now more than ever I'm really wondering where that second line winger is going to come from.....

Just now, TheRussianRocket. said:

Not what management is saying. They say we are a playoff calibre team.

...wouldn't have signed Eriksson/traded for Gudbranson/tried trading for PK Subban if we were "rebuilding". 

Yes they are. Rebuilding while remaining competitive is EXACTLY what management have been saying for a few years now.

I'm not sure why so many of you have trouble grasping the concept? I can understand possibly disagreeing with the methodology but simply not grasping it is pretty damn funny.

So yes, we really would have signed them while rebuilding. And yes, if we're relatively healthy, we're likely a bubble playoff team. Somewhere between 10-20 in the league.

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I would have happily taken him for 2m.  In fact, I would have paid him even more than that, and maybe given him an extra year as well.

2m is a steal for a guy who at least has the potential to put up nearly a point a game. 

I was holding out hope we were going to land him, but now more than ever I'm really wondering where that second line winger is going to come from.....

What do you mean bro? We're 10x better off having Virtanen in that role and rushing his development.

Who cares that he's already uncomfortable as is and it'll damage him more than it already has right!?

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Problem is that given we're not favoured contenders, we're less likely to land guys like him even at a bit of extra $.

People really don't appreciate how well Benning did to get Eriksson here. Albeit at a longer term than most would prefer (price you pay when not at the top).

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We've gone too far in to go halfway now. Not signing Hudler may end up causing Benning to make a desperation trade to fill our scoring needs. I don't wanna see that happen because we could end up seeing valuable young pieces (Gaunce and Subban) and picks dealt to fill that need. 

What evidence do you have to support your assertion, either from past moves or indications that Benning panics and makes knee-jerk decisions?

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Yes they are. Rebuilding while remaining competitive is EXACTLY what management have been saying for a few years now.

I'm not sure why so many of you have trouble grasping the concept? I can understand possibly disagreeing with the methodology but simply not grasping it is pretty damn funny.

So yes, we really would have signed them while rebuilding. And yes, if we're relatively healthy, we're likely a bubble playoff team. Somewhere between 10-20 in the league.

I don't think you know the difference between rebuilding and wanting to be a playoff team. The Leafs are rebuilding. The Canucks are not. The Canucks are 'retooling' but no way in hell are they "rebuilding". Thus why Gudbranson and Eriksson were acquired and they were shopping their 1st round pick to bolster the roster.

:lol::lol: 

3 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

I don't think you know the difference between rebuilding and wanting to be a playoff team. The Leafs are rebuilding. The Canucks are not. The Canucks are 'retooling' but no way in hell are they "rebuilding". Thus why Gudbranson and Eriksson were acquired and they were shopping their 1st round pick to bolster the roster.

:lol::lol: 

What Toronto is doing is tanking. It's not mutually exclusive with rebuilding. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

You're the only one who seems confused out of us two. Frankly I don't care what you call it, rebuild, retool, reboot.... matters not. There's roster turnover, far more youth and a far broader prospect pool. 

If it quacks like a rebuild...

Just now, J.R. said:

What they're doing is tanking. It's not mutually exclusive with rebuilding. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

You're the only one who seems confused out of us two. Frankly I don't care what you call it, rebuild, retool, reboot.... matters not. There's roster turnover, far more youth and a far broader prospect pool. 

If it quacks like a rebuild...

I mean sure, if that makes you sleep better at night nice. 

I love it when people can't admit something. And yes it does matter what it's called. And I didn't "call it", you 'called' it a "rebuild". Fact of the matter, that's NOT what the Canucks are doing.

Just now, TheRussianRocket. said:

I mean sure, if that makes you sleep better at night nice. 

I love it when people can't admit something. And yes it does matter what it's called. And I didn't "call it", you 'called' it a "rebuild". Fact of the matter, that's NOT what the Canucks are doing.

So they're not turning over the roster, not getting younger, and not broadening their prospect pool depth and quality...?

Ok...:blink:

Archived